1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observed cold weather MPG difference

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by Aran, Nov 7, 2013.

1. LlF

LlF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://i.imgur.com/dHtTpJy.jpg
    This is highway driving with winter tires on bare road at 109km/h, at -26c, with octane free gas.
    I later speed to 125km/h but the consumption seems the same.

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where in hell is it -26oC?

3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    -26 C Not too bad. We're at -12 F now, and it's just starting to get cold ;)

4. LlF

LlF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im in canada. in gaspe it is even lower, -44c.
    at -30c/-22f , the suspension is all stiff, the steering is heavier, even the gear shift won't spring back as easily...
    I read in the manual that when the temp is cold I should wait for the READY light to stay on before driving off, surprisingly that light only flashed like 2 seconds, but it was no way ready to drive at that moment...

5. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Better you than me :)

Off topic, but years ago we went around the Gaspe Peninsula. What a beautiful place that was.

6. Aran

Aran New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And have you guys noticed any increase in the margin of disparity between computer and calculated MPG as temperatures dip? In my ignorant mind, the computer should understand the additional taxation of colder temps. With this polar vortex thingamabob, for my last tank the computer showed something like 42.5 while the calculated MPG was 38.4. This was the widest margin to date.

7. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned "winter" gasoline. Most, if not all, gasoline blends are reformulated for cold weather driving. As a result, gas-powered engines are easier to start in cold weather, but at the expense of MPG, due to the BTU's available in winter gasoline. Perhaps, one of the engineers on this thread could explain this in a more scientific way.

Another factor is the Prius' engine has to run more often to deliver cabin heat.

Still, another reason for lower MPG, is air density. The ideal fuel/air mixture on a "standard" day, (at sea level 59*F/15*C), is around 15 parts air to 1 part fuel. Air is much denser with cold temperatures; i.e., more air molecules. Therefore, to produce the most efficient air/fuel mixture, the amount of fuel has to be increased in order to maintain that 15/1 air-fuel ratio. This is accomplished by the fuel injection computer. Hence, lower MPG.

john1701a and Aran like this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That fact has been beaten to death over the past 13 years of Prius ownership... making it easy to not notice it missing in 1 of the 100's of threads all on the same topic.