1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama's running

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]378983[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

What an EXCELLENT POINT!

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 22 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]378988[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

We have, you simply refuse to accept them as realistic.

I'll be the first one to state how shallow some of those reasons are, but it's reality, and that's pretty much all there is to it. He could be qualified up the wazoo, but we're still to racist to elect him to the throne. I agree fully with Berman, we'll see a woman first before someone like Obama...

...and since when have the majority of voters started thinking otherwise? :lol:

Those who argue we were stupid enough to elect Bush for two terms, what makes you think everyone has all of a sudden "wisened" up to elect what they consider qualified candidates?

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 22 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]378998[/snapback]</div>
    It's rather amazing what a quote out of context can do, isn't it? The clear intention of the statement, when placed in context, was to state that the repubs on the board are blasting Obama for superficial issues, and yet not explaining what makes their candidates so great.

And in all honesty, saying "he's white and not a female" doesn't cut it.

You seem to think the country is severely racially and sexually motivated when voting. While that might be true in some states, many states just don't give a damn any more. In fact, many people simply vote the party line...

Lets think about this... Barak + Richardson = Black vote + Hispanic vote + Democratic vote

Generally in elections we see that each party gets roughly 40%-45% of the vote just based on party lines, and they fight for that middle 10%-20% of the vote - who will get more from that, a Pro-war friend of Bush, or someone who was against the war and can carry the racial minority (in this case Black + Hispanic is about 30% of the population)

This election is going to be about the war, plain and simple. The person who gets elected will be the person who can convince the public that they have the best policy for getting us out of Iraq and bringing the troops home alive. Race, creed, religion, and sex will initially be well publicized, i'm sure... but if Obama can ignore that and stick to a message of bringing the troops home and reforming our energy policy (which many people associate with the war), he'll roll right over the opposition.

Oh, and the only reason Bush was elected twice: The first time, everyone thought he would be like his father and were fed up with dems after Clinton. The second time, Kerry pretty much just blew it. he didn't have the charisma to stand face to face with Bush, and he said some pretty damn stupid things.

4. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]378983[/snapback]</div>
    While there are some Atheists who do (in my opinion) try to force their beliefs on others (Michael Newdow comes to mind), I see them far less frequently. Maybe it's because I'm an Atheist myself. Maybe it's because the majority of the country is Christian. Maybe it's a combination of factors. But either way, I know what I see.

As for Hillary, a quick glance at her voting record and campaign finances doesn't show anything to immediately keep me from voting for her. It's still far too early to go into any detail, I'll do that later. The same goes for Obama.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 19 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]377792[/snapback]</div>
    HAHAHA. I love this. Do you think Rudy, McCain, or Mit Romney can actually win the republican nomination? McCain might be able to because over the last 8 years he's sold his soul to the devil and given up on his atypical 21st century republican beliefs (remember he couldn't win the nomination in 00 because he was "too liberal". Rudy Giuliani (someone I have enormous respect for) is divorced and lived with a mistress while married to his ex wife, Mit Romney could even be called a liberal for some of his record and accomplishments. There is no way in hell the staunch Jesus-freak republicans are going to elect any of them. THATS symptomatic of the poor choices the REPUBLICANS have made that lost them the senate, the house, the majority of the nations governorships, and that will loose them the presidency in 08. They will elect some weak, Bob Dole lookalike party mainliner that will get WHOOPED by the dems. Just liked they got whooped in 06.

I switched my party affiliation from republican to democrat in 05 because of my disdain for the current leadership of the party. If Rudy or Mit Romney get elected, I will happily change it back. Those guys are real republicans.

And guys, don't waste your time arguing with dbermanmd. He's proven himself to be a hateful bigot in this thread. Anyways, someone who would make their screen name on a car board "D Berman M.D." is so full of thesmselves they're not worth talking to anyways.

And Doc, the whole "why don't you tell me that to my face" routine is beneath you, if you really are a doctor.

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 21 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]378952[/snapback]</div>
    It's your party that painted McCain an unstable nutjob in order to elect Bush. If McCain wasn't fit then he's still not fit and for the same reasons.

Or are the Republicans going to FLIP FLOP?

Personally, I will never vote for McCain for the way he took the back stabbing and then rolled over, licked the hand that stabbed him and abandoned everything he stood for. Good party man. Very loyal. Team player.

STUPID.

I would have voted for him in 2000.

I'll never vote for him now.

Oh, and I think Giuliani is a crook that treats women like sh¡t.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 22 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]379201[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry about the facts.

Enough NeoCon websites will keep reporting the lies and use each other as citations to prove its the truth.

