1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now a two Prius household

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mmmodem, Jan 9, 2016.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did it. I just purchased the 2005 Prius I laughed about my sister buying a decade ago. She had passed it down to our little brother who moved to Japan years ago. He finally committed to staying there and sold it to me with 129,000 miles.

My first impressions of the vehicle 10 years ago was that it was severely under powered. Fuel economy was in the high 40's not 50's as Monroney sticker assured. The intense rattling of the trim pieces up front and back drove me bonkers. Handling was borderline dangerous. If I have to risk my life for LRR tires, I'll rather buy regular tires and suffer even worse fuel economy. The tires were also very stiff, uncomfortable, and did little to help the rattle situation.

10 years later, 3 of which after owning a Gen 3 Prius my impressions on the 2005 is more favorable. 2008 EPA estimates are now more inline with the mid 40's fuel economy I average. The OEM LRR tires have since been replace by cheap brand tires meaning the cabin is a quieter and more inviting place. Handling is par with my PiP. Power steering is noticeable less boosted. More force is needed to 3 point turn than in a Gen 3. No seat height adjuster. No 3.5 mm AUX in, no USB, and no BT means I use a lousy Bluetooth FM transmitter. :( Only one 12 volt slot. No HSD indicator so I just drive the car not being cautious of how hard I have to press the pedal. Using the MFD to control HVAC is interesting. I'm glad they changed that for Gen 3. My coworkers MFD failed and he has to control using the steering wheel by feel because he has no display. California forced me to do a smog check when transferring title. :mad: Looks like they only recently required hybrids to do smog. Insurance fell $14 from a 2006 Honda Civic LX with the same coverage. Coincidentally, I bought that car 10 years ago while my sister bought the Prius. We sold the Civic with 190,000 miles. Even now my choice would've been to keep the Civic and sell the Prius, fuel economy be damned. But 60,000 miles is quite a bit more risk. Although the Civic with it's timing chain has required no major engine service over it's lifetime with me. 1 brake pad change (I hypermile) and 10k oil changes with dino oil. The Prius with its 5k OCI would've been double the cost.

Overall though, this vehicle has aged extremely well for a 10 year car. The rattle that seemed so out of place when new is now acceptable for its age. All electronics still work. My 10 year old Civic from new is now louder, engine vibrates at idle, sun visors split open, acceleration is noticeably slower. In other words Prius still seems new. Civic is well worn. I now have a spare tire I can borrow whenever I like for my PiP. :) No more stupid flying buttress. Although putting a cup in the cup holder just like the Gen 3 causes rattle. Anyone else understand that? :confused:

wjtracy likes this.
  2. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to the club!

[​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

mmmodem and wjtracy like this.
  3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to a Gen 2! It always interesting comparing different vehicles. I haven't driven a Gen 3, but I think the 2 is just the right thing for me. Interesting that the 3 has lighter steering. That helps cement my liking for the 2. The Gen 2 seems like a plucky, rugged car to me. The 3 doesn't give me that impression.

4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My main issue owning both a Gen-II and a Gen-III is that they changed the locations of many dashboard controls. Even after owning both for over 5 years, I am still turning on the radio when I want to be putting the car in park when it is dark outside.

Bill the Engineer

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, i do that too, and worse, i hit auto, which is like pushing the nuclear missile button.:mad:

i don't understand why, with lights off, the park button is illuminated when in park, instead of when it's not. and the fresh/recirc is lit?

mm, does the gen2 wheel fit?

#5 bisco, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two 12V power outlets in 2G Prius. Look in the center console to find one outlet.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorta, it's a smaller diameter than the Gen 3 spare.

I've been jabbing the empty space to the right of the steering column on the Gen 2 where the start button is on the Gen 3.

bisco likes this.