1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observations of displayed vs calculated mpg's

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChipL, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much data than a few fill-ups, but noticing that the the difference between the MFD mpg and calculated mpg seems to based on how much EV driving one does. My best differences between the two seem to be when I haven't done lots of slow speed driving using the EV band on the MFD...

Any others with thoughts on this?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always thought maybe the error is worse because of lag time during EV to ICE transitions. Heck if I know though.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just seeing a trend on my Fuelly postings in that when I do straight highway runs with little regard to maxing mpg's by running in the EV side of things the differences are lower. My best mpg rating was using anticipation of hills and letting the downhill runs do their magic. This on stock tires.

4. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chip, please elaborate on your hill driving technique. I have seen some reference to accelerating downhill and others to gliding. (I am referring to the typical urban/suburban hills, not mountains!)

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steve, what I do with the foothills that we have in Northern Virginia is that I will accelerate moderately as I am on a downhill run, keeping the mpg bar next to the speedometer above 75mpg's if possible. Since I maintain about 3 to 5mph above the posted when on level ground, I try to get to about 5 to 10mph over the posted limit at the bottom of the hill, using the momentum to carry me up the hill with moderate pedal pressure if needed. Otherwise I will allow the momentum to slow me down to my regular speed at the crest of the hill and allow me to glide a bit on the next downhill run.

After watching the YouTube video about driving techniques on the Prius and seeing the comments on priuschat that cruise control does not help the mpg's on the Prius (sadly AFTER I took delivery, and took me a couple of months to get the hang of working the best mpg's). Add to that the warmer weather has helped as well, even as mild as March was in this area. :)

I see that you are just past the break-in period according to your Fuelly page. You should start seeing an increase even with the way you might have been driving so far. I would also suggest that you use the notes on Fuelly to keep yourself and others posted on what sort of driving and conditions that led to the mpg's for each fill-up.

It was with my notes that I noticed firsthand that CC use had an impact on my mpg's. And that the difference between MFD and calculated seems to be affected at how much one drives under pure EV mode. Time on the later will tell me if I am right.

6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was discovered about 3 years ago when GenIII started to sell in the US.

I have almost 3 years record ... the GEN III has about 4-5% error always over reporting MFD mpg .... I am running per tanks and overall records. The percent is pretty consistent over different driving conditions weather speed etc ...

I was unable to determine any trend. It is not mpg but percent .. and again it is pretty much constant while my mpg depends on seasonal weather ... the error not.

7. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a newbie of sorts, so with the mild weather the difference between displayed and calculated are more pronounced perhaps.

Love the results you have on Fuelly, but your notes on there haven't shared the difference between displayed and calculated mpg's...

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Remember Fuelly IS calculated .. you input mile and gallons and good fully script monkey calculates ....

I only started using fuelly recently not sure where you would put the car reported results... I have those in my actually spreadsheet .... which calculates couple of othe stuff ....

Problem with Fuelly is that it summs up individual mileage and gets out of sync of the odometer reported ...

9. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if I follow you there :confused: Other than tracking the stated vs actual mpg, it does what is does well.

It would be nice as more cars have a mpg computer to show both. But with your last comment, not sure how they get out of sync.. other than for those of us that so anal that that we track things to the 1/10 of a gallon... I use the simple odometer reading to post and calculate my mpg's on Fuelly.

For a site that is free, I am impressed at their going strong so far with what they offer....

10. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is the mile... your Trip a show 450.5 mile btw 450.500000 and 450.59999999 potentially every fill up introducing on average .05 miles adds up ...

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While .05 miles adds up, but not enough to add up... even at 75K miles a .05 mile difference is just 3750 miles. but thinking you meant .5 miles.

You have to to look at the the savings here here on Fuelly, then differences between .5 per a mpg is less with the Prius...

Attached Files:

12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it is not how much mile you drive but how many reading and reseting of TripA (I use that ..)

in other words you loose the anything after the first decimal

you make a reading X.5 miles that is somewhere x.500000 and x.59999999 difference is 0.099999999999 or 0.1 so you have your error btw 0.000 and 0.099999999~0.1 averge 0.05 miles

this is not much but I can already see it ...

Just checked my spreadsheet currently 17.miles difference btw odometer and the sum of all the trip miles ....

I did not understand this when I started so I choose the mile driven method rather than Absolute odometer ... apparently you cannot switch.

ChipL likes this.
  13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This last sentence I do not understand what you are trying to say .... I was talking about the average error of mile reading ....

OK I just looked at your Fully data ... and now understand what you were saying you put the MFD and errror info in the notes thing.

I do not put that much info anymore ... I use CleanMPG and have more extensive notes there.... the Fuelly is new to me.

Again just checked my spreadsheet the mean error over the 78 fill up is 4.58 with standard deviation 1.29 the overall error now (all miles all fuel is 5.56 although full trip MFD was reset once so MFD is not the 36000+ miles)

14. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I started to do this a couple tanks ago. Before I would just drive aggressively. Boy what a difference.
    I was before getting in the 44 mpg range consistently for about a year not counting a few in the 46-47 range.
    Two tanks ago = 54.8 reading, 51.7 calculated driving 455 miles and last tank I got 57 reading, 54.4 calculated driving 514 miles. This is with AC on constantly every time (I live in Phx AZ.), stock tires @ 35/33.
    This tank I'm getting about 54.7 so far dash reading with 150 miles.
    I'm not trying as hard as last tank, and not worrying about my MPG constantly.

What seems to help a lot is if you increase your speeds on downhills and try to glide or give not that much gas uphill like you have said, plus I would like to add, don't speed.
    On the highway I go 65-70, as before I was driving in the 80's mph.

ChipL likes this.
  15. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Change your tire pressure to about 42 F/40 R and you'll see another increase in MPGs. Probably at least 2 MPGs more!

ChipL likes this.
  16. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I was toying with that idea the past month but didn't do it. How is the ride @ 42/40 on stocked 2012 Prius Yoko tires?

17. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not a very particular guy about the ride, but I don't really notice a difference. What's the worst that can happen ... you fill the tires to 42/40 and you don't like it ... you let out some air to the original psi. No harm no foul!

That's the best thing about changing tire pressure, you don't have to change anything else including driving style to get better mileage. If you think it's too harsh a ride, try somewhere in the middle!

BTW - yesterday I got 70.3 mpg coming home from work (34.7 miles) at an average speed of 39 mph. Don't let the 39 mph fool you, I hit traffic. When I wasn't in stop and go traffic, I kept up to most everyone else.

18. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    True.
    One concern would be increased wear in the middle of the tire and I think it would be easier to get a blow out.
    But after reading some posts on pressure this high and higher it doesn't seem to create increased wear.
    What about tire blow out? Does air pressure above the recommended run the risk of blow out or make it more likely.

Nice job on the mpg coming home from work. Is that dash reading or a guesstimate subtracting 2.5-3 mpg from dash?

19. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far the tires go, I'm not an expert on that. But, there is usually a significant factor of safety calculated in.

It's the dash reading, so it's probably about 66 real mpg. I'm usually about 6% high.

BTW - I usually drive around in the Normal mode.

20. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My theory seems to be holding up with my last road trip with a -4% difference.