1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD - Reading MG2 RPM

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by irrational, Dec 12, 2014.

1. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found the list of OBD commands that are floating around here, and I've been experimenting with my Prius. I was even able to disable the backup beep using a terminal app and the raw OBD commands :)

So, next, I figured I'd try and read MG2's RPM. According to the spreadsheet I'm looking at, that's command "07E22162".

When I type "7E22162" into my terminal app, the Prius response with "7F 7E 11", regardless of how fast I'm driving. So, I must be missing something, and wanted to stop by here and see if anyone else has had success trying this.

2. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 9.01.45 PM.png

Starting to think this might have something to do with it.... the spreadsheet I'm referencing lists the same code for both MG2 RPM as it does for MG2 Temp.

3. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The ELM327 can't understand what is the command 7E that is why it responded with 7F. The spreadsheet is meant for SGII and the ELM327 needs a different way of sending the command.

If you know how to disable the reverse beep, the steps are similar, just change step 6:
    1. AT H1 (Headers on)
    2. AT L1 (Line feeds on)
    3. AT SP 6 (Set protocol to CAN 11bit/500kbps)
    4. AT DP (show you current protocol)
    5. AT CAF1 (enable auto formatting)
    6. AT SH 7E2 (directs your command to Power Management Control ECU)
    > 2162

AT SH is for setting the Header. Every time you want to communicate with a different ECU, you have to set this first before sending your command.

Vincent

irrational likes this.
  4. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

I do remember using AT SH when disabling the backup beep, and knew it was for setting the header... but, I guess I wasn't thinking when it came to this.

I'll give that a try.

Thank you very much!