1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now taking reviews on GY Triple Treads, and the Michelien Hydroedge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rae Vynn, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've looked at the M Hydroedge, at Costco. They will run me about $125 each.
    I've seen that a lot of people have gotten the TTs.
    If you have either one of these tires, I'd like to hear about your experiences:
    Snow?
    Ice?
    Heavy rain?
    Cost?

Thanks! :)

2. TooFolkGR

TooFolkGR New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 17 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]480388[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure if those are the only two you're interested in, but just like you I was looking at the Michelin HydroEdge. Instead, I ended up getting the Michelin X-Radial (available from Warehouse Clubs only). Per Consumer Reports it performs just as well under all-weather conditions as the Hydroedge, and is a considerably quieter ride. It's also cheaper. I paid $350 installed for four of them, though that was during the "Buy four tires get $60.00 off" sale that Costco has every year and may be over now.

I have since driven the X-Radial in torrential downpours on the way to Virginia and through the mountains of Pennsylvania. It is indeed a quiet, comfortable tire, and I felt completely safe and secure even in the harsh weather conditions.

3. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, I found tirerack.com, and looked at the reviews there.
    It's almost dead even between the two tires, really... all of their testing, reviews, and charts have the two tires so close in quality, handling, etc., that it's 6 vs. 1/2 dozen.

I can get the Hydroedges through Costco, for close to the same price as at tirerack.com, when they are having their $60 off/4 sale, end of August. I'll probably do that.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just got Hydroedges from a local dealer. I can't tell you the base price per tire -- I don't have the invoice with me -- but the total with all taxes, fees, balancing and valve stems was $531 and some change. I do remember balancing as being $9 per wheel, so the base price is less than what Costco quoted you.

I can't comment on bad weather handling yet; I haven't driven in any since I got them. I estimate fuel mileage took a 5-10% hit. I should regain some (hopefully all) of that with wear on the tires. They seem a little noisier than the Integritys, which is not surprising given the more open tread design. Handling and ride seem decent, though it's a little early to judge yet.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have Michelin's on the Camry and Goodyears on the Prius's. I have learned the hard way that high end (wear ratings greater than 700) tires are the right answer. You are comparing two of the best choices here. If you get a better deal on one brand then go with the better deal. (I am use the the M's being slightly more.) If everything else is even then I would get the Michelin's based on the 800 (max possible) wear rating. I have had extremely long life with past Michelin tires (>50,000 miles) on Toyotas.

Please note that I am NOT qualified to address snow tires so if this is a factor, listen to others.

6. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!
    I appreciate the input.
    Snow is a short-lived, generally heavy-wet stuff, around here. Rain, and heavy, deluge-buckets of it, is the bad-weather norm.

The cost at Costco included mounting, balancing, and the road hazard warranty. It was an estimate, as I don't remember the exact price ($535 for 4? before the $60 discount? I think that's close), and was using that as my guide for comparison shopping...

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oh, One additional thought. Make sure that if you have the tire pressure sensors in the wheels, that the tire shop knows about it and that they do not destroy your sensors. It's happened to others.