1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observations from first road trip in a Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mmmodem, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We just got back from a 1000 mile round trip from San Jose to San Diego. I do this trip 2 to 3 times a year to visit in-laws. We visited the Del Mar Fair and Disney's California Adventure. Below are my notes:

1. 47 mpg. It was disappointing to see my fuel economy drop in half and also my per tank from 700+ to just barely 400 mile range.
    2. I had difficulty reaching freeway cruising speeds in southern California traffic. Average freeway speeds were easily 15-20 mph above where I come from. This was made more apparent while following a friend in a 10 year old Lancer with a 120 hp engine. She literally dusted me as my Prius was at WOT. Once at 80-90 mph, though, I had no problem keeping up with traffic. I think the lighter regular Gen 3 Prius had an edge on me as they blew by with no concern. I feel the extra passengers and batteries in the PiP really hinders performance. I never drove a regular Gen 3 Prius so I can't substantiate these claims.
    3. The CVT was remarkable in that the car did not buck and jerk like conventional automatics shifting up and down while climbing mountains. The drone of the engine at higher rpm was unnerving but no more than a conventional automatic in 3rd or 4 gear. A manual trumps both automatics. (For the word police, I know it is not a CVT)
    4. I was in HV mode most of the time and saved EV for local roads. The multitude of mesas in San Diego meant I never ran out of EV as I easily regenerated more. The Silicon Valley where I come from is mostly flat. It seems that if left in HV mode, EV miles fluctuate +/- 0.5 miles. it never accumulates more. It gets used up again. If I went into EV mode at the start of the descent, then I managed to save the EV for later use.
    5. EV miles continue to accumulate on the EV ratio screen even though kWh remained steady. See Fuelly signature notes. I had no opportunity to charge on my trip as we freeloaded with friends and asking for a plug as well seemed like being ungrateful.
    6. Going north on hwy 5 over the grapevine regenerated 4.7 EV miles from empty. I kept my foot on the brakes and was able to maintain a safe speed (70-75 mph) while keeping the regen bar below max.

The Prius is a better road trip car than my 06 Civic but pales in comparison to my 09 Sonata. Just about everything was mid pack. Seat comfort was superior in my base model Sonata but much
    better than the tight proportions of the Civic. Trunk space is about equal to the Sonata but my rear view was obstructed. We had two adults, a baby, and a toddler. This was surprising as I thought the hatchback form factor would be superior. But the Sonata trunk is cavernous. I borrowed my dad's Corolla spare tire for emergencies and with the double stroller packed on top of it, rear view was blocked. I finally found a use for the awful Prius rearview camera. The hatchback height does make an excellent baby changing table.

So overall, not as comfortable a cruiser as our Sonata with less interior passenger space, higher noise levels, and nearly equal cargo space. But with nearly half the fuel costs, the PiP will continue as the family car. It blows away the Civic in every category except engine performance.

P.S. Saw a Leaf plugged into a 120V outlet in the Disney parking lot. There was an outlet every 10 spots or so along the walls of the parking structure. I was tempted but was too lazy to move my car. Next time, Mickey will have an opportunity to give me an electricity rebate for that $16 parking fee.

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suspect that your speed mentioned in #2 explains #1.

elementnomore and mmmodem like this.
  3. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just did a road trip this weekend myself. Had only the initial charge, did 484 miles with 2 adults, toddler and 8mo old. The car was packed and had the AC running most of the trip. I was able to pull off 56mpg. I really thought it was going to be below 50mpg so I'm very pleased. I was as gentle on the pedal as possible unless necessary. Same as the OP stated, the poor engine was whining on some hills but was smooth as silk.

usbseawolf2000 and mmmodem like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the leaf was probably hill.:cool:

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: driving 80-90mph. I guess I won't be driving in Southern California. :( I am very reluctant to drive over 70 mph. And yes, I stick to the right hand lane when dragging my feet at 70.

Air resistance increases dramatically at the speed gets above 60mph, so I would agree that the speed was a major contributor to the low mpg.

