1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama's Foot in Mouth Disease, or

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]495626[/snapback]</div>

Okay. *I'll* say it.

Yes you are a racist. This isn't the only comment you've made that reflects that. It's the same as when Rush Limbaugh and the Free Republic refer to him as Obama Osama. And you've been called on it before and you continue to show disrespect.

I notice the only two candidates that are not referred to by their last names are the woman and the black man. The women gets a condescending reference using her first name when she's not insulted with "Billary" or worse. The black man is constantly referred to with the name of a sadistic dictator. How come the white male democratic candidates aren't getting the same treatment? Or did I miss when you called Edwards "John Boy"? So I'm calling the rascist card. Start in on Hillary and I'll be calling the misogynist card. (Look it up.)

Why don't you name off the middle names of: Joe Biden, Christopher Dodd, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, or Bill Richardson? Why don't you use them for ANY of the Republican candidates? Because they're all white men?

I don't refer to Rudy Giuliani as R. William Louis Giuliani. I do not refer to John Edwards as J. Reid Edwards and I don't refer to Hillary Clinton as H. Diane Clinton. I refer to them with the names in which they wish to be referred. Mitt Romney doesn't like to be called Willard M. Romney and I'll respect that. Barack Obama dropped the use of Hussein, a family name from his Kenyan grandfather and reflecting his multicultural background, in 1996. His name is Barack Obama. Make a note of it.

So continue to refer to Obama as Hussein if you like, but when you're called a racist because of it, don't pull the innocent card or counterattack to try to misdirect. We're only calling a spade a spade. And subtlety isn't exactly your strong suit.

Back to ignoring you now.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]495668[/snapback]</div>
    I intepret that as that looking at the comment alone it has connotations that could be interpreted, by some, as racist. Whether that was your intent or not was not stated here and is purely something you would know, but it warrants caution to avoid such implications.

I think I clearly elucidated my reasons...and you know why the way you choose to say it has adverse connotations.
    I think it's inappropriate. I may say "W" or "Dubya" at times, or just "Bush"...clearly in a flippant way, but one that is also used by his friends.

I'm not insecure about it. But you clearly feel that by stating it the way you do you can imply meaning not inherent in the name itself. If you weren't, why not just say his given name Barrack, or Mr. Obama?

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    D'ohberman

Doctor, please lay off the Hussein thing, you're insulting all of us with your, "what, who? me?" act. If you had not called him such, you would not now be fending off racist accusations.

Get it?

Probably not.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 14 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]495724[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, gawd I LOVE IT!. It's so karmically descriptive.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]495626[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I said it smacks of racism because it does. As others have pointed out you have decided to call only one presidential candidate by his middle and last name, the black candidate with a muslim sounding name. You have done this for months. It is disrespectful, juvenile, and yes, racist.

So Senator Barak Hussein Obama happens to have the same middle name as the former dictator of Iraqi's last name and a name that is very common in middle eastern countries. Get over it.

When I use racist or inflammatory language to refer to individuals or groups of people, feel free to call me anything you would like.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 14 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]495724[/snapback]</div>
    It feels fine thanks. It really reflects more upon you than anyone else. Some of us never grow up do they? I hope that you would be willing to call me that to my face in addition to doing it behind the skirts of the internet - and I highly doubt you would have the guts to do it.

You make me laugh - you tell everyone how to act, what to believe in, and set standards for everyone else but yourself. Must be a 60's thing or some failure in maturation.

No i will not lay off the Hussein thing - why does it bother you if it does not bother Mr. Obama?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]495838[/snapback]</div>
    Here comes the speech police.... And I do not resort to slandering people - I leave that to you and your ilk.

And so what if he is black or Muslim or Jewish - what is it to you? Do you refer to President Bush as Bushitler - and if you do come across someone who does how do you respond to that? Do you bring up his religion or denigrate "right wing catholic conservatives"? Do you defend Catholics when someone slanders their religion or do you just ignore it, let it slide, agree to the statement by silence?

And put the racism card back in your pocket - and I am sure it is a well worn card at that - try getting real. What is racist about his middle name or using it when referring to him?

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]496022[/snapback]</div>
    No I don't refer to President Bush as Bushitler. If someone continually posted threads about "Bushitler for months, yes I would say something.

However, I doubt anyone really needs to question your true feelings since you have started a new thread "Something for Nothing" in which you have said that Imus was correct to call the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy headed hoes" and "jigaboos". If these are acceptable terms for you then I have nothing more to say, you have said all that needs to be said yourself.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, this is one paragraph, and in the next you go on to ridiculously try to defend your own name calling. I suppose that paradox just slipped by ya.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]496037[/snapback]</div>
    I thought if anyone would understand the difference between referring to a person by their GIVEN name vs. an obvious anti-Semitic slur (Doberman is not my given name) it would be you. Guess you dont have that capacity either

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]495589[/snapback]</div>
    I already did... why don't you go back and read it again, you responded to me with some absurd statement about shooting terrorists hiding behid womens skirts or something, despite the fact that i was talking about dropping bombs from planes, as Obama's statement said...

