1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama's running

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yet another great example of how narrow minded and flat out dumb those who call themselves reasonable leftists are...

THINK for a moment, what does his name MEAN?

Barak Hussein Obama

Just on the surface, he's a man of RACE. This country is NOT YET ready for a man of race to become President. Period. That's all there is to it, don't be fooled. It was what, only 40 years ago segregation was in FULL swing? We are FAR more likely to see a woman on the throne than a man of race who barely fits the criteria of being born in the US.

Do you really think anywhere near the majority of American voters get into technical discussions regarding politics? No, it's the person who can make the best overall IMPRESSION on the voting public. Think back to your highschool class president, 95% a popularity contest, and the same applies to the U.S. Presidency.

So yeah, I guess discussing the man's name is truly "puerile"... :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, I will bet my Prius against anyone else's he will NOT be the next United States President.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 19 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]378079[/snapback]</div>
    Ok then let’s talk about why a Presidential contender would vote against mandatory health care for aborted babies that survive outside the womb. Is that germane material or not?

Wildkow

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees." -- President Bill Clinton
    attributed to an august 12, 1993 speech FAKE

"“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." Josesph Goebbels

4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    sorry to say I went on my rant tonight with a friend.... there are far too many bigots in this country to elect any minority, whether a man or a woman as president. period. anyone who thinks otherwise is only fooling themself.
    the republicans have already started their attacks on Obama...and I won't even start on the Hillary discussion

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 19 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]378143[/snapback]</div>
    You haven't been listening to the news. Most of the stuff learned about BHO comes from democratic aides/organizations working for other demoncratic presidential candidates. Nice try though.

Wildkow

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 19 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]378128[/snapback]</div>
    I have already covered this in another post. Suffice to say that I have hundreds of sites that affirm this quote and none that refute it. If you have something won't you share it with the rest of us?

BTW, what does your source say about these quotes?

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"
    President Bill Clinton at press conference in Piscataway NJ 3/1/93, Boston Globe 3/2/93 & USA Today 3/11/93

"When you hear somebody doing it [criticizing the federal government], you ought to stand up and double up your fist and stick it in the sky and shout them down."
    --Bill Clinton - Billings, Montana, 1 June '95

Wildkow

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jan 19 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]377868[/snapback]</div>
    According to the video clip in the original post, and contrary to the title of this thread, Barak Obama is not yet a candidate. He has formed an exploratory committee. This means he has gotten together a bunch of people whose opinions he values, to look into the possibility of his becoming a candidate for the nomination.

I think he'd be a better president than we've had in my lifetime. But I suspect, as others have said, that this country may still be too racist to elect a person of color to the presidency, regardless of his or her qualifications. I would certainly vote for him. But at this point I think he's a long shot to get the nomination. I believe the democratic party, like the country at large, is still too racist to nominate him.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 20 2007, 03:55 AM) [snapback]378191[/snapback]</div>

Why not just call the man BO?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 20 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]378193[/snapback]</div>
    As you said, it was covered in another post that you never bothered to read. MeganPrius did the research:

"MegansPrius:
    Posting real quotes or quotes in context would be better. For example

REAL QUOTES

1."You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say." -- President Bill Clinton
    Full quote: "The plan cuts the deficit by $500 billion, cuts a quarter of a trillion dollars in Government spending, asks the wealthy who can best afford to pay their fair share, invests in education and jobs, and rewards work instead of welfare.
    [At this point, audience members interrupted the President's remarks. ]
    Let me tell you something—wait a minute. You know one thing that's wrong with this country? Everybody gets a chance to have their fair say. My budget did more to fight AIDS than any in history, and we're having to put up with this. Tell them to let me talk. If you want to give a speech, go out there and raise your own crowd. We'll be glad to listen to you.
    So there were those—I'll make you a deal. I'll ignore them if you will.

President William Clinton addressing the people of Philadelphia, May 28, 1993 in the Courtyard, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA.

