1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

number 3 plug..whats going on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by humgrl, Jul 19, 2019.

1. humgrl

humgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so im changing plugs in 07 prius and all went well except number 3. it feels all wrong. the wrench wont even grab onto anything, with or without rubber in there. its like something is blocking it. ive looked at forums and it was suggested that theres a piece of rubber in the way. ive sprayed silicine in there and got a pick but I don't feel any rubber. the plug? feels much higher than the others. cant see in there and well is to deep for my fingers to reach anything. any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a way to use a small mirror and light, or even just a cell phone to see in there? It's gonna be tough to figure out if you can't get a visual on it. Do all the other ends with the coils on it look identical or is #3 missing something?

3. humgrl

humgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Who was the last one to do plugs in the car? Are there any pieces missing from the COP assembly compared to the other 3?

The chance always exists that "that" plug is different from the rest and your current socket is just spinning on the area above the hex. Try the next size up socket.

Crazy stuff has been know to happen.....

Also, I've found magnetic spark plug sockets to be much more reliable that the ones with rubber inserts.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    im not saying this is what happened to yours... but it reminds me a lot of what happened to me when i was changing mine, my memory is a little fuzzy but i think it went something like this:

1. i put my socket wrench on old plug

2. i unscrewed old plug

3. there was an rubber ring in my socket... i think maybe it was from me purchasing a super cheap spark-plug socket which had the rubber not firmly attached inside, ... it had come loose?

4. i did not realize this

5. i put new plug into the engine with my fingers

6. i put socket down to tighten new plug

7. socket would not grip. rubber o-ring from step 3 had fallen out of socket, got stuck sideways in hole

8. had to get my cellphone fully charged, turned on video with flash on, realize what happened.

9. took a pick or something and pulled the rubber out

again i cant be sure.. but maybe this will help. good luck

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Check the boot you removed from that plug and compare to the others. It looks like there is a rubber ring around the plug and it may have come off the boot.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Use a flashlight and a mirror to get a good view of what is going on. Your photo does not provide sufficient sharpness to see what is the problem.
    2. It may be necessary to use a pair of very long nose pliers to pull out whatever is blocking the socket from grabbing the spark plug hex.
    3. For example: Zenith Industries Long Reach XL Dual Pivot 13.25 in. Needle Nose Pliers-ZN502650 - The Home Depot
    4. It might be necessary to remove the engine cowl that runs across the rear of the engine compartment (the windshield wiper motor is located within) for better access to the spark plug well if you need to use these very long pliers. If so, do not be dismayed, it really is not that difficult to remove the engine cowl. Once you are used to doing it, it takes 15 minutes or less.

8. humgrl

humgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks Pat. I ended up taking pictures with my phone and blowing them up to see the problem which turned out to be a rubber ring left from a previous owners attempt at changing plugs from their spark plug socket . it was so stuck around the plug almost under it, I had to spray silicone down there and literally fish and pull and work it out with two picks and a lot of patience which I was running short on. after hours and a few choice words, I finally managed to get it out. what a nightmare though.

donbright, dolj, Skibob and 2 others like this.