1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've looked at the Torque App and have decided to get a bluetooth adapter. I've read that I need to avoid the cheap China adapters, so how can I tell which one is good, ten dollar one or a twenty five dollar one, I'd bet they both will be made in China. Is there one to choose over another to avoid glitches? I need to decide soon as we are planning a long trip around the 1st week of April.

2. rsg

rsg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the $20 version on Amazon:

BAFX Brand - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible

Seems to work just fine!

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought a $21 one off of eBay. I had heard some people had issues with these. I also heard that they cant handle as many PIDs as the more expensive ones (Kiwi, for example). But I didnt really care. I just wanted to try it out.

I'm happy to say it works well enough. The most PIDs I've had running at the same time so far is 8 (8 display and same 8 logging). I've logged my commute to and from work a few times. From what I was told, the "cheap" ones may be only able to handle 10-15 PIDs at once. I havent hit the limit yet, but like I said, I'm OK with what I've done so far.

I think your Android device makes a pretty big difference too. I was using a G1 (running Android 2.2.1) but it was slow as hell. I'm now using a borrowed tablet that has a lot more power and seems to work better with Torque.

If its just something you want to do for fun once or twice, then I think the $20 OBD2 adapter might be OK. But if its something you're serious about and want to leave plugged in all the time, then you might want to spend a bit more.

Here's the one I bought

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

4. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hadn't seen the one on Amazon, could order a little something else and get free shipping. I saw the one on ebay and if I don't find something to go with the one from amazon, I'll get the one from ebay. Thanks, glad to hear they're working well. I'll probably get tired of using it after a while, but will be nice to watch inverter temp especially since it's getting warm here.