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting to me that out-of-area drivers comment often on how fast we drive here in So. Calif., with a few claiming that traffic regularly cruises at 80 to 90 mph. I haven't clocked anybody, ("officer, I was just trying to find out how fast that guy was going!") but I'm guessing very few drivers exceed 80, let alone do we have traffic cruising at 80 to 90 mph. For one thing, we have heavy traffic on our freeways a good part of the day. On the I-5 freeway between L.A. and San Diego, which the OP probably took, the CHP has a pretty strong presence from what I have noticed. They also use a fixed wing aircraft with ground units stationed on a long onramp, waiting to pounce. On my scanner I've heard the guy in the plane call out speeds, plates and car descriptions to the units on the ground. There are certainly exceptions, but when I drive 68-70 where traffic allows, I don't get passed by very many cars.
    mmmodem, have you checked the accuracy of your speedometer, say against a portable nav unit? And why in the world would you drive that fast with your family in the car? (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

3PriusMike likes this.
  7. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did a 500 mile roadtrip and kept it around 60-65mph, that seems to be sweet spot on hwy in HV mode. With one charge I ended up with 63mpg over the trip. I was very pleased with this. The exact same trip done many times in a GEN 2 prius yields 46mpg.

I did notice when getting up and over 55mph speeds, the instant MPG guage really drops, and over 65 is much lower.

I find this PIP a very comfortable roadtrip vehicle with plenty of space...Tires alittle loud but probably due to my higher PSI.

Dan

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did 1,112 miles road trip with AC set at 76 F and got 60 MPG with recharges at hotels. If I remove the 71 EV miles, I got 56 MPG.

I went together with Nissan Quest and Honda Odyssey. They got about 20 MPG and 27 MPG respectively.

radiocycle and mmmodem like this.
  9. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drove either in the HOV or the left lane. Speeds were as I described for those lanes. The right lanes could get away with 65-70 mph, I suppose. I chose the HOV lanes to avoid traffic and get to my destination quicker. In LA and San Diego, HOV lanes are segregated so you cannot move in and out at will to allow others to pass. The choice was to possibly get stuck in right lane traffic or go with the flow. I don't feel the speed is unsafe or that the Prius was difficult to handle. In fact, I was very impressed at how smooth and stable the ride was. I'm shocked I got 47 mpg going as fast as I did.

I went to school in LA so I'm familiar with the higher speeds. 80 mph was my goto freeway speed before my last traffic ticket going 70 mph about 4 years ago in Fremont. That 5 mile over ticket cost me $221 and started me on the journey towards efficiency. In Northern California, I can go 55 mph in the right lane and still have to slow down and not just for vehicles entering or exiting. I haven't used a GPS to check the accuracy of my speedometer but I'm confident it's within 2 mph of error.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My experience was very similar to yours on my trip from Woodland to Chatsworth then to Riverside in the PPI. Doing 75-80mph on i5 will definitely hurt FE but I ended the trip at 49mpg. With a full car including the dog I think that number is pretty damn good. I only had the single charge from home.

11. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gotta love the hills and valleys here in San Diego. They are a major reason I can keep regenerating - and can still get almost 68 'mpg' with only a nightly wall charge for a 60 mile daily R/T. I get well over 20 miles of EV travel just by using regen strategies.

As far as speeding goes, it really depends on the freeway and time of day. I make a long coast (5 miles) once I hit the freeway in the morning (staying below 62MPH) and then switch over to HV until I exit the freeway. There is some advantage to switching over to EV while in a downhill coast, but I can't quantify it (yet).

12. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree! Why do people feel it is worth the risk and the fuel to drive so fast?

13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Speed is relative. What's safe and fuel efficient to some is dangerously slow and rude to others. What's normal speed to some is reckless and risky to others. Drive as you see fit but arguing what speed is best is an exercise in futility. See here:
    S-L-O-W Prius law? | PriusChat

F8L likes this.