1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NYC Prius v Two - where to service after 2 years ownership?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by REW, Feb 17, 2015.

1. REW

REW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would report very mediocre service experiences (felt overcharged and condescended to) where I've taken my car so far and my car is due for a service appointment soon (approaching 20,000 miles). I'm not car maintenance savvy and this is my first car. What options might I have for service and maintenance besides the dealership. Specific reputable private shop suggestions appreciated!

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Toyota dealer where I bought my car is very reasonable on oil changes. After my free maintenance is up I intend to keep going there. I change the cabin filter and engine air filter myself. Something for you to consider. We only have to have an oil change every 10,000 miles.

REW likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you don't mind the drive, we have been very pleased with Penn Toyota, 2400 Northern Blvd, Greenvale, NY 11548

REW likes this.
  4. REW

REW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the suggestions. In theory I could do cabin/air filter changes myself, but even after watching YouTube videos I'm not feeling confident to do it myself. As a teenager I remember my parents always avoiding dealership service to keep from being overcharged and helping independent autoshops. My understanding is today, car service requires a proprietary computer system and has reduced the ability to visit independent shops. Just curious if this notion is correct and what others experience has been getting service at dealerships. Many thanks!

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had a Prius and I watched several You Tube videos concerning how to change the cabin filter. When I did it myself for the first couple of times it was not that easy. Taking out the glove compartment drawer and getting it back in was not easy. It finally became routine to me. Bottom line. I think if you are not comfortable in doing something to a car that you are not familiar with is do not do it. In the past when I had a new Toyota and the free maintenance had expired I continued having the oil changed at Toyota. Then I bought a lifetime balance and tire rotation from Discount Tire which is very reasonable. The only problem with that, for me, is that the workers at Discount Tire are not careful with the inside of your car and at times they get it dirty, dirty hands, dirty trousers, etc. I have a new Avalon so when the free oil changes are over I am going to continue the oil changes at Toyota but I don't know what I am going to do about the tire rotations yet. I'm leaning towards Discount Tire for that because I know they will be cheaper than Toyota. Just have to cover the seats good. No quick oil change shops for me.

REW likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most dealers are awful. find a local AAA rated mechanic. they can do all the routine maintenance on your car. aren't there some on line rating services?

7. REW

REW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good thought - I'll reach out to AAA. Thanks! Also open to specific recommendations in the area. Greenvale would be a bit of a schlep for me, but I like the suggestion!

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Check out Car Talk's member recommended mechanics at the link below. Air and Cabin filters are pretty easy, have someone show you one time after they watch the video. Sometimes good auto part places like AutoZone will put them in for you one time. If you know how, you can buy genuine Toyota filters on ebay and save quite a bit.

Oil changes do not require a dealer but the savings if you use full synthetic oil are not great at the "Quick Lube" places versus calling around to a dealer. I have paid $49 at a dealer while Walmart charges more. But some dealers want $69 or more for the oil change. Tire rotations anyone can do, just make sure they use a torque wrench to set the wheel nuts properly.

One of these Car Talk recommended mechanics would be ok for routine care, but actual Hybrid system repairs, when needed, should go to a dealer or a shop that specializes in Hybrids:
    Mechanics Files | Car Talk

REW likes this.
  9. REW

REW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for this great advice!