1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD Self-Tests not complete.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PeterPrius, Feb 27, 2015.

1. PeterPrius

PeterPrius Hers is a 2009 Prius, non-SKS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand what this message means. I drove my 2005 Prius to the Emissions Testing station (CO) and they said the OBD wasn't "READY".

How long before my car completes its self test? And whatever does that mean?

The CEL goes on and off 4 times a year. It stays on for months, then goes off. The dealership said to ignore it as they couldn't locate the issue.

obd.jpeg
    I'm not taking my car in to the dealership, so I thought I'd check in here to see what the deal is.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It hasn’t gone through drive cycle. You need to connect it to computer to find out the problem. Depending on problem computer might need to be Toyota hybrid capable. Mini-VCI is cheap (but requires laptop) if you want to do this yourself.

3. PeterPrius

PeterPrius Hers is a 2009 Prius, non-SKS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what I'll do is put it through the drive cycle. Before I brought it in for the emissions test, and before the ECL light went away, I drove it 250 miles straight across the state. SO that might have been why it hasn't been through a drive cycle. My driving habits most certainly do not look like this:

1. Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
    2. Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
    3. Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
    4. Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
    5. Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
    6. Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Next time the check engine light comes on, have the DTC read so that you have a clue about what the problem is.

2. After the DTC is cleared, the engine ECU expects the car to log usage under varying driving conditions before it will report its status as being "ready" for an emissions control test. This is an attempt to prevent owners from doing what you did - which is ignoring the CEL. The car needs to be driven for some distance, probably 100 miles or more, in "city" as well as "highway" driving. The exact parameters of that are not clearly defined. You can try the procedure itemized in your post #3 - it might help or might not.

3. The engine ECU keeps track of the distance that has been driven and power-on hours since its memory was last reset (the reset could be deliberate, and will also happen when 12V battery power is disconnected.) This information can be retrieved using Mini VCI.