1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. pavan_inferno

pavan_inferno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for a tool to perform ABS related functions like brake bleed and brake system zero down, for an upcoming repair job. I currently own an OBDlink SX which is a USB scan tool and I was able to get ABS system codes from my 2004 Prius. I am looking at two tools to buy which can enable performing a brake bleed : OBDlink MX+ and Autel MaxiAP AP200C. Autel's page says it can do those tasks. I have found very little information about OBDlink MX+ or any OBDlink products being succesfully used with Toyotas for ABS functions. Does anybody here have any experience with OBDlink products on Toyota priuses ?

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    @jerrymildred uses the OBDlink LX and is happy with it, I believe.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's what I have been using for years, quite happy with the results. Here's the latest use:

pavan_inferno and jerrymildred like this.
  4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My understanding is that the difference among OBDLink products is how they connect. The SX connects by USB, the LX connects by bluetooth to Android and windows and the MX+ also connects to Apple IOS devices.

Android Apps like GaragePro OBD 2 Car Scanner may be able to do the ABS brake bleeding.

here is a link to the garage pro app. Looks like you may have to pay for advanced options.

GaragePro OBD 2 Car Scanner - Apps on Google Play

I haven't used it. I use OBDLink with Dr.Prius and Hybrid Assistant. It works well with those.

pavan_inferno likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OBDLink LX is excellent. It'll talk to every computer on all Gen 4 and Prime Prii. @john1701a makes fantastically informative videos using the Hybrid Assistant app. I don't know how well the MaxiAP software would play with it.

pavan_inferno likes this.
  6. pavan_inferno

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your replies. May be my question was not clear. I am already familiar with the diagnostic capabilities of low end OBDlink tools. I wanted to find out if OBDlink MX+ (high end offering) was capable of executing tasks like bleeding brakes.

Although my urgent need for a tool to bleed brakes was met by Mini-VCI clone cable, I am still interested in any prius owners who have used the OBDlink MX+ for any VCI exclusive functions.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No one that I know of. It's just too inexpensive to use the mini VCI for that so there's no incentive to look for another way to do the brakes.

However, since the MX+ can access all the ECUs, I'd think it could do anything the software asks of it. The deciding factor is if the software can do the job.

pavan_inferno and royrose like this.
  8. pavan_inferno

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For posterity sake, here's what I did. I ended up getting a clone cable Mini VCI to successfully bleed brakes. I had to spend a lot of time setting it up on my laptop. I spent more time installing the tool than replacing the part (ABS accumulator).

WIth regards to my OBDlink SX, I have modified it a few months ago to switch between HS-CAN and MS-CAN buses using a simple DPDT switch. This is essentially what OBDlink EX does, but it does the switching electronically using a solid state switch. I needed to scan both buses for working with my Mazda where some ECUs are on HS-CAN and some on MS-CAN. I am not sure if this is helpful for Prius folks.

I still dont know what magic sauce is there in OBDlink MX+ compared to OBDLink EX. As far as I can tell, it is just a wireless version of EX. Looks like I have to buy it to find out about the sauce :)

Attached Files: