1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It is the caliper piston boot. The pic is awaiting moderator approval.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can get kits for that. I would go to Toyota, but you can probably find them on ebay,
    or any auto parts store...

Tyschuh likes this.
  3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought rebuilt kits for the rear calibers couple of years back from O'Reilly for less than $9.00 each kit..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tyschuh likes this.
  4. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Do you have advice on how to get what I would call an "o-ring" out that holds the boot in inside the caliper? Specific tool/s?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rebuild info in the attached I think.

Attached Files:

RastinoSLOVAKIA and Rebound like this.
  6. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That helps, thank you!!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a metal scribe to reach in and pull it out. It "shouldn't" be too hard....

Tyschuh likes this.
  8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that looks like the caliper piston dust boot. Is anything getting inside the piston area? or its just an outer layer tear? If there's nothing getting inside the piston then I'm not too worried about it, but if there is a hole going into the piston area, I would replace it since dirt and stuff can get in the area and can cause the piston to seize up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes when compressing the piston for new pads the boot doesn't "behave", doesn't fold back into uniform ripples all the way around. You want to keep an eye on it just before putting it over the new pads; make sure it's not going to get pinched.

10. FriedCells

FriedCells Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just want to say thank you for these videos. I did subscribe and like all videos that I watched of yours on YT. Within the last 2 weeks, thanks in large part to these videos and other posts, I did a LOT of work on my 2011 Prius IV with 150,000 miles. I performed all the following for the first time: I changed transmission fluid, drained and filled both coolant reservoirs, added oil catch can, changed all interior and exterior bulbs to LED's, installed a full power CT200h driver seat, cleaned throttle body, MAF sensor, Intake manifold, switched out oil filter housing for a screw on type filter connector, cleaned the engine, changed PCV valve, cleaned EGR pipe and cooler.....SO clogged (bad photo...sorry):
    IMG_20200709_170116.jpg
    Oil catch can:
    catchcan.jpg
    Car is running like new. So happy that I was able to do it all by myself with the help of this community. At 120,000 miles, I did spark plugs and 12V battery. Don't think there's anything left. My seat and interior lighting mods:
    IMG_20200721_184600.jpg IMG_20200724_204150.jpg

11. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It was going into the piston area. From what I've read and what it says on the Toyota Prius Repair Manual that Mendel attached is that Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease is the only lubricant that can be used for lubrication on these parts bc it will be in contact with brake fluid? Couldn't I use a little brand new brake fluid to provide some lubrication to make it easier to get piston in?

I'm a little confused on the directs from the Repair Manual (Mendel attached these) looks like seal goes in first, then? I fit the boot over the piston to allow the piston/boot to slide in the cylinder (keep ripples uniform like Mendel said above), push it in far enough so that I can get set ring put in?

12. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm a little confused on the directions from the Repair Manual looks like seal goes in first, then? I fit the boot over the piston to allow the piston/boot to slide in the cylinder (keep ripples uniform like Mendel said above), push it in far enough so that I can get set ring put in?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Never done it, but thinking about it:

That first seal is what holds back the brake fluid, and the outer boot is to accommodate piston travel while still preventing dirt incursion?

Seems to me you should be able to bring piston out a little further than normal (carefully), pop off the old boot, install the new?

I'm guessing there's two grooves on the piston: one further back for the seal, and one near the front, for boot (and set ring?).

(Just on phone now, PDF viewing difficult.)

14. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That makes sense.

From what I've read and what it says on the Toyota Prius Repair Manual that Mendel attached is that Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease is the only lubricant that can be used for lubrication on these parts bc it will be in contact with brake fluid? Couldn't I use a little brand new brake fluid to provide some lubrication to make it easier to get piston in?

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can use brake fluid. That's what I've always used. I've only done 40 or 5o caliper wheel cylinder
    rebuild and none have failed. (that I know of) :)
    Just use plenty of fluid, and take your time sliding the puck in. It is a very TIGHT fit! Don't use any metal, or any
    tools to press the square ring/seal on the puck in, only your finger. Maybe us some very fine sand paper to smooth
    the edge of the cylinder. Brake cleaner it out really well. Try to make it as even as possible, and it will go in.

Once you have the puck in all the way, you can put the dust shield on. Don't use anything on the boot, it should
    go on with little effort. Then the metal ring to hold it in place.

Go slow and carefully when rebuilding the caliper. Your life and other's lives depend on a job done right!

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the boot replacement can be done without brake fluid spillage?

upload_2020-7-29_11-21-13.png
    Then:
    upload_2020-7-29_11-22-22.png

And the "piston seal", the ring inside the bore that does the brake fluid sealing, is in a groove cut into the caliper bore. Can be left alone?

FWIW, I've used Sil Glyde Brake lubricant on the caliper pins, strongly suspect it would be an ok stand-in for "lithium soap base glycol grease".

17. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I was able to get it done. The hardest part was getting the set ring to seat well. Thanks for all the help!

NutzAboutBolts and ASRDogman like this.
  18. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I was able to get it done. The hardest part was getting the set ring to seat well. Thanks for all the help!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Tyschuh

Tyschuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hey NAB, I'm hoping to bleed the brakes tonight using your video,

I did come across this on the Lexus HS250H forum, made me a little nervous, a commenter there said the non Techstream/scanner can used to do brake fluid replacement but Not to do brake bleed. He posted the two attached Toyota documents that seem to agree with that. Although, those instructions are for 2014-2018 Highlander. Possible, that with newer vehicle the manual process had become not recommended for brake bleed? What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I knew you would. It's pretty easy....