1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

occasional vibration at road speed

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tug, Sep 15, 2013.

1. tug

tug New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2013 prius c,have only travelled 900 k,s since delivery,have noticed a vibration on acceleration and also when travelling at a consistant speed,this occurs with the ICE operatiing or not,so I don,t think it is the ICE,It feels like the vibration that occurs on conventional rear drive vehicles when the universal joints nead to be replaced,any sugestions.I am returning to the dealer tomorrow and would like to hear from any prius c owner who has experienced a similar problem,ammunition you might say,waiting for comments,Tug.

2. Rob F Schmitz

Rob F Schmitz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have about 12k+ miles and I notice a vibration that occurs when the car is traveling at about 49 mph and the green curve on the score screen is slightly above the break line (about in the middle of the curve). It feels almost like a vibration as noted when driving a manual car in too high a gear for the speed.

What did the dealer say?

3. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

+1 -- You describe this perfectly. I had been meaning to post about it. I noticed it the first time a few weeks ago. This is my first winter with the car so I'm wondering: Have you noticed it in all weather conditions or more so when cold?

Rob F Schmitz likes this.
  4. Rob F Schmitz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I have only had the car for a little over a month so it seems to be more prevalent since it has gotten colder. Sunday is supposed to be in the mid 60's so I'll see if it is any less noticeable.

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like a sticky CV joint, or an episode of speed variable torque steer.

6. JP2085

JP2085 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, I've noticed this also. Not when accelerating but when maintaining a constant speed. Depends on where my foot is on the throttle. And "when driving a manual car in too high a gear for the speed" is describing it exactly (or "lugging" it I guess). I only notice it I'd say in the 35-50 MPH range. Hard to notice but I notice it nonetheless...

7. Rob F Schmitz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok now that we went from 20s to the 60s and back, I can say that it is temperature dependent as it is quite a bit more noticeable as it gets colder.

8. Rob F Schmitz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The dealer has repeatedly told me that they "can't duplicate what I am describing". Even when I take a technician along, they seemingly can't feel it even though others can.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hang on, you have had this issue for 5 years?

10. Rob F Schmitz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yup and any dealer that I take it to can't feel it. The best way to describe it is as if a u-joint is going bad in a rear wheel drive vehicle and at a certain speed you begin to feel a vibration. Not as noticeable in warmer weather than when it gets colder out. But yes, never has been resolved.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her now? have you done anything since '13?

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is a "shimmy" type "vibration" around 42-47 mph. It's where the engine is starting to take over and the hybrid is ending control. It's kind of a "fight" for control situation that makes a weird situation.

13. Castanea

Castanea Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ztanos, that sounds like a good explanation of what is likely causing it. I have noticed the vibration too; barely perceptible, seems to be affected by outside temperature. As Rob said (years ago, now) it appears to be right around the area where the "green curve" on the Eco Score screen is right at or barely above the midpoint "break," and only when running at constant speed with the "curve" at this level. That would fit with ztanos' interpretation of it as the ICE and hybrid not quite sure which is going to be in control.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like an intermittent issue in the electronics governing the HSD's ICE/MG1/MG2 power-splitting epicyclic/planetary gearset/differential.

15. Sinisa

Sinisa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have same problem on mine. 2012. Prius C with 290000 km .

16. Rob F Schmitz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    87,000 plus miles now. Nothing has changed, same issue and over the years, they tech's claim that they can't feel anything, even when I take them for the ride to point it out.