1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

obd2 not connecting for gen3 recall at dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by emen, Jan 11, 2020.

1. emen

emen New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi . first post. I have 2014 prius 3. it needs recall software update at dealer required so i can register my car. however, dealer cannot cannot the techstream to my car via the obd2 port so the software update can be done :( i use an aftermarket obd2 reader ( torque app i got from here :) ) and it reads though sometimes i must wiggle scanner to make a good connection . what can one do to make a good connection to a techstream? and i cant find the wiring diagram ( i have alldata manual) , so where can i find wiring diagram of the obd2 port ( DLC i think its officially called. thanks :)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yikes!

One hears warnings sometimes about the contacts in the DLC3 connector sometimes getting loose enough, from constant plugging/unplugging or bouncing around of a constantly-plugged-in add-on, that they might not make reliable contact with another plug. I haven't had it happen to me, but ... yikes.

Maybe take your own dongle, spray contact cleaner liberally on its plug, and insert/remove a few times, see if that improves anything.

Maybe put some conductive electrical (not dielectric) grease, like XG-12, on the pins of your dongle, insert/remove a couple times so the grease is in the contacts of the car's DLC3 connector, see if that improves anything.

Maybe buy a short extension, attach one end to the car's connector (with contact cleaner and/or XG-12), and tape those two connectors together crazy thick so they'll have no relative motion or bouncing, and let the dealer connect to the other end of the extension (and connect your own gizmo that way too). That way if the extension contacts ever get flaky, you can just replace it.

Otherwise, replacing that DLC3 connector is pretty much, I'll guess, replacing the instrument panel wire harness. Unless you really want to get into repair terminals, cutting, and splicing.

I think maybe I'll go buy one of those extensions myself, and just kind of attach it permanently, and do all my fussing around with its other end from now on....

emen likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I was one of those, had scangauge plugged in for several years, constantly, then started getting check hybrid system warning and return-to-defaults brake behaviour. Dealership mechanic noted his Techstream connection could be disrupted by wiggling the wire, suggested I not use scangauge for a while. Did that, no further issues, in 5~6 years since.

That doesn't resolve OP's issue, but maybe points to a cause: constant weight on the OBD port is stressing something.

emen likes this.