1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observation of Windshield Defogger Button

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ukr2, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    When the Temp Control is off and you press the FRONT Windshield Defogger button, the Temp Control displays the setting it was last set to and the Fan ramps up to Max. You are able to adjust the Fan speed, if desired.

Now, if you press the OFF button, the Temp Control disapppears, the Fan stops and it's display disappears. However, the FRONT button still has its LED lit.

So what's happening? Is it Defogging with no fan?

Inorder to turn off the FRONT Windshield Defogger button LED, you have to press the FAN UP button, that turns on the Temp Control, then you can press the FRONT button to turn it off. Interesting !!!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah mine does that too, I just chalked it up to being a 'bug' that the light still stays on. No big deal... To turn the light off I just usually hit auto then off.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think all our toyota's have done this, no? i have always found the climate controls confusing.

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I noticed this too.

What's happening? Same thing as when you have windshield+feet and fan is off, except nothing is going to your feet.

Also, to turn it off, you can also just press it twice. No need to fiddle with the fan controls.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hitting the mode button will turn the light off, too.

6. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living in Upstate New York during this “refreshing season”, you need the windshield defrost frequently.
    I have seen numerous posts complaining about not having a “defrost only” selection for the heater vents. To prevent the ICE from turning on and still be able to defrost, people were recommending setting the “temp to LO”, selecting “floor and defrost”, and using manual fan control. They then complain about the cold air blowing on their feet. I already have a Jeep that provides that feature through the rusted floor; I wasn’t going that way.
    The real solution is to use the true “Defrost” feature; the “FRONT” defrost button. The problem with this is that as soon as you select the FRONT button, it goes to AUTO, AC and fan which turns on the ICE. This is unacceptable for all of us that obsess over keeping that darn thing off…….so…...here is my solution.
    • Make sure your temp is set to LO (mine never leaves that setting)
    • When you first get in the car, keep your foot off the Brake Pedal and press the Power Button twice. This will put the car into IGN mode without putting the car in Ready.
    • Now press the FRONT defrost button, the orange light will come on
    • Press the fan “Off” button. This turns the fan off, but the FRONT orange light stays on.
    • Now place your foot on the Brake Pedal and press the POWER On button. The car will now come to READY, climate control and fan are off, but the FRONT orange light is still on.
    • Now drive in your normal “Prius obsessed style”, and when you need Defrost, press the manual FAN button to direct airflow directly to the windshield (only). No more Cold Feet! (and the ICE does not turn on!!!!)
    • When the windshield is clear, press the fan OFF button to stop the fan, but the Defrost mode is still set (orange light still on).
    This works for me..... hopefully others will find this useful.
    Happy New Year!!!!!!

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking of trying this before suggesting it. Glad to know it works!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, fabulous discovery! i will try it tonight! thanks!

9. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    34Hupp, I tried that defroster trick, it didn't work for me. I duplicated it and both times the ICE fired up.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a great tip!
    It's nice to see you can fake out the car and get what you need, not what they think you want!

11. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If it is too cold (not sure the break point yet) when I leave the house in the morning, there is nothing I can do to keep my ICE from starting in less than 1/4 mile from my house. But on those days in low thirties, this seems to work for me. Looks like some more experimentation is required..........

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i went out today and tried hupp's suggestion. i pushed the power button twice without foot on the brake. the car was not 'ready'. i pressed the front defrost button and the light came on, air switched to 'outside' and fan began to ramp up. thinking it wouldn't matter, and needing defrost right away, i turned fan to 'low' and hit power with foot on the brake. as soon as i shifted to reverse, the ice came on.

so tonight when i went out, i repeated the process but shut the fan off before making the car ready. cool, no ice as i drove off to work. after a few miles, the windshield was getting bad so i hit fan low and the ice fired right up. not sure what i'm doing wrong.(n)

13. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Bisco,

You don't mention the setting of your Temp Control. 34Hupp said to set it to LO. Was yours?

If Temp Control is LO, and you only have FRONT Degog and some Fan, what would start the ICE?
    (I hope you're not Fully Charged and going downhill in Regen, which we know starts the ICE, to keep from Overcharging.)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, none of those things. what would start the ice? the front defrost button i guess. that's whu i'm questioning it. have you tried it yet?