1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Number of large suitcases in a gen3 w/ seats up?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by weixulu, Jul 22, 2016.

1. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I currently have a gen2 and due to the nature of my work, I often have to drive my clients to and from airports.

It gets really annoying when there are two people with 3-4 large suitcases. I take out the cargo floor and the cargo area can hold about two large suitcases lying flat (see attached image).

Now that I'm considering buying a new vehicle this month, I'm thinking about getting a gen3 (I don't like v, tried one and hated it). Do they have deeper/ longer cargo areas that can hold 3-4 suitcases lying on the sides, without folding down seats?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

#1 weixulu, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have exact measurements but the cargo area is slightly taller underneath the tonneau cover (this is comparing with the false floor in place for both Gen 2 and Gen 3). ~1" maybe? One of our old large suitcases would not fit under the tonneau cover bar in the Gen 2 (and there's a slight bulge when the cover is pulled) but in the Gen 3, it fits under the bar and therefore could be slid right up to the back of the seat.

The cargo area is also wider at the floor between the wheels.

Here's an excerpt from the 2010 press release

So you might be able to fit them on their narrow sides, therefore fitting 3 instead of 2.

Also, if you can swing it, a Gen 4 without the spare tire will definitely fit 3 (and a 4th sitting on top of the 3) as they took away the false floor and moved the battery, effectively creating a larger floor compared to your setup in the photo.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not much different, i would look at prius v.