1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD2 works with ScanMaster but not TechStream

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spencer02, Oct 24, 2022.

1. spencer02

spencer02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My ELM327 OBD2 cable only works with ScanMaster inside of a windows xp virtual box. I can't get anything else working...
    I've followed just about every tutorial on the internet for getting TechStream working on windows 11 and xp, they always say 'Failed to connect to VIM'...
    Any ideas to get TechStream working? Any help would be awesome!

#1 spencer02, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On the opening screen of Techstream, there's a drop down menu for VIM select. Does your cable show up in the list of VIMs?

I have never tried using a ELM 327 based cable with Techstream, wouldn't know if it had the correct driver support.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream requires a dongle that meets the J2534 standard.

As it turns out, J2534 is a standard for a software interface, so it's not really the dongle hardware that matters, as long as it can do the needed things, and comes with a J2534 driver (DLL file) that makes it do them when Techstream asks.

But it's up to each dongle hardware manufacturer to supply such a DLL that works with their dongle.

I've heard (somewhere in the forums here) that the Mini-VCI is, on the inside, ELM 327 based, so its driver might work, or partially work (which is kind of what a lot of Mini VCIs do anyway) with some other ELM-based dongle. I haven't personally confirmed any of that.