1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama under Secret Service protection.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 3, 2007.

1. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I think the true problem here is one of accountability, not of grammar. The fact that nearly everyone who responded interpreted his post the same way lends credence to the fact that it was, at best, unclear; at worst, as pointed out, meant to provoke a response from the liberals. The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in between.

The fact of the matter is that it was so widely misunderstood that most people (if they were the author) would reasonable have to re-examine their post to try to see the other's point of view and why it was almost universally interpreted one way (and not the way the author claims it was intended). No chance of that happening here. We're all wrong, Kow is completely right because he found a website that agreed with him (which evidently took a considerable amount of effort and time). There is absolutely no responsibility or accountability on his part in the misinterpretation - no effort to bridge the gap created, only defensiveness and attacks. It's our problem, not his; we're at fault, not him. (I'm making an assumption Kow is male, just because it's easier than repeatedly writing he/she, him/her, etc.; which gets cumbersome and may incite the grammar curmudgeons further).

As I see it, this particular thread is a microcosm of what I feel is most wrong in this country today - lack of accountability. We see it in our CEO's, religious and elected officials. We see it in our children, who are not being taught this by parents, because many of them choose to be "friends" with their kids instead of parents, or they just don't care enough. Volunteer with some youth organizations and these children become very easy to pick out. They argue every point, are never wrong, cannot see another's point of view, and have a victim mentality.

A simple apology could have avoided all this, but now it's a feeding frenzy...

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Now I'm upset.

I was perfectly fine reading the post referring to Obama the racist, now ya'll have turned an angry ear to that which is making me upset.

Can't we just call it what it is? Or, do ya'll think Obama takes the approach that "People are People" no matter their gender, color or choice of toothpaste?

He doesn't... He makes a big deal out of race and skin color.

I say, no special treatment for anyone, not the people with white skin, not the people with brown or dark skin, not for tall people, not for short people, no one... Everyone gets to play the game starting with no special rules for their physical description.

Until then, Hussein Obama is a racist.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I enjoy just setting back and enjoying posts, back and forth. better than the comics in the newspapers.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 4 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]435523[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet you're a Fox "News" viewer. I'm almost certain of it. They frequently refer to "Barack Hussein Obama ", although he does not normally use his middle name, and they don't refer to other presidential candidates by first, middle, last name (for instance, I've never heard them mention "John Sidney McCain".)

For the americentric among you, "Hussein" is as common a name in the Arab and Muslim worlds as "Smith" is here. But Fox "News" hopes you'll see that on the TV screen and think, "that guy must be a terrorist". They evidently have a low opinion of the intelligence of their viewers.

Since you have directly accused Obama of being a racist, are you going to offer any evidence to support your allegation? Or are you just going to let your slur on his character go unsupported?

5. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about Hillary Rodman Clinton

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 4 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]435612[/snapback]</div>
    She chooses to use her middle name (which, BTW, is "Rodham", not "Rodman"). Fox "News" did not start that practice.
    Likewise, the president has always been referred to as George W. Bush to distinguish him from his father.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 4 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]435523[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, first of all, what do you think "ya'll" means? Why an apostrophe, and why there? Is it a contraction of "yam" and "will?" No. If you're gonna write a contraction of "you all," the proper way to do it is "y'all." (that's what you get for posting in an already grammar-derailed thread ;) )

Regarding racism, he's aware of his race, and he's also aware that if he's not aggressive about addressing it, it will be used against him in a more subtle and insidious way. Don't try to deny that because you're trying to do exactly that by joining the club that insists on calling him "Hussein." That's as clear an example of racism as anything, since you're doing your best to capitalize on a national race-hysteria against Arabs.

8. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]435609[/snapback]</div>
    I worry how accurate their opinion of their viewers might be. :(
    I think Kow is happy with the misunderstanding. He certainly hasn't tried to make his original point clear...

And racist is definitely singular as a noun, as he used it. Look it up in ANY dictionary. It can be an adjective addressing a plural noun, but NOT a plural noun itself. Kow, show us this website where your grammar was backed up.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I apologize. I'm not a racist.

Wildkow

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]435609[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ May 4 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]435885[/snapback]</div>
    I think their opinion of their viewers is extremely accurate.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 5 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]435993[/snapback]</div>
    Fox "News" did a survey. They asked their viewers, "are you ill-informed?"

57% said "yes"
    14% said "no"
    29% said "can you repeat the question?"