1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Occasional low speed transaxle shudder

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only at low speeds and not all the time. Usually when coming in for a landing off the freeway the front end shudders. And it seems to be heat related. There are no codes set. The IC & hybrid drive work well otherwise.

As I don't know all of the history of the car, I'm gonna try a comprehensive oil change first--removing the pan, etc. I've ordered a case of Mobil 3309, which is supposed to help control shudder. It is a compatible oil, btw.

I have access to a JY 03 Prius with 158k miles. Probably the transmission and the IC engine could be had for less than $500, probably much less. Include would the the MG1 & 2. Which seems like a fine deal to me. The only thing is that daily temps here are 95+. And our monsoon season has arrived, so humidity is a problem. One of the gen 1 cars they had has gone to the crusher, and I'm kind of worried that the other one will go too.

The car: It's the 02 that I dragged home from Texas, got it from member Linda L. for $400. Replaced the booster pump and I've put a couple of thousand miles on it. So it's got 202k miles on it. Looked up it's service history on the Toyota site, it's got a current (40k) inverter pump, a good booster pump, and new, factory HV battery in Oct. 2013, a nice new paint job, new custom wheels, nice interior, new windshield, etc. I'm planning on an interstate road trip in Aug. to go see the eclipse. It's a really nice example and turns heads.