1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NTSB on Tesla Autopilot accident

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 14, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In sum, fed safety seemed to concluded the equipment (autopilot) operated within specs, &, they liked the idea of Tesla designing furure data removal in a way that fed safety could access data w/out requiring manufacturer's assistance, which would prevent any future foul play .... though none was implied by fed safety.

Of note - feds didn't suggest 'real' improvements to the (older) system, which AP (autopilot) 2 has in fact already done. AP2 warning/visual/strobe flashing starts earlier, as does the loud annoying display beeping .... & speed deceleration when hands are off the wheel. Of course there's other improvements as well. Way more cameras & sensors, coupled with more powerful data processors running 40X faster, to diminish a scenario where (eg) there might be an elevated flat trailer crossing in front of you in a low horizon sun scenario, & driver is distracted by email, texting, playing video Yahtzee on a gameboy, or whatever.

Our recent 1,600+ mile - interstare road trip ran about 75% of the time while using AP2. The only 'issue' (wife's) was that if driving in the slow lane on the freeway, AP2 might be inclined to take the off-ramp. As you maintain steering wheel pressure to prevent it, autopilot disengages. That teeny bit of jerking back unnerved the better ½, so i'd have to drive at least one lane to the left to prevent that phenomena.

I've read an online letter/comment from the dead person's family, which read very much out of character from what the societal norm is nowadays. They pretty much corroborated that the car was not at fault, & that the tech, although not idiot proof, it actually does diminish the amount of accidents /fatalities. Imagine that, somebody passing up a chance to shake down Tesla insurance riders.

#2 hill, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What bothered me is no discussion of the type of sensors. I was pretty sure they were only optical, no radar, which I think is major limitation. It may have been fixed but driving in poor visibility, I really appreciated the TSS-P radar. Our BMW i3-REx is optically based and often not so 'reliable:'
    • Sun angle and shadows can lead to false alarms
    • Seems to require about 5 minutes to warm up
    • Shuts itself off if confused (i.e., cresting an overpass with a large highway sign at the base)
    Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Sep 14, 2017
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Bob,

The radar also has its limitations. I was driving down I95 in snow/slush conditions and my 2016 Prius flashed alarms telling me that ALL safety features have shut down and I was on my own. A layer of dirt on the front Toyota emblem blocked the radar signal. A disturbing, but easily rectified problem - clean the emblem with a damp cloth.

JeffD

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well if they can put wipers and washers on high-end, headlights ...

Bob Wilson

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    all the high-tech accident prevention stuff is typically up high on the windshield center where wipers & washers will clean. In addition - you can see the defroster elements in the tesla's setup, looking inward, from outside the windshield. i took that pic maybe 4 months ago, of our AP2 forward-looking setup. Unlike AP1's single forward - looking camera you have the observable improvements ... but i don't recall which is laser/radar/camera or whatnot.
    2017-02-04 16.42.04.jpg

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still prefer radar for fog. Would the Tesla in the accident have laser range finder?

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Sep 14, 2017
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing wrong with a little cross-checking redundancy, either.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    An interesting side issue that I discovered with my spouse's Subaru Crosstrek "Eyesight" system (3D optical - no radar) is that they warn NOT to use Rain-X or equivalent on the windshield as it will affect system calibration.

JeffD

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Saw that in the Camry manual. I think for the LKA.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    btw - the latest OTA update we got just just yesterday had a parental control setting (password protected) that allows the Tesla to be throttled down to a max speed between 50 and (I think) 90mph - so that your kids (spouse?) can't do stupid things anymore. The white page on the update actually incorporates the teenagers name, which I didn't know, until I Googled it. Anyway - I have a suspicion that my better ½ is going to tell me there's something wrong with her car because she can no longer go above 80 mph.

bisco likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What you want is a velocity profile of the car. But I think the Ford commercials give an excellent approach, "The car must be broke because . . . "

Bob Wilson