1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now that winter is here... question about heat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by doogster, Nov 28, 2012.

1. doogster

doogster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a used 2008 Prius - and I've only had it since March... so I don't have any experience with needing the heat.

My stepson is working at the local mall and I have to pick him up at night... and he is scheduled to get out at 10PM... but usually doesn't actually walk out the door until 10:15P or so... leaving me to sit in the parking lot for awhile...

So far I've been shutting off the car and freezing because I'm afraid I will drain the battery or something...

Is this fear legit?

What is the downside to sitting there with the heat blower on for 15 mins?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The heat comes from the engine (ICE) just like any other car. The only drain you are going to have on the HV battery is whatever 12V equipment you have on; radio, heater blower motor, etc. The ICE will turn on and off based on coolant temperature and your cabin temperature setting. Unless you have the AC on or maybe headlights you should not have to worry about the HV battery as long as you leave the car powered on.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you just keep your Prius in "Ready" mode, the only effect will be a reduction in MPG as the engine will start periodically to maintain its temperature or to charge the HV battery as required. There will be no damage to your Prius.

JeffD

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No fears, No problems. Like jdenenberg said, once you get to the mall, simply leave the car in "Ready" mode. What I found that works great for me is to simply set the temperature to the number that makes you comfortable, and while the climate controls are showing on the MFD hit the "Auto" button, then hit the A/C button. That will turn the A/C compressor off, but still let the system work automatically for you along with adjusting the fan speed and keeping the temperature at the number you set. If you feel cold, just raise the number a little and vice/versa if you are warm lower the number a little bit. During the day, if it gets too warm due to sunshine coming in, just kick the A/C on to cool the cabin, then turn it back off when you don't need it. If you don't run the compressor, you will get better mileage than if you do run it. Yes, the compressor is electric, however the electricity comes from the traction battery which is charged by the ICE.

The Prius has a great heater in it and it should keep everyone nice and toasty even on the coldest days and nights. Just leave it in "ready" mode and let the computer do the work for you. Hint: If you run "Auto" all of the time year round the A/C compressor will also run year round. Any time you change something after hitting Auto, that particular part will no longer be controlled automatically. But if you hit "Auto", everything is controlled by the computer. It sounds like "Auto" is the way to go, but it is not always the most economical MPG wise. Turning off the A/C during the winter really helps with the MPG numbers.

Hope this info helps you.

Ron