1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NY Times: First Buyers of Nissan Leaf Get a Trunkful of Perks

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by cwerdna, Oct 8, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Buyers-of-Nissan-Leaf-nytimes-1361061352.html?x=0

This is good PR for Nissan. It seems like their extra efforts are paying off for them.

Unfortunately, as usual, judging by the Yahoo comments, there's a whole bunch of hate and misinformation, including some directed at Priuses. I have no time to even bother responding to those guys. The comments are almost as bad as you find on YouTube.

2. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The article is also fairly inaccurate. As usual the media decides on a theme and quotes only those who fit the theme.

Those "personalized home visits" are actually home assessments for which you have to pay $100. This is also the thing most people are really angry about since the quotes are astronomical.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    100 miles per charge isnt much of a deal. I'll stick to Toyota!

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Too bad the article didn't say, "Governments are going to subsidized and incentivize EV's ... just like they heavily do for the oil industry each and every year". Maybe a bit too much reality for the faint of heart.
    ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spending 1 billion dollars a day importing oil isn't much of a deal, either.

I can't wait for my EV!

6. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    You must be a terrorist sympathiser who likes sending money to them every other week. :p

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if auto manufacturers can take anything from Toyota and The Prius it should be that if you are trying to market an alternative mass marketed automobile, you have to at least initially be over commited.

I like the fact that it seems Nissan is coming into this strongly. Unlike the Buzz surrounding The Volt, where GM seems trepidacious and untrusting of their own product.

As far as perks...a bottle of Polar Bear repellent would be nice....

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do these 240V stations plug into an existing 240 plug? I don't have any 240V in my garage but am finishing my basement shortly and will lose easy access for running new wires. i was thinking beforehand of putting in a 240V even if it's years before I need it. Ideas?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcome to planet earth!
    :p
    No no no ... the plug and it's wall mounted goodies require a separate setup. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

You can read up on the J1772 plug on wikipedia, or a 100 other web sites. The plug has been talked to death over the past couple years during its development ... ergo the joke above. The leaf can also be quick charged off 400 volt DC ... not for your home/recreational charging
    ;)

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I think I've read about that thing now that I review it on wiki. The station itself, though, that this thing is attached to--does it hook up to a 240 V outlet (similar to a dryer or oven)? I mean it's got to attach to the house in some way :) Ah, on nissan usa: " The home charging dock will require a 220/240V 40 amp dedicated circuit connected to a breaker. The charging dock will need to be hard-wired directly to the circuit by a certified electrician."

11. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were you, I'd go ahead and at least put in the wiring while it's easy. It isn't that expensive, and I'd go for wiring rated for 50A especially if it's not that far. You can just bring the wires into the breaker panel and cap them.

If it's not too far, that will be #8 AWG. Use 2 conductor with ground. (Black and Red) Then you are ready for your EV! (or maybe you want to run a welder or plasma cutter in your garage someday)