1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD II Scanner Broke my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BillMelder, Aug 19, 2022.

1. BillMelder

BillMelder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone!

I need some urgent help! My second generation prius (277k miles) has been driving just fine. But i wanted to check the hyburd battery levels before the fall season so i hooked up my ZURICH ZR11S Scanner which ive used on all my other Priuses and Hondas but when u hooked it up the car died and the Red Triangle light, the abs, vsc, ps icon and the car icon with the ! over it popped up. when i started the car back up if felt like it struggled. Then i put it in gear and its got no power, the brakes are stiff and the stearing was tight. Any ideas what could have happened? also - the scanner will turn on but it wont read any of the codes so i have no idea what codes might be thrown.

thank you in advance for any help!
    Bill

#1 BillMelder, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check and charge your 12V battery first, with the battery disconnected. This will also reset all/some codes, and you will probably have to push the power button twice, after waiting 30 sec between pushes, and maybe hold it down the second time. Its possible but highly unlikely the scanner caused any problem.

3. BillMelder

BillMelder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found out something new... my niece admitted to yanking the cord out when i asked her to get it fir me about a month ago. so i believe she may have damaged the port.

bisco likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Daged the cord

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And you know how we used to deal with cord dagers, back in the day.

I once built an OBD-II accessory using a cheap connector with unplated pins. When it was new it worked just fine, but after it had been carried around in my glove box for a few years and the pins tarnished, it would throw up a dash full of warning lights the instant it was plugged in (before even using it for anything). After unplugging it again, the warnings could all be cleared using a scan tool (a different one, with untarnished pins), or would go away by themselves after a few drive cycles. Full story here.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've seen a few reports of prius misbehaving when a reader is hooked up, and behaving after it is disconnected

JohnPrius3005 likes this.