1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Occasional high pitch chirp when accelerating between 25-30mph *video*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hamilton, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Hamilton

Hamilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry not trying to be rude. But had not received a response since posting the video clip which showed more clearly the exact noise I was talking about.

And thank you for the reply Goneflying. It sounds very much like the sound from the video. Thank you! I just know that if you dont give the dealerships some ideas they dont do anything and cant ever replicate the noise. Plus cars dont like to act up in front of mechanics either. This helps!

2. Goneflying

Goneflying Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to be of help! I've been searching for pretty much a year to find the cause of this rattle, as it drove me nuts at times. As my 'technical knocks' on the dash didn't work, I searched google and youtube and that video popped up. There is also a thread on priuschat too about this issue:

Chirping/Electrical Noise? | PriusChat

Edit: The conditions for me, when this rattle occured were:
    - Usually after 20 minutes or so.
    - When accelerating, or cruising at around 65mph, it disappeard when releasing the gas pedal
    - It got worse and lengthier when the temperatures outside went up, spring, summer. Also when driving in strong headwinds.

I still have a recorded video of my own on this rattle. I will upload it to youtube tonight and post it here.

I had my mechanic read the comments on this video and have him hear my own recorded video on this noise. He agreed it was the same and gave the coolant lines and clamp a look. Took some isolation material, put that around the screw that connects the clamp to the 'inner wall' and made sure everything was fastened correctly. In the beforementioned topic about this rattle the solution was to reroute the coulant lines. My mechanic wanted to try the quick solution first (can't blame him).

Never heard that noise again.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, I believe it was the clamp of the coulant lines that rattled against that inner wall where its fastend to. It's the area behind the motor, pretty much in the middle of the engine bay that you/the mechanic should be looking into.

#22 Goneflying, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Hamilton

Hamilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Goneflying! That's great info. Appreciate greatly your help. (y)

4. hwy1north

hwy1north Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2014 suffers same noise. Thanks for the "isolation" tip!

5. Hamilton

Hamilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know how you get it solved please. I have not had the chance to head to my dealership yet with the list of options.
    Thanks!