1. pavan_inferno

pavan_inferno New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for a tool to perform ABS related functions like brake bleed and brake system zero down, for an upcoming repair job. I currently own an OBDlink SX which is a USB scan tool and I was able to get ABS system codes from my 2004 Prius. I am looking at two tools to buy which can enable performing a brake bleed : OBDlink MX+ and Autel MaxiAP AP200C. Autel's page says it can do those tasks. I have found very little information about OBDlink MX+ or any OBDlink products being succesfully used with Toyotas for ABS functions. Does anybody here have any experience with OBDlink products on Toyota priuses ?

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    @jerrymildred uses the OBDlink LX and is happy with it, I believe.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's what I have been using for years, quite happy with the results. Here's the latest use:

pavan_inferno and jerrymildred like this.
  4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My understanding is that the difference among OBDLink products is how they connect. The SX connects by USB, the LX connects by bluetooth to Android and windows and the MX+ also connects to Apple IOS devices.

Android Apps like GaragePro OBD 2 Car Scanner may be able to do the ABS brake bleeding.

here is a link to the garage pro app. Looks like you may have to pay for advanced options.

GaragePro OBD 2 Car Scanner - Apps on Google Play

I haven't used it. I use OBDLink with Dr.Prius and Hybrid Assistant. It works well with those.

pavan_inferno likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The OBDLink LX is excellent. It'll talk to every computer on all Gen 4 and Prime Prii. @john1701a makes fantastically informative videos using the Hybrid Assistant app. I don't know how well the MaxiAP software would play with it.

pavan_inferno likes this.
  6. pavan_inferno

pavan_inferno New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your replies. May be my question was not clear. I am already familiar with the diagnostic capabilities of low end OBDlink tools. I wanted to find out if OBDlink MX+ (high end offering) was capable of executing tasks like bleeding brakes.

Although my urgent need for a tool to bleed brakes was met by Mini-VCI clone cable, I am still interested in any prius owners who have used the OBDlink MX+ for any VCI exclusive functions.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No one that I know of. It's just too inexpensive to use the mini VCI for that so there's no incentive to look for another way to do the brakes.

However, since the MX+ can access all the ECUs, I'd think it could do anything the software asks of it. The deciding factor is if the software can do the job.

pavan_inferno and royrose like this.
  8. pavan_inferno

pavan_inferno New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For posterity sake, here's what I did. I ended up getting a clone cable Mini VCI to successfully bleed brakes. I had to spend a lot of time setting it up on my laptop. I spent more time installing the tool than replacing the part (ABS accumulator).

WIth regards to my OBDlink SX, I have modified it a few months ago to switch between HS-CAN and MS-CAN buses using a simple DPDT switch. This is essentially what OBDlink EX does, but it does the switching electronically using a solid state switch. I needed to scan both buses for working with my Mazda where some ECUs are on HS-CAN and some on MS-CAN. I am not sure if this is helpful for Prius folks.

I still dont know what magic sauce is there in OBDlink MX+ compared to OBDLink EX. As far as I can tell, it is just a wireless version of EX. Looks like I have to buy it to find out about the sauce :)

Attached Files: