1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oceangate-gate....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Jun 21, 2023.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope.
    Darwin.
    I remember the same thing about the De Havilland Comet.
    As it turns out, large square windows aren't compatible with airliners. No carbon fiber back then.
    Thresher was lost (most probably) due to a bad weld joint, back aft.
    It's not the pressure hull, it's all of those pesky hull penetrations!
    Flooding, how ever it got started, led to a cascading series of events resulting in a hull-loss incident.
    Badly engineered chicken switches, improper post-SCRAM steam management, and an under-rated HP air system didn't help.
    I was never aboard Thresher, but I saw some of her sister ships.
    No carbon fiber there either.
    Thresher was supposed to be the lead ship of the new Thresher-class of submarines buuuuuut they changed them all to Permit-Class boats after a harsh lesson in stretching boundaries - LIKE RMS Titanic....LIKE the De Havilland Comet.

Scorpion
    ?
    No Comment. :whistle:
    The photos are still classified.
    Maybe ask P45? He might still have a few... ;)

You can call them 'crew' or 'passengers' if you like, but generally speaking you pay to be a passenger and you GET paid if you're a crew member. Also, the USCG probably has authority on the surface of the moon for a privately held U.S. company operating out of Everett, Washington.
    Either way, it does not matter.
    The CEO has already been held accountable by a higher authority, Neptunus Rex.
    I'm 'pretty sure' that the remaining company assets will now be sold off to pay for litigation, rescue recoupments, etc and their reputation will now be similar to a Belgian multinational drink and brewing company's American lite beer division....and curiously, probably for a similar reason.

Sea water conducts electricity.
    It's also heavy.
    That's inconvenient for deep-sea exploration OR exploitation.
    Otherwise?
    You could get high school drop-outs to do the hardware end of oceanography.
    If you're not going to get doughy middle-aged bubbleheads to help you out with the nuts and bolts of 'life out there' then you should at least hire some of the kids over in oil and gas.

Either way.....the sea isn't interested in your DEI score.
    Physics does not care about people's feelings. ;)

I read on CNN where more people have been to the Moon than have been to the bottom of the ocean, which like many things you read or watch on 'fake news' is mostly balloon juice, but with a kernel of truth to it.
    What they should have said is that the Moon as been 100-% mapped to within a foot or two, but our own oceans have most certainly NOT been studied to nearly that degree.
    Why?
    All that water gets in the way.
    Even as recently as the last year or two, we continue to bend submarines and break people by bumping into 'previously unmapped underwater features.'

#21 ETC(SS), Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Merkey likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing I could think of here is that these subs spend >99% of their time on dry land, the deck of a ship (think crane rating) or being air-freighted.

They may have been trying to save money on logistics with an otherwise-illogical materials choice.

Trollbait and Merkey like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which gets more marine rescue assistance and news media attention: a few billionaire tourists stretching the bounds of personal safety beyond the breaking point for bragging rights in getting to a deep ocean tourist site in a risky submersible, or 750 impoverished migrants desperately trying to cross a narrow sea on a risky fishing trawler to get to a place with much better life opportunity?

One (likely) killed 5 rich people while many resources from multiple governments sped to the scene. The other foundered and killed about 650 poor people while a government coast guard vessel, already on scene before the sinking, stood by and watched, then called a nearby yacht with just 4 crew members to come in and do most of the rescue work, while no news media were on scene. And this was just one of many such boatloads of poor people getting into trouble making the same journey.

Shades of Missing white woman syndrome?

A superyacht gave a lifeline to 100 migrants thrown into the sea

4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to send a carrier strike group to the 'Shores of Tripoli' and make them change their flag again!!!

Unlike 2011, maybe it will actually WORK this time.....

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Show me a piece of the boat and we will call the investigation portion of this adventure complete.
    I'm.....uh......thinking that there might not be much left to recover.

After all, the underwater craft's destination WAS a debris field.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, they haven't identified anything yet, nor the banging sound the surveillance planes heard in different areas.
    it is amazing that the ship had seven different methods of surfacing, but none of them worked, unless they are floating and have not been spotted.
    unfortunately, there is no egress from inside

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A lot of folks don't realize that at those depths, even the smallest leak becomes a knife that can disassemble the contents almost instantly. This is one case where a "deadman's switch" to surface the vehicle makes sense.

Now there are two debris fields next to each other ... to attract more tourists.

Bob Wilson

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see I'm just barely keeping up. If I hadn't stumbled on this article just earlier today, I wouldn't even have been able to guess what you were going on about.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-missing-titanic-sub-is-already-a-culture-war-battlefield

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, i hadn't seen any of that in the articles i've read. sounds like social media stuff, not news.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good work everyone, see you all back in the AM radio or gas stove threads!

13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are trade offs with any material. Hydrogen cars wouldn't be possible without composite tanks.

15. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Composite tanks will have a finite number of fill and emptying cycles. Steel will have ab almost infinite number of cycles, if not subject to overpressure, corrosion or physical damage. Even aluminum has a limited cycle life, because it does not need to be stressed to close to its yield pressure to develop stress fatigue cracks. That was discovered in the De Havilland Comet in the 1950's.

The only reason that the Douglas DC-3 is still flying today is that it does not have a pressurized cabin.

16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been my primary thought every time I've heard reports on this story. I'm really appalled at the contrast in reporting and rescue efforts in these two cases.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Darwin.

The CEO previously reproduced, his genes live on with two children. Thus, he is DQed from this 'award', at least by the original usenet rules I still adhere to.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darwin is sloppy like that.....

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would always be a weird feeling. I have a friend who was hungover and late for a conference in Windows On The World on 9/11. He and another friend who had to go to Chicago to mollify an angry client were the only people from their unit of the company who survived. They both really struggled with the entirely-unmerited but totally understandable guilt for years afterwards.