1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBDII CAN (& Prius "aware") What SAE or ISO?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveWlf, Jun 18, 2014.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am ready to just buy a new scanner. I have a good OBDII but to old for CAN BUS. I also have Torque Android App for my tablet or phone but really, for shop work and quick checks, I just want a Prius Aware hand scanner to read and clear codes. The Torque is great if I want to monitor performance but not that handy for shop use.
    I have ask around about whats available in the auto parts stores and haven't had any luck finding anything for less than a couple hundred bucks.
    The ones I see one Ebay indicate there are CAN BUS compatable but that doesn't mean they will read the Prius hybrid specific codes. HV Battery, CVT, Brake and Steering are among those I am interested in that seem to be Prius specific.
    The models that I see on Ebay mention 5 different SAE or ISO specs and also some claim they are Up Grade-able, which I doubt would include the systems that are of interest to me.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for these handheld models that meet this requirements for under $100 or so.

Thanks, Steve

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can tell you from using Engine Link that the Prius uses ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500). (11 bit, 500 kbaud)

Hope this helps.

3. StephenFromCT

StephenFromCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello @jdcollins5,

Thank you for confirming that Gen 2 uses ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500). (11 bit, 500 kbaud).

Do you know which protocol is used by the Prius Gen 3?

Thanks!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    jdcollins5 might have been talking about Gen 3, judging by the profile. I am not sure of the set of protocols spoken by Gen 2. I do remember than Gen 1 (pre-CAN) used a quite messy collection of them, including different ECUs speaking different protocols and baud rates over the same lines; no way to talk to them at the same time without reconfiguring the interface in between.

One SAE number to keep an eye out for is J2534. That's not a protocol for talking to devices in the car; it's a protocol between a vehicle interface and diagnostic software. If you have an interface that speaks J2534, Toyota's Techstream software can use it, and that takes care of the various details of how to talk to the different ECUs.