1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD 2007 & Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dmb40, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dmb40

dmb40 New Member

On my 2007 package 6, with Coastals unlocks, 3,500 miles I am getting a check engine light. I have pulled up the on board system check and found all is good (except the lack of a DVD player which is not yet installed in the coastal hacking options) and in checking the LAN option found some codes. I erased the codes and rechecked, no codes. Good news, but the check engine light is still on. I have checked the fuel cap and really do not want to go to the dealer as they said it would be a minimum of 4 hours to diagnose the problem.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Is there an online list of diagnostic code definitions? That would be real handy!!!

Dave

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Santa Barbara @ Mar 5 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]400542[/snapback]</div>
    this car is under warranty and with the CEL on it's Toyota's responsibility to check and fix the problem.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    let me add that it's probably not a good idea to clear those codes unless you know what's wrong and that the codes aren't important or you make it more difficult for the dealer to find the problem.

I also wanted to make sure you'd had at least 3 start-up cycles for the car...that's usually necessary to get rid of the CEL if there's nothing serious wrong.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the MFD service menus do not tell you OBD codes. you need a scantool to pull those.

5. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Santa Barbara @ Mar 5 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]400542[/snapback]</div>
    The diagnostic code definitions are in the 2007 Prius Repair Manual, and that is on-line at techinfo.toyota.com, but it is not free. A one-day subscription is $10. For that $10 you can download as many different files as you can in that one day, so it makes sense to try to download as much as you can that you think might be useful. The Repair Manual is in hundreds of separate PDF files -- probably to discourage people from just downloading the whole thing.

6. c4

c4 Active Member

As Galaxee stated, the "secret" MFD menus do *not* display the engine codes, they show only AVC-LAN and MFD codes (so, things like MFD errors, codes to do with the stereo system, and the navigation will show up here). Clearing the MFD codes will have no effect on the "Check Engine" light (mainly because they have nothing at all to do with the engine management system). You need to buy a OBD scanner (specifically one that will work with the CAN bus) in order to pull up (and clear) the engine codes..

7. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a question about the "engine service required" light. Mine came on this morning. I have 4,600 miles on the car is that just the normal service it is talking about?

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Mar 6 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]400930[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it will come on every 5K to remind you to change the oil. The dealer can reset it, or you can reset it yourself if you change the oil. Instructions are on here several places.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your OBD2 tool have the "enhanced" or "manufacturer-specific"
    ability? Without that you're probably going to be unable to talk
    to all the ECUs and pull anything other than the P0xxx type, and
    if your problem is off in P1xxx land or higher, the generic tools
    are SOL.
    _H*

10. dmb40

dmb40 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 6 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]401065[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for all the information. I ordered a cheap? $100 scannner and will try to pull some info off the system and reset the light. If there is something wrong it will show up again I am sure. I will let y'all know the scoop when I have it....if I can get codes... A "Toyota Specific" scanner is big bucks and the dealership has eroded any confidence I might have in reasonable servicing by the way they have treated me on the phone thus far. I will probably choose to drive an hour and try another dealer before I try the local one if the $100 scanner fails to do the job.

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Many auto parts shops ..(Autozone, Checker..etc) will read the engine codes for free. Of course, all they will give you are a bunch of number. It's up to the mechanic to make sense of them.

12. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Mar 8 2007, 01:19 AM) [snapback]402110[/snapback]</div>
    New to the Forum, but I have been a Toyota Tech for the past 12 years. Go to the dealer for any CEL. Any dealer who says "miinimum 4 hours check out time" is NUTS! The new Toyota Techstream scan tool can retrieve ALL codes within 5 minutes. Even the older Vetronics scantool can do it in less than 10 minutes. Diagnosis may take longer, but most cases not much.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Techstream? Is that the new replacement for the Mastertech?
    Who makes it?
    _H*

cthorsman likes this.
  14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, it's the laptop deal, hobbit. it's pretty kickass according to DH. i have yet to see it myself.

15. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 9 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]403188[/snapback]</div>
    Techstream is the new Toyota scantool, (Dealer only at this time) It is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop, encased in a rubber coated cage which houses the Vehicle Interface Module and includes the DLC cable. It is capable of performing ALL diagnostic functions for Toyotas and gives the tech a direct wireless internet link to the Toyota Information System (TIS2). We can pull a code from the car and look it up from the database whiles sitting in the driver seat. If a computer reflash update is needed, we can download the program and reflash the ECU without even getting out of the car. A lot of dealers are still waiting to get them delivered and installed, but we got ours and it is AMAZING! Cuts my diag time dramatically.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, so we've got another Toyota tech in our midst? cool!
    _H*

17. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 10 2007, 04:44 PM) [snapback]403484[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I have been working on them for 12 years now and love 'em. I have been working on Prius since they first came out and I seem to get the majority of the Hybrid concerns that come to the dealer I work at. Although i don't own a Hybrid, (my 97 Tacoma has a lot of life left yet and I would want a Hybrid pickup anyways) I do love the technology. Feel free to hit me in the email with any questions and I will try to find the "official" Toyota answers if I can.

Rick
    [email protected]

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    welcome, Rick!

my husband is also a toyota tech, but not for 12 years yet. he also gets all the prius/hihy/hycam stuff that comes through. replaced engine room wiring harnesses on all 3 of em in one week, even. that was a rough week. we signed up on the waiting list for a prius when we decided it was time for a new car and he told me how cool he thought they were.

careful now, if you tell these folks you're an expert you're on the hook :p it's a full time job sometimes :lol: