1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NYS Thruway EZ Pass has a Green Pass

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by terpsmandan, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I defer to the experts, but the other problem is you have some Prius incentives in at at least 3 EZPass jurisdictions: NJ, Port Auth (NY/NJ bridges), and NY Thruway. So its hard to get all the accounts connected.

We still have our EZPass through NJ but VA is ending the fee so we will probably switch to VA-based EZPass in July.

2. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just faxed my application and registration to get a Thruway Green Pass the other day. Was wondering how long it might take, so thanks to everyone who posted about turnaround time.

And to wjtracy, who asked early on whether people have 4 or 5 different transponders: This will be my fourth. I've had NH, ME, and MA for about two and a half years, and they save me quite a lot since my work often involves using all three in the same day. The MA saves the least, and the NH is a flat 30% off every toll, but I very often save over 200% using the ME since the rate for each trip depends on entry and exit. In addition, ME also gives discounts based on the number of trips per month. 30 will get you a 25% rebate, and 40 will get you 50%. No monthly fees on any of the three.

Some may prefer not to have to think about which one they have mounted, but I kind of enjoy it. I've been busy enough to have forgotten a few times (out of probably a thousand), but all it means is I paid the regular out of state ez pass rate. I have a foil bag with all three of them and room besides, and after I pass through a toll barrier I often reach into the glove box and switch out the one I'll need next with the one I just used. (Also put little pieces of sugru on two transponders so when I reach into the bag, I can tell which one I'm holding just by touch so I don't have to look.)

Chazz8 and ftl like this.