1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama Invades Pakistan!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 2 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]489292[/snapback]</div>

Actually you support my point because i/we do not support the use of ground forces in attacking and destroying irans nuclear program - you are not hunting a man who moves, you are destroying buildings. No need for boots on the ground - cruise missiles, air force, UAV's, etc - not one US ground troop.

And it also points out why we should prevent iran from going nuclear:

1. once they have a nuke, that prevents us totally from going in in any way shape or form
    2. they are already unfriendly to us
    3. they have already threatened to destroy other countries
    4. they do support terrorists and terror activity
    5. they are involved already in killing US troops

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 2 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]489293[/snapback]</div>
    read his words again. pretty clear to everyone else.

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]489300[/snapback]</div>
    I give up, you win.

It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine).

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 2 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]489302[/snapback]</div>
    dont give up so easily.

here are the words of a liberal democrat: "It is dangerous and irresponsible to leave even the impression the United States would needlessly and publicly provoke a nuclear power," Dodd said.

Obama is so unready for the oval office is it frightening. And to think he is a front runner of a once great political party. fdr, truman, jfk are rolling in their graves. jimmy carter must be having massive diarrhea :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 2 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]489302[/snapback]</div>

from the washington post today:
    Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama issued a pointed warning yesterday to Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, saying that as president he would be prepared to order U.S. troops into that country unilaterally if it failed to act on its own against Islamic extremists.

what part of this are we all not getting. obama would invade pakistan! and bush scares you - you guys are too much. like i said, he should sit down, do a little more reading, go get some more educational material about geopolitics, nuclear weapons, military tactics, etc - and then go get another 10 years or more of EXPERIENCE in the senate or his local chamber of commerce and think about running for office again.

Important question: Would Osama seek Congressional approval before invading pakistan? You know, he could make the intelligence up and hoodwink us into another war, this time with a much large muslim country that HAS WMD's :blink:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]489286[/snapback]</div>
    First, I never said I'm "for war" anywhere, so I can't possibly be "for war in Iraq too". I am for diplomacy everywhere but accept that war may be necessary anywhere that diplomacy fails. I've told you innumerable times now, though it hurts you to hear it, that I would be willing to invade Iraq...it's just that our timetables and objectives differ.

Who, perchance, would they use their nukes on? They have nothing to carry it out of the middle east as their weapons systems are designed to protect them against India. You just love these's senseless compound paragraphs don't you.
    Soverign nations borders are all respected until such time that there is an imminent threat to the US and it's entities. A growing mass of Al Queda terrorists is a threat to the US. If the host country refuses to take action to eliminate them then that nation is a supporter and their borders are no longer soverign.
    What if Musharref is overthrown...when, by whom? By Al Queda...yea, that would be terrible, that would give them extraordinary power, control of a country and of the army and weapons (including nuclear) would be a serious problem to the US, Europe and stability in the Middle East. All efforts should be exhausted to prevent that. At this point Musharref's ability to keep the goverment stablized is under serious question and a growing Al Queda threat needs to be controlled. If Musharref is incabable of doing so and the Islamic extremists in his goverment are supporting terrorists then an invasion might be necessary once diplomatic measures are exhausted.

He IS for killing the bad guys that Bush brought into Iraq, he's just not for maintaining a standing army in Iraq.
    I don't know what his exact stance is on Iran so I can't address the second part of your question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]489290[/snapback]</div>
    Now hold on, I think the current tactics being used by the Bush administration in Pakistan are acceptible and exactly along the lines of what Obama wants to do. Apply pressure diplomatically and make sales of weapons and other items contingent upon taking efforts against the terrorists. The situation is tenuous so things won't happen overnight, but I never once complained about Bush's current policy in Pakistan. I think it could be more agressive, but it's a tough situation. But the option for military action must be on the table.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]489328[/snapback]</div>
    We really dont disagree much - now that the bad guys are in iraq - lets stay there and kill them there.