2. "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." -- President Bill Clinton
    Full quote: "I think -- you know, we can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles -- it's something I strongly support -- we can't be so fixated on that that we are unable to think about the reality of life that millions of Americans face on streets that are unsafe, under conditions that no other nation -- no other nations -- has permitted to exist."-- Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session at the Adult Learning Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 1st, 1993

FAKE QUOTES
    You can read the transcripts of his MTV interviews on http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ search his speeches (by keyword, by phrase) and guess what? You won't find him saying either of these.

3. The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people" -- President Bill Clinton
    Not a real quote. Attributed to Clinton on MTV in 1993 or 1994. FAKE

4. "If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees." -- President Bill Clinton
    attributed to an august 12, 1993 speech FAKE"

As for the other "quotes" in your tag they are so obviously taken out of context I'm not even going to bother with them.

You find them all over? Well, that's because NeoCons post them all over. Doesn't make them true. Just ask Goebbels.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure how Clinton quotes ended up in the Obama thread, but thought I'd throw in a Bush one in, just to be fair and balanced.

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/mu...harmamerica.mp3

And speaking of Obama, I like this quote of his. Timely now that we have announced torture as an official policy.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 20 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]378294[/snapback]</div>
    Because Obama is a Democrat like Clinton. Obama has the audacity to think he can run for president.

And of course, everything is Clinton's fault.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 20 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]378286[/snapback]</div>
    BO? As in "Body Odor" please unlike others on this board I do not stoop to that level. :rolleyes:

BTW, I did not ignore Megan’s post I replied to it twice.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=372005

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=372392

You and Megan have capitalized the word FAKE and offered one site that does not have the quote in its archives and that’s your proof? Nevertheless I will change my sig line as the evidence that indicates that it is TRUE does come mostly, but not all, from Right wing sites.

Now for the first quote supposedly out of context. It seems to me that it is fully in context. Consider these two quotes in the first he is advocating that people should shout down someone’s message that they don’t agree with. It is plain in the quote you and Megan supplied that the very thing he is advocating is being used against him and he doesn’t like it. Unless you have a different explanation I’ll stick to my guns on this one.

"When you hear somebody doing it [criticizing the federal government], you ought to stand up and double up your fist and stick it in the sky and shout them down."
    --Bill Clinton - Billings, Montana, 1 June '95

"The plan cuts the deficit by $500 billion, cuts a quarter of a trillion dollars in Government spending, asks the wealthy who can best afford to pay their fair share, invests in education and jobs, and rewards work instead of welfare.
    [At this point, audience members interrupted the President's remarks. ]
    Let me tell you something—wait a minute. You know one thing that's wrong with this country? Everybody gets a chance to have their fair say. My budget did more to fight AIDS than any in history, and we have to put up with this. Tell them to let me talk. If you want to give a speech, go out there and raise your own crowd. We'll be glad to listen to you.
    So there were those—I'll make you a deal. I'll ignore them if you will.

Wildkow

p.s. Did it bolster my case to say TRUE all in caps? No? That’s odd wonder why it worked for you and Megan?

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

There was a lengthy article in the Chicago tribune a few months ago outlining Obama's sweet little property deal with a guy named Resko that at least stinks of corruption if not having crossed the ethical lines. Resko is going to trial for his other dealings with our Govenor, maybe Obama running for president will end up putting him on the hook for this thing.

I have concerns about Obama's following clinton on the 'truth'. I'm sure someone here has a link to this, I was listening to debate on radio from credible people saying that Obama's book says his dad was muslim, but not practicing. Oh, good, end of story. Apparently not. Apparently his Dad exited the picture and soon there was a new stepdad who was devout muslim and from then, Obama attended hard line Muslim "kill the infidel" school. I'm not sure where he picked up the Christian label between then and now, but it wasn't from his stand on abortion.

I'm not sure being a coke addict will do him much harm in the election cycle... unless there are some people who don't like him anymore who have more recently done drugs with him.

I'm truely torn on this one... Barak or Hillary? I'd be willing to settle for neither. :lol:

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jan 21 2007, 04:39 AM) [snapback]378628[/snapback]</div>
    Come on Daron. That was debunked almost immediately after it was published. Are you taking lessons from Berman now???

14. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jan 21 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]378628[/snapback]</div>
    Daron,

This is just an urban legend. He attended Catholic and Muslim schools in Indonesia. Details regarding this urban legend can be found on Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The swiftboating starts early this campaign.

And I'm still reading that the only thing Obama has against him is 1. He's Black, 2. He Democrat, 3. He had a funny name.

Can't wait until that mentally unstable nutjob McCain declares.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 21 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]378734[/snapback]</div>
    The "swiftboating" is being done by the dems - can't wait till hillary starts to realize she cant win no matter what and goes into full attack mode. will she ever regret letting bill get away scott [monika] free?

If labor goes to edwards - loooook out. she will fire more bombs and cruise missiles than bill did in 8 years :lol:

You have richardson getting the hispanic vote, obamo hussein barak getting the black vote, edwards getting the white male vote and hillary getting the bra-burning female vote --- the party of "inclusion" seems to ripping itself apart at the seems based on phenotypic expression - is not that ironic?

If you think McCain is unstable, what do you think of Rudy?

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 21 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]378734[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget the fourth thing he has going against him ...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 18 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]377517[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 19 2007, 04:35 AM) [snapback]377637[/snapback]</div>
    So he's a black Democrat with a funny name who smokes. At least we know they're going after him with substance. :rolleyes:

18. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 19 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]378090[/snapback]</div>
    And in my experience, most Christians don't want to force their beliefs on anyone. But also in my experience, most of the beliefs that are forced, and the people forcing, are Christians. Obviously, the current batch of terrorists are worse about it, but I (fortunately) haven't experienced them trying to force anything on me yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 19 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]378113[/snapback]</div>
    While I won't bet my Prius on it, you're probably right. The Presidential election is little more than a popularity contest, and Obama may not be likable enough. But then again, it may be that he comes off as the most likable Democrat in the primaries, and goes on to win. Either way though, he's got to get through the primaries first.

And while we're bringing up Hillary, what's the deal with the "Anyone but Hillary" bit I've been seeing? There are quite a few bumper stickers that have been showing up around here with that. Would they rather have someone like bin Laden, Hitler, Stalin, etc. in charge of our country? Be careful what you wish for.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jan 22 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]378973[/snapback]</div>
    I think aethiests are forcing their lack of beliefs on a lot of people here more than the other way around.

Its and easy call about the ABH (anybody but hilary) thing if you examine her past and the potential issues of having bill back in the oval office. Her negative ratings are way toooo high - and deservedly so. Some think of her as a female chavez - she knows whats best for all. her book it takes a village is enough for me to realize that we should not let the village idiot back in the white house.

20. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, i love the content of all of this...

"He won't get it because of race" - the civil war was over 100 years ago. GET OVER IT.

"A woman will win before a black man" - Check your facts, Berman... Blacks have been able to vote since 1870 (the 15th amendment), while women have only been able to vote since 1919 (the 19th amendment) - seems the black men have been getting things earlier than white women in politics...

"He's a Muslim!" - clearly shown not to be the case... And given the current situation in the middle east, don't you think it might be a good idea to have someone familiar with the local religions than someone who (reportedly) was surprised that there were different sects in Iraq (Bush)?

"He doesn't have enough experience!" - There have been many presidents with little to no experience... which is better, someone who has shown he can be successful and has done a good job in his few years of politics, or someone who runs his daddy's oil businesses into the ground?

In the end, it sounds like fear to me... These repubs on the board are afraid that this guy, who has no real dirt, no skeletons in his closet, and is charismatic to boot, will be facing off against the best they can muster and shoot them down. We've seen plenty of posts stating that Obama won't stand a chance against any of the repub candidates, and yet no one has specified why. no one has specified what makes those candidates so great. It's like a car salesman who says "oh, look at this shiny new H2! it's way better than that dinky little hybrid - just look at the shine! isn't yellow way better than silver?"