1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NTSB Urges Ban of Cell Phone Use While Driving

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jdcollins5, Dec 13, 2011.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On some very small level I think this is true - holding the phone does add some small extra exertion to the process, but all of the studies show that the distraction comes from the conversation. I think the bigger issue that having a phone pressed to your ear makes it less likely that you will do things like use your turn signals.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You haven't a wife, I take it??

:D

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One thing we haven't discussed is the assumption that the risks associated with talking while driving are uniform for all situations. In reality, there are many factors that can increase or decrease the risks: geography, locality, traffic, road condition, weather, type/length of conversation, and so on.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been in two accidents involving distracted driving. In one I was backed in to at a stop like by a guy who was being yelled at by his wife for missing his turn. You can't just hit mute on that b&^% sitting next to you. Maybe it should be illegal to drive with a distracting spouse or kids?

The second was I was rear ended by a speeding woman on the access road. She was talking to 3 friends in the car. I hit the brakes to not hit a possum, but she slammed into me. She was mad, as if it was my fault. One friend from the back seat said stop bitching and just give him your insurance information. I'm sure she saw that this woman just didn't slow down.

I'm not opposed to anti texting laws, but leave us with our hands free and gps. They are less distracting than many of the other things going on in cars. I also don't want to have cops lip reading us, or calling the cell towers to see who they can pull over.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GPS is a better drivers aid than the alternatives (like printed directions from google maps) - it's designed to give you the information you need verbally and/or at a glance, allowing you to continue focusing on the road ahead. It lets you know when your turns and exits are approaching so you aren't making stupid decisions at the last minute when you see a street sign. If you're trying to go someplace you've never been before and need directions, GPS is by far the least distracting option available.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is a very important point! Plus, if I'm talking to a passenger and coming up to something that requires more attention, I can stop talking and my passenger understands why. If you're on the phone and suddenly stop talking, the person on the other end is likely to distract you further by asking if you are still there, or start talking as if you were done speaking.

1 person likes this.
  7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Regarding existing technologies, the most useful is probably one that can read text messages for you and let you dictate a response without taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel. Ford Sync can even take a call for you and respond with something like "Can't talk right now, I'm driving."

Maybe more innovations in this direction is needed. But the ultimate solution, IMO, will have to be a combination of technology, education, and law. And the deciding factors will be economics and politics.

1 person likes this.
  8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    SAFER ! :rockon:

2 people like this.
  9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting article that is relevant to our discussion.

http://autos.aol.com/article/cell-phone-laws/

Indeed, a report issued on Sept. 28 by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) found that that laws banning texting while driving did not result in fewer car crashes. HLDI is part of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Further, the HLDI reported that, after the bans went into effect, there was actually a slight increase in the frequency of insurance claims filed under collision coverage for damage to vehicles in crashes. The finding was based on the number of such claims filed in four states (California, Minnesota, Washington and Louisiana) before and after their texting bans -- compared with patterns of claims in nearby states.

Similar findings were recently reported in a study conducted by the AAA of Southern California.

1 person likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Any law is only as good as its enforcement.

3 people like this.
  11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully it becomes Federal law and is strictly enforced. This could be the start of providing safer roads AND a new source of revenue to help run the government.

DBCassidy

1 person likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The basic fact people who want to yap on the tele (hands free or otherwise) while driving continue to ignore is that they are impaired to a level equal to a blood alcohol level that is illegal.

3 people like this.
  13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Let's think back to the "good old days" a moment.

The quetion was ... what was driving like before cell phones?

In the old days, cars had bench front seats. Your date could sit just as close as you/she wanted. Before they were outlawed, there was a "necker knob." You could easily drive with one hand, and you right arm was snuggled around that sweet young thing holding her tight. My mind was usually elsewhere other than driving ..... but, there was very little traffic where we were driving. There is no attempt to be suggestive ... those were just the facts. I bet all the old guys say ... ya, I remember that.

1 person likes this.
  14. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

We had one on the tractor too...

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And not everyone is effected in the same way by alcohol. Why have a hard blood alcohol limit for DUI laws? There are already laws on the book that allow cops to stop and ticket people for reckless and careless driving behaviors. How about we just enforce those laws, and tack on some heavy sentence modifiers if the reckless driver is drunk. We could do the same with cell phones. The goal is to prevent dangerous driving, correct?

1 person likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Much deadlier, both in absolute and per-mile terms.

About a half century ago, U.S. traffic deaths briefly exceeded 60,000 per year, nearly double the current figure.

Per-mile, the long term trend has been about a 30% reduction in deaths per decade. But there has been considerable short term variation. For example, for more than a decade surrounding Y2K, the decline was just half that, about 15%/decade. Whether that was caused by rising speed limits, increasing adoption of less-safe SUVs, cell phones, or just statistical noise, I just don't know.

1 person likes this.
  17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is this any better than a voicemail message that says "Hi. This is me. Leave a message."? I don't answer the phone while driving. My voicemail tells callers the above. Okay, so they don't know I'm driving, but they can figure out that I'm not available from the fact that they got my voicemail.

If I'm expecting a call, I might look for a spot to pull off the road and check for a message. Otherwise I'll probably wait until I get where I'm going.

1 person likes this.
  18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  19. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have my Prius Handsfree set to automatically answer incoming calls. I wonder if I'm in the minority in that regard.

1 person likes this.
  20. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "It's not an offence to cycle and use a hand held mobile phone. However it is possible to be prosecuted for careless or dangerous cycling."

:)

1 person likes this.