I am however amazed at the lack of intelligence on Obama's part and his handlers about invading Pakistan. Even liberals and liberal media are taken by this. You might not be aware that Pakistan has delivery systems for their nukes that could reach a carrier task force, they could blow it up anywhere and it will have a devastating effect. Obama also increases the risk of musharref getting toppled and having more radical elements take over and then they would be masters of wmd's. either way, it would be near impossible to invade pakistan.

he did not say if he would get congressional approval either - i hope he would. that would be a blast to watch.

have a nice day.

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's sad, really, to see such well-thought-out replies to the flame-baiter's questions and statements.

If it isn't obvious already, Mr. Berman isn't going to give well-composed responses to any reasoned argument, he'll just respond with FEAR and CAPITAL LETTERS.

He has simply, repeatedly and completely refused to take Obama's statements in context, so what more discussion can be had?

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 2 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]489340[/snapback]</div>
    And people wonder why I seriously would bet good money that he's some 14-year-old living in his parents' basement.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take that bet.
    While his debate skills are closed minded noecon parroting at its finest, He clearly is not of the teenage persuasion. Let's not delve right back into the name calling crap again.

What troubles me about his posts (as well as some of the left sided posts here too), is the tendancy to discount anything from the other side of the isle as wrong, simply based on who it came from, instead of what was said. We're not supposed to be cheerleaders for our political representatives. We're supposed to keep an eye on ALL of them and keep them on task. Is it that hard for people to understand that every political idea/decision has drawbacks and merits?

What happened to weighing the pros and cons? Now everything is "you're wrong!...No!..You're wrong!"

9. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    QUOTE(bestmapman @ Aug 2 2007, 09:07 AM)

I can't believe this. Obama was my guy.

He "SAID" he was anti-war.
    He "SAID" he was against going into Iraq from the beginning.
    He "SAID" he would not drag us into a war without knowing the exit stategy.

Now he "SAYS" he would invade Pakistan. Wth

I really thought he was different. I really thought that he would bring change. But no, he is just another politician. I can no longer support him. He has lost my vote.

As a true liberal. I must find a true liberal candidate. I hope Nader runs again. I said in the last election "True liberals vote Nader"

It looks like the only candidate that is truely anti-war is Kucinich. As of now I am switching to Kucinich.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 2 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]489257[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that sums up my position.

"I'm already against the next war."

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 05:39 AM) [snapback]489172[/snapback]</div>
    Ask George W. Bush. Isn't that what he did in Iraq?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Aug 2 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]489209[/snapback]</div>
    Those Nader votes got us George W. Bush in 2000.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]489229[/snapback]</div>
    Al Qaeda was not in Iraq before the U.S. invaded in 2003.

11. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Replying to OP: there's a difference between "invading Pakistan" and attacking terrorists in the Pakistani mountains and that is we're not attacking a nation, but the threat hiding within her borders.

I, for one, think Obama is right. If you have a terrorist attack looming and know where the terrorists are, then the solution is not to sit on your hands and wait for them to strike; You have to take them out! That said, you'd better have darned good, credible evidence before embarking on such a raid, because you don't want to *ahem* build wars based on faulty intelligence.

12. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    He's just like any other politician....it sounds good and tough in a race where he is trying to seperate himself from other candidates - but, in reality, is not a very well thought out foriegn policy statement.

Kind of like his comments on nuclear weapons today.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 2 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]489466[/snapback]</div>
    1. By having Congress declare War
    2. Perot got us Clinton
    3. Whatever you want to believe if it makes you sleep better at night. At least now that we all know they are there, we might as well take advantage of it and have at them. why bother chasing them in the mountains of pakistan.

and do you really believe we could insert US forces into a sovereign country without causing a problem - and what of congressional oversight? would obama seek a declaration of war or just be a loose cannon himself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 2 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]489479[/snapback]</div>
    Obama is an empty suit which is OK, it is extraordinarily dangerous if he is located in the oval office. He should sit down do some reading and get himself some better advisor's at the least. he is actually making hillary look good :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Aug 2 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]489467[/snapback]</div>
    WHAT? I see, al-Qaeda really did not attack the USA, they attacked the threat posed to them by the financial analysts in Manhattan.

What will make Obama's intelligence fool-proof?

When do you want to attack Iran?

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]489489[/snapback]</div>
    Congress did not declare war on Iraq.

Al Qaeda is in Iraq only thanks to Bush and Cheney and company. We must chase them in Pakistan because that is where the leadership is located. Remember Osama?

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK Obama said what!?!? “Actionable Intelligence†from Pakistan! That is such an ignorant statement he should be taken by his staff around to the backside of the shed and slapped like a red-headed step-child. Just one more reason Hillary will win the nomination for the democrats.
    Think about it, Bush gets intelligence from every single country in the world that declares Saddam has WMD’s. Including the prior administration and the support of almost every person in Congress which has access to the same intelligence. Even Saddam’s Generals are shocked when they learn he has gotten rid of the WMD’s because they wanted to use them to fend off the inevitable invasion. This one item, of which there were many, was used for the justification of the invasion of Iraq, inevitably proves to be incorrect. Why? Poor human assets and intel on the ground. Now Bush is labeled as a liar and a war monger. BTW we actually had plenty of assets, including the UN weapons inspectors but the quality of the intel was just poor.
    Now Obama says he will attack a friendly country if there is “Actionable Intelligenceâ€!!! This is a region we know next to nothing about, have little if any assets, human or otherwise and he wants to attack upon receiving “Actionable Intelligenceâ€! LOL! Sorry, that is about as ignorant a statement as I have heard and Hillary must be so deliriously happy she is dancing naked on the table tops. She would never make such a rookie move as embodied in this statement by Obama.

Wildkow

p.s. Watch the contributors and supporters scatter like rats from a sinking ship. . .

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 2 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]489639[/snapback]</div>
    I have a feeling using armed drones is what would be practical.Funny ,this was originally Clintons plan,but Bush fumbled the ball.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/25/...ain560293.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-9_Reaper

17. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

18. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Aug 2 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]489673[/snapback]</div>

That is an awesome post. :lol: As for the actionable intelligence. We have a couple of guys just across the boarder and I can assure you we have a couple more inside Pakistan. So I would say we should pretty much set for 'actionable intelligence'. Unless of course our guys are sharing a bong with lama bin whateshisname's insider and they forgot to text their findings in a timely matter back to white(ish) house.

So as I am joining you on the curmudgeon downhill run today, I say we act on our 'intelligence' and give either Musharref a helping hand or we see to it that Jeb Bush becomes president of Pakistan, either that or we can [caution cynical comment ahead, for comedic use only,not be taken seriously, I am not an Obama advisor] always take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, you know what they say: Its only way to be sure ;)

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Aug 2 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]489209[/snapback]</div>
    Sen. Obama suffers from the perception that he is not up to the bar in terms of being able to guide foreign policy. Senator Clinton devastated him with her comment after he eagerly agreed that he would sit down with the world's worst despots; she rightly pointed out that she wasn't going to be used as a propaganda tool, giving the impression that, like every US President since the country began, she would make third rate, tin horn dictators earn a top level meeting with the US.

So I think Sen. Obama had to give a tough foreign policy speech to show that he wasn't naive, and that he was tough ... especially if he expects to win the votes of middle Americans who don't like our losing in Iraq, but still want to kick nice person and take names when it comes to terrorism.

Or, like other Democrats, he's worried that there might be some progress made in Iraq, and with progress comes hope, and with hope comes more support for those Democrats who have not staked out "all or nothing" stances on the war (namely, Sen. Clinton and Sen. Biden). In the general election, if we are winning in Iraq, a peacenik candidate loses big time to any one of the dwarfs running for the Republican nomination.

He misfired a bit, but it is heartening to see him acknowledge that the issues are tough, and it takes more than bumper sticker sayings ... or the left's favorite bromide these days, extreme anger ... to show your authenticity. Perhaps now some of the real issues can be dealt with on the Democratic side.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Aug 3 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]489813[/snapback]</div>
    Well said, good analysis.