1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD Compatible apps

Discussion in 'OBDII iPhone App' started by Pandalover, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the one that I have. It works well! Sometimes its better to pay a little more for ease of ordering and fast shipping!

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I just ordered this one that looks to be the same for $$30 at Amazon
    Amazon.com: Wifi Obd2 Elm327 Car Code Reader for Iphone Ipod Touch Ipad: Automotive

3. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the one! Let me know how it works for you. Mine works great.

4. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Are you using EngineLink?

If so, which PID file are you using?

I can get mph to work, and get fuel mileage but cannot get a Fuel Level reading at all.

Thanks!

5. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a full write up of my experiences and my custom pid file here.

iPhone and iPad OBD-II Apps | Maintain-Your-Car

I don't think the Prius' support the fuel level PID. The only app I have found that works with the fuel level requires you to enter the values (gallons filled, etc.).

6. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well, considering the ScanGauge II can read the fuel levels, I'm sure there is a way to read it on EngineLink as well. I'd use your Pid file but have a 2013, so I don't think it would work.

7. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya that pid file won't work for a gen3.

I usually use battery current (in/out), avg and instantaneous fuel economy, I set engine rpm to on/off for an "engine on/off" light, and occasionally I throw in a engine coolant temp, and/or brake pad ft/lbs.

I will look into the fuel level. The only vehicle I have been able to get it to work on is a 2005 Corvette. I've tried on Ford's, Chevy's, Totota's, Audi's, and Pontiac's.

8. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Price aside, which is a better app? Engline Link or Dash Command? I'm planning to use this adapter unless of course it won't work in which case I'll have a $10 paperweight.

[​IMG]

9. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That is a Bluetooth adapter and the only way you will get it to work with an iPhone would be to jailbreak and use the roqybt obd extensions in Cydia.

I think that EngineLink and DashCommand are both great apps. $50 for DashCommand is pretty steep but it is a lot more robust and includes a few extra features that make it nice. If you have the money it's worth it but doesn't work very well (at all really) with the custom Prius PID's.

$6 for EngineLink is a much easier price to swallow. I have both and I've noticed I tend to use EngineLink for my Prius, and DashCommand for my Explorer. That may have something to do with DashCommand's compatibility with my Pioneer AppRadio. It displays perfectly on my 7" in dash touchscreen. I don't really like using EngineLink when connected to the Explorer and don't like DashCommand when hooked up to the Prius. I made my own DashCommand dashboard that looks and works great in my truck.

Sorry to not have a clear answer. I love them both. I'd start with EngineLink and if you don't like it give DashCommand a try. It could save you a little money to do things that way.

Check out my website for a full write up of EngineLink if you haven't already. I plan on doing one on DashCommand soon as well.

10. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used the U-Scan Bluetooth adapter with my iPad. It worked fine. The app was far more limited than I wanted. My iPad is Jailbroken so that isn't a problem.

11. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the wifi ones are a lot less headache but once I got the Bluetooth one set up it wasn't that bad.

If you aren't concerned about the Prius PID's or price go DashCommand. If you want to use it with a Prius, go EngineLink.

12. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the bad thing, I don't know what the PID is, I can assume I won't be using those right now. I used to have a Scan Gauge connected to my 2000 Honda Insight. Watching it, I was able to increase my mpg to close to 60.

13. Christian Abella

Christian Abella New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there!

I recently purchased an ELM 327 OBDII WIFI device and the EngineLink app via iTunes Store. Just to clarify what tech I am using, I have an iPhone 4s and 2012 Toyota Prius. I turn my car to the "on" position, just before the engine starts and I plugged in the device and configured the IP address and subnet mask on my iPhone with the IP address and port number within the EngineLink app. However, once I push "connect" this error message pops up and I am not able to do what I wanted to do... "Failed to connect to OBD II adapter (Error code: cannot connect to host)"----see image photo.PNG
    Just to give you an idea of what I am trying to accomplish: Disabling the ever-annoying reverse beep, and replacing it with one beep.

I would really appreciate some feedback or advice!

Thank you,

Christian A.

14. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, how about this adapter?

[​IMG]

15. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That should work fine. Also if you look on my website I have a few you can buy through amazon for fairly cheap.

Take a look at my website. There are directions start to finish on how to set it up.

16. Christian Abella

Christian Abella New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I'm on your website but I don't see any instructions. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

17. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I had similar errors to start with. First time you try to connect I would suggest putting your phone into flight mode, then enabling wifi as it makes it more obvious that you have connected. (You won't normally need to do this)

Don't use the IP address in the app, that is the address of your odbii. Try a different ip in the same range like 192.168.0.11.

18. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Engine link works nicely, but the fuel gauge won't work. I've yet to get valid readings from the fuel gauge. Dash Command I have not used simply because of the price.

Overall my ScanGauge 2 has been more useful, because the Fuel gauge works, and the PID's work very well,

20. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys!!!! DashCommand is on sale for $10! It hasn't been on sale in over a year and last time it was only on sale for 24 hours so jump on it now!

It is TOTALLY worth the $10. I have been planning on writing a review on it for some time now. This is probably the catalyst for me to get it done.

Also I completely forgot that I ordered this but it showed up. I will be writing a review on it shortly as well.