1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD-II port is it the same for 2012-2015 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kip Thomas, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Kip Thomas

Kip Thomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am trying to add a sprint drive to a 2012 Prius, but the sprint compatible chart say no. If I select a 2015 Prius it say yes. Is there a difference in the OBDII on the two different year Prius's.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nope;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The physical OBDII port should be the same but that doesn't mean it can access the same things. OBDII was originally installed for polution reasons and then the manufacturers have been adding other things to it as it evolves. Most new cars have black box technology in them and older cars didn't for example GPS is not in all cars, I bet your 2012 doesn't have it built into the car.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Sprint Drive Compatibility Tool, linked from the main Sprint Drive page, says, “Sprint Drive is not compatible with hybrids, electric cars, or cars older than 1996” (emphasis added). Selecting “TOYOTA” and then “PRIUS” gives the results described by @Kip Thomas, but when I selected “PRIUS HYBRID,” all of the years I tried were reported as incompatible. For reasons of both security and vehicle reliability, I recommend against driving around with anything connected to the DLC3 (OBD II) port, anyway.

As far as I know, all model years of Prius cars built for sale in the U.S. implement at least the legally-mandated OBD II features defined by standards such as SAE J1979. The CAN bus diagrams in the New Car Features books (more info) for 2010 and 2015, the first and last years of the third-generation Prius, show only one major change, the addition of the Parking Assist ECU in vehicles with that feature, but there may be other differences not disclosed in any published document.

5. Kip Thomas

Kip Thomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the help. Kip