Seriously, can you even understand the concept of a conversation or a train of thought?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]496065[/snapback]</div>
    Doberman is anti-semetic?! Sorry, my background in Jewish history is weak and I miss the connection between a dog breed and anti-semetism....you'll need to educate me there.

And your pleas of innocence are cute, but totally false. Even your neocon cronies aren't coming to your defense on this one. You are using "Hussain" in an intentionally malicious way, you know it or you wouldn't be doing it and you'd doing it because of your prejudice of the middle eastern cultures and the fact that it's the same name as Saddam Hussain. That's the fact and none of your smoke and mirrors distractions are convincing anyone...except maybe yourself.

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]496065[/snapback]</div>
    anti-Semitic slur? Let me get this straight... relating an individual to a dog is anti-semitic if that individual happens to be black, but relating an individual to an enemy of the US isn't racist if that individual is black?

Also, i'd like to point out that back on December 7, 2006 you asked that we stop calling you doberman. With the exception of one or two time, it has stopped. you asked kindly, and we complied. You even thanked us for our cooperation. I would hope that you could provide us with the same cooperation in refraining from using a phrase that we find disgusting and crass.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 7 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]358828[/snapback]</div>

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]496096[/snapback]</div>
    I need no help defending myself - especially from what is obvious to most - and i never would want any aid or assistance in defending myself.

You continue to name call too - you must be one heck of a compassionate physician.

And yes, doberman is offensive and intentionally employed in an anti-Semitic manner - especially after i numerous times have expressed my views on it. if you cannot see that, you have blinders on. here is a simple test that most of those here will get:

i go up to Mr. Barak and call him by his given name and we will see if he does anything.

and then,

Godiva or whomever called me doberman (again acting in a cowardly fashion behind the skirts of the internet because I am sure she would not have the guts to do it to my face because she knows it is wrong and that there would be consequences associated with it) comes up to my face and calls me doberman and we will see if she even dares to call me it and if she decides to what would be the reaction to it.

or perhaps you could choose an impartial judge and get their opinion about the two names....

and here we are again, with the liberals reaching down to their usual tricks of once losing the argument or having no substance resorting to name calling...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 15 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]496102[/snapback]</div>
    you make absolutely no sense at all.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Please explain to me how calling you doberman is anti-semitic. I don't call anyone else doberman. No jews, no christians, no budists, no one. Just you. As it's been explained numerous times, the name is derived from your chosen screen name, as dberman looks a lot like doberman. In fact, if you go back a year and look at the posts, i was using the term doberman well before i ever knew your religious preference.

Instead, what you're doing here is trying to hide behind a shield created by the millions of bodies produced during the holocaust. You don't like what someone is saying in attacking you, and rather than defend yourself in a proper manor, you label them an anti-semite in a vain attempt to get people on your side. You're extremely hypocritical if you think calling Obama by his middle name is any different at all from calling you doberman. Both are used in a condescending manor. Both are designed to relate the target of derision to something that isn't viewed in a positive manor. If you insist on saying that doberman is a anti-semitic term, than you have to acknowledge that calling Obama by his middle name, with the same end goal as when you are called doberman, is a racist comment.

By all means, ignore what i'm saying, or say that i'm not making sense. Saying that doesn't strengthen your position or make you right.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]496133[/snapback]</div>
    The hell I do. Short of abreviated things like "Dr. B" I've not called you names even once.

Bull s**t David...complete bull s**t. There is absolutely nothing, aside from your insecurities and paranoia, that suggests anything anti-semetic. Is it offensive, sure...just like using Hussain as a slur is offensive. But you have zero grounds to say that it's anti-semetic. People have taken liberties with my last name too in the past, but not once have I suggested that it has anything to do with my religious views. In your case Doberman is a contortio of your first initial and last name that some find suits your personality, not your religious beliefs.

You go up to him and call him "Hussain" with the same snide tone you use in your posts here and the SS will have your nose on the pavement before you know what hit you. Real name or not context is important.

You use the same internet defenses as she and the rest of us do, don't be all self-rightous about it...you're no better.

Let me reiterate...most of us, including me, have not name called. But I have used logic, reason, and very clear English to point out how YOUR name calling of a presidential candidate demeans you as a person and devalues your opinions and how seriously they can be considered when you must resort to such juvenile means to make any points in your debate.
    I do, however, agree with you that I think it inapproiate for folks on the board to call you names as well. It similarly weakens their arguements and makes them look as foolish as you do when you name call. Point being I discourage anyone who wishes to make a point and be considered seriously to avoid name calling of anyone. At least once you graduate from 3rd grade.

One last thing, when the trolls here make snide comments about my abilities as a physician based upon whatever idiotic reason they've decided to be offended that's one thing. But when a fellow physician want's to insult my ability and/or compassion as a physician that is despicable. Our discussions on this forum are FAR different than anything in the real world, particularly with our patients. And more important is the fact that I've never called you names and other than calling a troll a troll no one else here a name either. I rose above that long long ago...perhaps you should consider doing so as well.

