1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD Battery Monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Christian_cool, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone
    I have a 2010 Prius with running 136.600 km until now.
    Today i used my time to play with my new OBD modification with my Samsung Nexus Phone i dont use anymore. Instead i use it to connect with my Bluetooth OBD, and beside reading Coolant temp. and other various sensor data. I can now view the Hybrid battery status more accurate now.

Under my readings i found interesting that the Prius does this for optimizing the battery life:
    Under driving it keeps the battery between 39 % - 62 %, so 39 % on the (cars) display is low battery. (2 bars)
    Driving on highway with constant speed the cars computer keeps the battery charge to maximum 60%-62%. (6 bars). It shows 6 bars from 56%.
    When running on Elec. (without EV) the engine first keeps in when it reach 39%.
    Ev Mode is available from at-least 50% battery power and deactivate at 45,5%.

Hope this information is interesting :)
    and sorry my bad English

First Picture (Battery readings)
    Second Picture (my OBD connector)

1.jpg
    2.jpg

#1 Christian_cool, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess we have different driving style. My battery never goes below 55% and stays at 62%-72% and spends 80% of the at between 64%-68%. The city speed limit here is between 35 and 55mph with traffic lights between 1/4 to 1/2 miles. I'm able to speed up to the speed limit and regen brake back to stop.

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Christian_Cool, do you have any interference or voice service degradation with two bluetooth devices running at the same time?

4. Christian_cool

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far i don't have any problems with the interferens even if i play music over the bluetooth while running the OBD :)

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That looks like the ELM327.

6. Christian_cool

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes the model i use is:
    "V1.5 Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Diagnostic Scanner Tool"
    i Bought it from amazon :)

7. Kurtp2

Kurtp2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently bought the same model ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, but from eBay. Really inexpensive but am worried about installing s/w on my active Android Samsung phone that wants more permissions that I am willing to give it full network access, modify/delete USB storage, find accounts on device, run at startup, draw over other apps etc for the Dash Command and Torque Pro Check s/w. The seller, ecartoolsupplier, requires the s/w to be 'sideloaded', bypassing Google Play store (protection). Is this why you installed it on a Samsung you don't use?

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a great idea. I have several Android phones and tablets I don't use. I can mount it above the steering wheel on the magnets I've fastened there:
    Unused Dash Space | PriusChat

9. Mushtaq Ahmed Lakhani

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Its too late to ask a question on this form but still am asking. Does the OBDII ELM327 gives Hybrid battery life status and performance. Not the running battery performance which already is on Dash panel.

Will appreciate input here

regards.