"What would Goebbels Do?"

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 22 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]379201[/snapback]</div>
    Typical for the left to blame the right for their own lies. LOL!

I find this paragraph most interesting. . .

Insight Magazine, which is owned by the same company as The Washington Times, reported on its Web site last week that associates of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, had unearthed information the Illinois Democrat and likely presidential candidate attended a Muslim religious school known for teaching the most fundamentalist form of Islam.

Whose smearing whom first? Godiva you paying attention? Wake up girl, reality complete with all the facts just zooooomed right past the top of yo little ol' hed! [attachmentid=6292]

Wildkow

p.s. I told you she was a highly experienced pol, didn't I?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 22 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]379210[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva, go read Megans link again! So like you to blame the right for something the left is doing to itself. :lol:

Wildkow

p.s. Don't worry about the facts? You do know what those are don't you? Cause after reading this kind of CR@P you certainly seem to have all the lies down pat. [attachmentid=6292]

Attached Files:

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you read beyond the second paragraph? Selective reading seems to be a weakness, or at least, taking bits and pieces out of context to support and already formed opinion.

But reporting by CNN in Jakarta, Indonesia and Washington, D.C., shows the allegations that Obama attended a madrassa to be false. CNN dispatched Senior International Correspondent John Vause to Jakarta to investigate.

He visited the Basuki school, which Obama attended from 1969 to 1971.

"This is a public school. We don't focus on religion," Hardi Priyono, deputy headmaster of the Basuki school, told Vause. "In our daily lives, we try to respect religion, but we don't give preferential treatment."

Vause reported he saw boys and girls dressed in neat school uniforms playing outside the school, while teachers were dressed in Western-style clothes.

"I came here to Barack Obama's elementary school in Jakarta looking for what some are calling an Islamic madrassa ... like the ones that teach hate and violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan," Vause said on the "Situation Room" Monday. "I've been to those madrassas in Pakistan ... this school is nothing like that."

How much you want to bet NeoCons will continue to report Barack HUSSEIN Obama attended a Madrassa?

Fox News and was also referenced by the New York Post, The Glenn Beck program on CNN Headline News and a number of political blogs.

And the NeoCons will post it on all of their websites and cite each other to prove it's true.

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." —George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005
    -President Bush

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over†Joseph Goebbels
    http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/joseph_goebbels/

I noticed your Fox er... Faux tagline quotes are gone. What happened? Don't you stand by your selective quotes?

"MegansPrius:
    Posting real quotes or quotes in context would be better. For example

REAL QUOTES

1."You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say." -- President Bill Clinton
    Full quote: "The plan cuts the deficit by $500 billion, cuts a quarter of a trillion dollars in Government spending, asks the wealthy who can best afford to pay their fair share, invests in education and jobs, and rewards work instead of welfare.
    [At this point, audience members interrupted the President's remarks. ]
    Let me tell you something—wait a minute. You know one thing that's wrong with this country? Everybody gets a chance to have their fair say. My budget did more to fight AIDS than any in history, and we're having to put up with this. Tell them to let me talk. If you want to give a speech, go out there and raise your own crowd. We'll be glad to listen to you.
    So there were those—I'll make you a deal. I'll ignore them if you will.

President William Clinton addressing the people of Philadelphia, May 28, 1993 in the Courtyard, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA.

2. "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." -- President Bill Clinton
    Full quote: "I think -- you know, we can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles -- it's something I strongly support -- we can't be so fixated on that that we are unable to think about the reality of life that millions of Americans face on streets that are unsafe, under conditions that no other nation -- no other nations -- has permitted to exist."-- Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session at the Adult Learning Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 1st, 1993

FAKE QUOTES
    You can read the transcripts of his MTV interviews on http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ search his speeches (by keyword, by phrase) and guess what? You won't find him saying either of these.

3. The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people" -- President Bill Clinton
    Not a real quote. Attributed to Clinton on MTV in 1993 or 1994. FAKE

4. "If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees." -- President Bill Clinton
    attributed to an august 12, 1993 speech FAKE"

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 22 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]379275[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Did you read beyond the second paragraph? Selective reading seems to be a weakness, or at least, taking bits and pieces out of context to support and already formed opinion.

But reporting by CNN in Jakarta, Indonesia and Washington, D.C., shows the allegations that Obama attended a madrassa to be false. CNN dispatched Senior International Correspondent John Vause to Jakarta to investigate.

He visited the Basuki school, which Obama attended from 1969 to 1971.

"This is a public school. We don't focus on religion," Hardi Priyono, deputy headmaster of the Basuki school, told Vause. "In our daily lives, we try to respect religion, but we don't give preferential treatment."

Vause reported he saw boys and girls dressed in neat school uniforms playing outside the school, while teachers were dressed in Western-style clothes.

"I came here to Barack Obama's elementary school in Jakarta looking for what some are calling an Islamic madrassa ... like the ones that teach hate and violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan," Vause said on the "Situation Room" Monday. "I've been to those madrassas in Pakistan ... this school is nothing like that."

How much you want to bet NeoCons will continue to report Barack HUSSEIN Obama attended a Madrassa?

TRUE![/b] How can I argue with that kind of logic? ;)

Wildkow

p.s. Check - - - Dreams Of My Father (p.142), by B.H. Obama where Obama himself writes about attending a muslim school. BTW the fact that he did or did not attend this so called muslim school isn't my point. My point is that it was a different end of the political spectrum that released the info.

and this link concerning my tag line . . . http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=378624

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 23 2007, 05:12 AM) [snapback]379423[/snapback]</div>
    How do you really know who started the rumor, beyond Insight Magazine (which is owned by the same people as The Washington Times, which is a well known ight-wing newspaper) - all they say is "an unnamed source" who claims it was discovered by "researchers connected to Senator Clinton". Given that the magazine couldn't do decent research themselves prior to printing the article, i'm not willing to believe that their "unnamed source" actually got the information from anyone "connected" to Hillary.

I could sit here and print an article that says "an unnamed source (that guy who lives next to me) found out from researchers affiliated with McCain (he has a friend who lives in DC, does research for some company, and happens to live down the street from McCain - heck, he's even been at a BBQ with the guy!) that Guliani..." See how facts can be twisted when so little evidence is given? We don't know who the "unnamed source" was, or what their affiliation was. in fact, we can't even be sure that they don't work for McCain or Guliani. All we have is a journalist who is printing conjecture for a right-wing magazine - of course they're going to claim the information came from the left!

And for the record, even if it was a Muslim school (which Obama does say in his books, as you pointed out), that doesn't mean it was an extremist school like the article claimed... Thats like saying a catholic school here in the states is bad - i know some that exist only to raise you to join the church, they refuse to teach evolution etc, and yet there are some that have very progressive science programs and whose only affiliation is prayer time. A Muslim school isn't necessarily a bad thing - one that teaches a general education, as CNN claims that one does, and doesn't stress one religion over another can be a very enlightening environment. I see it was a chance Obama had to understand a very misunderstood religion. An understanding that would certainly help him deal with the middle east, should he be elected.

12. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]379467[/snapback]</div>
    And furthermore, Obama attended his school in 1969-71, and the militant Islam and madrassas we think of as scary (i.e., in Pakistan and Iran) really only came into broad influence after 1980, through the Iranian revolution and recruitment of fighters against the soviets in Afghanistan. And the CNN reporter, as he states, is familiar with militant islam:
    By the way, madrassa is simply the arabic word for school.

And the one Obama went is just down the street from the home of the US ambassador. So I'm guessing its not a hotbed of international terrorism. http://www.suntimes.com/news/sweet/224517,...sweet23.article

13. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]379467[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of Catholic schools, there's this little tidbit in the article that's being conveniently ignored:
    So, let's see if I have this right. He spent two years in a Muslim school, two years in a Catholic school and is a member of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Obviously those two years of Muslim schooling when he was a young child are far more important than anything else. :rolleyes:

The continued attempts to paint him as Muslim --be it through the use of his middle name or mentioning a Muslim school he went too-- smacks of desperation. If the neo-cons really believed that he's unelectable and doesn't stand a chance against anyone they run in '08, they wouldn't be trying to tear him down so much. They wouldn't even mention him. You never hear about Christopher Dodd, John Edwards, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, Tom Vilsack or Joe Biden. It's only Hillary or Barack. Why? They're not perceived as real threats.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Politics in America has always been a filthy business: Lies, deceit, smears, mud-slinging. And they do it because it works: the public puts credence in whatever it hears. And the American public is so poorly-educated, and so ignorant of the most basic thinking skills, that it is incapable of judging the claims. People who are unwilling to learn the facts surrounding the issues believe it is their duty to vote even when (as is often the case) they vote at random, and people who do understand the issues are as likely as not to be so completely opposed to both of the major parties that they prefer not to vote than to give their approval to either pack of criminals. Meanwhile, both parties are beholden to the same interests, so that the people and institutions that truly run the show are unaffected by the outcomes of the elections.

I do vote, and if Obama gets on the ballot I will vote for him. But I don't get my knickers in a knot over a system I cannot influence, and which makes so little difference to the path the country takes.

15. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    let's not forget the electoral college....... popular vote doesn't always win!

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 23 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]379813[/snapback]</div>
    That is the way the system was designed. Rule by the majority scared the living daylights out of the founding fathers.

Wildkow

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ohhh lets examine things by electoral college...

First, a few assumptions:
    Obama + Richardson = Black + Hispanic + Democratic vote.

To make things simple, we'll assume they capture 100% of the black and hispanic vote (i know, almost certainly not, but we'll offset this). Lets also assume that the issue of race so polarizes people in this country that they only get 1/2 of the votes from others that democrats usually get. As seen in the previous two elections, both parties get roughly 1/2 the vote (depending on who's counting :p) - so we'll only give them 1/4 of the vote from the remaining people. This should more than make up for any difference in blacks and hispanics voting for their opponent.

(data from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/)

California: 56.4% of the vote
    - Hispanic: 35.2%
    - Black: 6.7%
    - Other Democratic: 1/4 of the remaining 58.1% = 14.5%
    Texas:60.1% of votes
    - Hispanic: 35.1%
    - Black: 11.7%
    - Other Democratic: 1/4 of the remaining 53.2% = 13.3%
    New York: 49.3% of votes
    - Hispanic: 16.1%
    - Black: 17.4%
    - Other Democratic: 1/4 of the remaining 63.2% = 15.8%
    Florida: 51.4%
    - Hispanic: 19.5%
    - Black: 15.7%
    - Other Democratic: 1/4 of the remaining 64.8% = 16.2%

Seems to me like the numbers speak for them selves here...

Please keep in mind that these are very, very rough numbers, and it's entirely possible (even likely) that this election will be polarized around other issues (like the war in Iraq) and not about race. However, the numbers do tell us that by virtue of race alone the Democrats could win some of the biggest states, totally contradicting the claims from those staunch republicans on here that the country will never elect a black man.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 24 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]380057[/snapback]</div>
    You certainly would not accuse me of being a Republican. And if Obama runs I will vote for him. But I think you are giving Democrats too much credit when you assume that half of traditional Democratic voters would vote for a Black Democrat. Many Democrats are profoundly racist. Some of them might accept a very light-skinned Black VP candidate, but a Black presidential candidate with a Hispanic VP candidate would (in my opinion) lose a lot more than half the traditional Democratic vote.

You also ignore the traditional tensions between Blacks and Hispanics. Many Hispanics would not vote for a Black president merely because the VP candidate was Hispanic. When I was in prison I was surprised to find that both Black and Hispanic inmates liked me (though I could well have been seen as representing the White oppressor) but did not get along nearly as well with each other. And a week before I arrived at El Reno, some Hispanic inmates had intervened to prevent the rape of a white inmate by Black inmates. There was a lot of chatter still going on about it when i arrived. Why would Hispanics have cared about a White? Partly the Hispanic/Catholic homophobia (since the issue was a forced sex act between men) but I think it was also deep-seeded animosity between the two racial groups. And contrary to the views of some, I contend that prison populations are very representative of poor populations in general, since poverty is a far greater indication of liklihood of imprisonment than is real criminal activity.

In short, I think your assumptions are far too optimistic.

I also cannot imagine the Democrats nominating a slate of two people of color. For that matter, I do not believe they will put a person of color on the lead spot. And traditionally they mix their own spectrum: a conservative Democrat runs with a liberal Democrat. I also think that the Democrats (profoundly racist and sexist) would not run a woman with a person of color. I could see Obama getting the VP slot beside a conservative Democrat. I could see Clinton getting offered the VP slot likewise, beside a conservative Democrat, though it would surprise me greatly if she would accept the second position. Obama is young enough that he might accept such an offer.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those reasons and others I've already stated I think Obama is going to be the VP on the ticket. President won't be Hillary. Yes, she can raise big bucks but I truly believe that more people will vote for a black man than a white woman.

If Edwards ends up being on the ticket I see Obama as his VP. And after they win and serve their terms, Obama then running for President. And winning.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Elect Jessie Jackson + Obama!
    Then we will watch the fall of the white man, even though we are all equial? (the same)

Ever notice its ok to have JET magazine, the BET channel, and TV shows that put down white people as being stupid, Sanford & Son, Good times, ect. ect. and several other shows. :p

Now if you play a all white show or TV channel or you have an all white magazine your a racist and the ACLU's gonna sue the pants off of you.. :huh:

Anyone else know of other black TV shows that degrade white people?
    :mellow:
    I will continue to vote for who I think is the lesser of the other running evils..... ;)