1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oceangate-gate....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Jun 21, 2023.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, this was a surprise, i didn't think there'd be anything left:

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Conservation of matter, matters.
    There was everything left.
    The container was opened, and some of the pieces-parts were re-arranged and perhaps distributed locally but nothing 'disappeared.'

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Conservation of matter" Oh jeez. >100 yrs ago bottom feeders had a royal feast there, followed by a long food-input drought. They wandered off or (mostly) died or failed in reproduction.

Deep sea floor is yummy by way of dead-whale-fall; locally large but scarce.

Now we had a new ton or so of meat fall on site, and bottom feeders did not recruit to that before salvage lifters lifted. This is biology playing out in time and space. Or missing a play. Conservation of matter is SUCH a different thing. I simply cannot allow really important concepts to be misused.

==
    Carbon fiber composites are odd things unfamiliar to deep sea floor bottom feeders. Any nibbles done to those would be interesting. I guess.. Leather and rubber from Titanic the First are still present after >100 yrs, and more 'familiar' as food.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought i had read that there likely wouldn't be anything large enough left to find. maybe it was unlikely

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Of the people?
    There is a good amount of the ship that was out side of the pressure vessel that would only sustain damage by the loss of the hull it was attached too.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the potential violence and turbulence of a high pressure implosion, it seems that an uncertain but very significant portion of the original soft pieces could be liquefied, to quickly disperse in the currents. From a local perspective, that is equivalent to 'disappeared.'

Those were the initial thoughts of many, but without knowing exactly where and how the pressure hull failed, accurate predictions are near impossible. Different initial failure points and modes could produce very different results. And turbulence within high energy events is very unpredictable, leading to some surprising results of what 'soft' things -- generally smaller pieces -- end up with comparatively little damage.