Just a reminder...I want to repost the text of my original comments that sort of kicked off this tangent in the thread.
    Now, if you'd have simply said. "You're right, I can agree to use the name Barack or Obama without the juvenile implications I indended with the persistant emphesis of the "Hussain" middle name in the future so that these discussions can stay on track." We could have moved on. But you ignore, cajol, distract and get pissy and defensive.

You're a bright man, but you make yourself look so foolish when you are so petty and irrational and refuse to even consider anything besides your extreme right views. I'm sad to say that its just that kind of extremist unbending self-rightousness on both sides of the aisle that have so many Americans frustrated with and embarrased by our goverment. And it's what makes Obama look like such a good candidate b/c he's the one guy who has repeated emphesised the desire and ability to try to rebuild the bridges b/w the two sides. But he's probably doomed to fail with folks like you, on both sides, trying to set charges at the base of those bridges to repeatedly bring them down. I'm afraid it's what'll bring this country down, eventually, as well.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]496206[/snapback]</div>
    I never said you called me a name, you have not. In fact, save for coming to the rescue of your friends who have obviously lost their tongue or perhaps woken up a bit, I have no idea how we got into this.

People respected your request not to insult you, why have they not done that with me? And I have mentioned that referring to me in a term that is "dog-like" is offensive and I find it insulting to my religion too. I still find it offensive when they use that term, and I repeat that it is my expressed belief that they would never come close to uttering it in my presence - If I use Barak's middle name - it is his given middle name - if he finds it offensive, I would stop using it - i could care less of what other people besides him thinks of his given middle name. he obviously has NO issues with it - why do people here have issues with it if he does not??? You see it is hard to "name call" if you are using HIS GIVEN NAME. Doberman IS NOT MY GIVEN NAME - and i will state for the record again, those that wish to call me doberman should be willing to do it to my face and not from behind their mothers skirt. And even if they do, what gives them the right to use derogatory terms when referring to me - who appointed them judge and jury? mr obama does not need the little people here to defend him like president george walker bush needs little people to defend him on the daily kos.

and if you want to vote for him fine - i have not see a less qualified and experience person to run the country since jimmy carter and at least carter was a governor of a state for a bunch of years. i am not bringing obama down any quicker than he is shooting himself down with the absolutely stupid comments that emanate from his mouth on almost a weekly basis.

i did not mean to question your abilities as a physician, I am sorry. I truly think we could sit down and enjoy each others company over a nice glass of red wine. there are others here that i do not think that of - in fact i would have zero desire to meet them, and there incessant name calling would probably be ringing in the back or front of my mind and i would find it tough to control normal impulses that would cause me to defend myself if they were in front of my face when they called me doberman - especially after being told REPEATEDLY that i find it offensive..... I am all to happy to be going to Krav Maga tonight for several hours - it wont take much to get me in the mood.

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]496249[/snapback]</div>
    Regardless of the reasoning behind it, we do find it offensive when you use his middle name, just as you find it offensive when someone uses the term doberman. We've asked you to stop. We've explained that we find the manor in which you refer to him offensive.

What does it matter who finds the term offensive? The fact is you are intentionally offending many people on this board through your stubborn insistence of referring to him in this manor. When you told me you found the term doberman offensive, i stopped using it, as did most other people on this board. when we tell you we find something offensive, you should show us the same courtesy and respect.

As for calling it to your face, if we ever meet i will. gladly. while i will refrain from doing so here in an attempt to keep the conversation polite, i do find the comparison very apt. You're stubborn, make civil discussions personal, and have no apparent sense of decency, just like most dobermans i know.

18. Doberman

Doberman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 15 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]496295[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! I resent that!

19. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evan, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps Berman is a Jewish surname? I don't have the slightest clue, but that's the only thing I can think of that would make the insult anti-Semitic in any way, and even then, I think it's quite a stretch. :huh:

I absolutely don't think anyone in this thread thought it was an anti-Semitic insult except Mr. Berman himself. If such a 'doggy' insult had been applied to my surname, I would hardly think of it as an insult against the Irish, so regardless, I think he's being a bit oversensitive (or just using it as a smokescreen for his own silliness) about the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Deliberately referring to Mr. Obama by his middle name, though, is an attempt to associate him with an infamous character, thereby insinuating that he, too, is of unsavory character. The doberman insult is childish, but no more childish than the intent of Mr. Berman when he wrote his post. And I thought the 'doberman' post illustrated that well.

Now, I'm just waiting on an exhilirating round of "I know you are, but what am I?" ;)

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]496206[/snapback]</div>
    Ban him already. In what way is his behavior different than any other troll except for the fact he's been here longer? And maybe owns a Prius. None of that gives him carte blanche.

(And you'd be surprised what I'd say face to face. I'm exceptionally polite on the internet.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.