1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NY Times: Cruze "Fossil fuel milage champ"; hybrids still win city, burbs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kgall, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today's (July 20) NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/automobiles/autoreviews/fossil-fuel-mileage-champ.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hpw

Quote from article:
    "I’ve beaten the E.P.A. economy estimates with most of the diesels currently on sale, and I did so again with the Cruze. Over a 4.5-hour drive to Monticello, N.Y., and back to Brooklyn, I managed 49 m.p.g. on the highway portion — about what I’ve achieved in VW diesels.​

That’s impressive, though the benefits are less compelling for drivers who often cool their heels in traffic. Hybrids still trump the efficiency of diesels in city and suburban driving — though they are invariably less fun and satisfying to drive."​

Well, technically, since hybrids without plugs get everything from fossil fuels anyway, I'd say that the headline is an overstatement, but it's still an interesting article. I hope the Chevy Cruze diesel becomes a real competitor in North America for VW diesels.

2. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing against a diesel Cruze, but if I flip the wording around, the writer is saying that a Cruze is more fun and satisfying to drive than a hybrid.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm happy VW will no longer be the only game in town. :D

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JMD likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    27 mpg city ?!
    Whatever did they do to manage such a poor rating ?

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only comes in Automatic; 27/46 mpg + the 4.5 gal. of DEF, mileage is close to Cruze Eco; Compare Side-by-Side .

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Weight. This generation of Cruze was designed in GM's bloated era, and the diesel model is a little more than 300 pounds heavier than the Eco model and the diesel Jetta. That's going to hurt city fuel economy.

Diesel owners report better than EPA on average. The worst diesel Cruze on Fuelly at the moment is at 30.3mpg. That's below the reported EPA combine. However, the owner reported mix of city to highway is 71% to 29%. The car is likely still in break in phase too. The car has only been out since May. So still too early for user reported data to give a complete picture.
    Cruze D (Chevrolet Cruze) | Fuelly

8. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's heavy for a compact and the slushbox automatic probably hurts too.

9. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no intentions on buying a diesel sedan for economics. You might get 10 more MPG but you'll be paying 50 cents extra for the fuel in my area.

Scorpion and JMD like this.
  10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Diesel is not the future

11. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the future? I think it's still better than the plain old gasoline engine. I live in the present and diesel works fine for me here.

12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    EV Is the future.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot figure out the the NYT headline. Perhaps it was a typo and should have read:
    Cruze fossil fuel mileage chump.

Scorpion likes this.
  14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Quite a weird category. I could see it saying something like best in a price class, but no the cruze diesel is in the same price class as the prius.

Its pretty easy to see why the city mileage may not be as good as the jetta tdi
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel First Drive – Review – Car and Driver
    Still if you are only doing highway, it seems to get great mileage at higher speeds

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Diesel = Fine = C

Getting a grade of just status quo isn't exactly a good sign for the future. We really need to strive for a better tomorrow. Comparing to plain old gasoline isn't constructive. Some of us have been driving hybrids for over a decade already.

Hybrid = Very Good = B

Plug-In Hybrid = Great = A

Let's not overlook how dirty diesel actually is either. Requiring a urea system to cleanse emissions just to bring them to the level clean enough to meet minimum allowable criteria is embarrassing. We shouldn't have to lower our standards for diesel that much when SULEV & PZEV ratings are so easy to achieve with hybrids.

As far as the "Fossil-Fuel Mileage Champ" title of the article goes, excluding hybrids fueled only by gas is quite an omission... especially when the regular Prius delivers greater efficiency in every category... not to mention that it offers a larger interior than Cruze diesel too.

And with such a massive difference between highway & city efficiency, overall MPG is going to be far lower than the advertising will inevitably lead people to expect. 46 highway. 27 city. Combined is only 33 MPG from the diesel. That's dramatically lower than the 50 MPG combined from Prius

What makes diesel compelling? The reality that it costs more per gallon than gas is a big deterrent. That makes the fun-to-drive argument a wash when there's a gas version of the same vehicle available.

Flying White Dutchman and JMD like this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Fun to drive" is diesel-washing.

Certainly advert copy extolling black fumes, stink, noise, poor reliability, urea and high price are not attractive.

godzillaismad likes this.
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By comparison the 2013 Jetta diesel curb weight is: 3,161 lbs vs 3,475 lbs for the Cruze.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A hybrid like the Prius, shutting down the engine anytime you're:

* sitting at a red light
    * coasting
    * dealing with light load and/or low speeds

is gonna do better than a conventional setup. What drives it home for me in particular is sitting at that red light, shut down, with all the idling cars around...

19. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't a lot of VW customers just buy the 2.0T or 2.5 instead at a cheaper base price and then get about the same cost-per-mile as far as fuel goes? There's no doubt that you save fuel if you drive diesel, but you're using a much less refined fuel while paying half a dollar more just to get MPG figures that MIGHT be as good as a Camry hybrid, much less a wisely-driven Prius. Please never even bring up the battery costs, because even though that's a solid three grand, a VW's repair costs are just unreal.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    nice to see vw's take that for america and china hybrids are the future. BTW they also don't see fuel cells as selling anywhere close to as well as diesels;)
    You can see at least in epa testing diesels can't keep up
    Compare Side-by-Side

In Europe they drive differently, and have different tests. GM needed to make the cruise diesels for Europe, so why not try to sell it here. Its a good idea. Some want to buy the new clean diesels and they get great highway fuel economy. That doesn't mean there is much of a market.

2013 VW Jetta Comparison Test: Hybrid vs. TDI vs. GLI vs. 2.5 – Review – Car and Driver