1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Octane Level's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prakash, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Prakash

Prakash New Member

I wanted to know if anybody can help me resolve this issue. I looked at the previous posts but could not come to a conclusion.. I am waiting for Toyota to email me back on
    this issue.

All the 2004, 2005, and 2006 Owner Manuals state:

"Select unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher"

However, in the FAQ Link posted from Wikipedia it reads:

" Fuel Type

Page 204 of the 2005 Owner's manual. The Prius is designed to run on unleaded 87 octane fuel (85 in high altitudes) (R+M)/2 method [1], and is not calibrated to derive any advantage from slower and cooler burning higher octane, such as higher MPG. The Atkinson cycle effectively prevents it, so engine deposits and higher emissions can be expected due to incomplete burn and the catalytic converter not running hot enough to efficiently clean it. "

The owners manuel recommends octane rating 87 or higher.

The Faq provided from previous post on this topic indicate that the atkinson cycle prevents any advantage from higher octane levels than 87.

i currently use exxon's supreme octane rating 93, which has high anti-knock ratings. however after reading all this information i have considered using 87. i have not used 93 for that long. plus 87 is cheaper. so if the atkinson cycle prevents any advantage a octane level of 93 it would be pointless for me to continue using it.

the owners manuel recommends 87 or higher.

so which would be the best way to go? :unsure:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lowest octane rating that does not ping

3. Prakash

Prakash New Member

does the atkinson cycle prevent potential advantage from higher
    octane levels than 87?

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there is no need to have higher octane. it only prevent premature ignition by raising the flash point of the fuel. pre ignition can be caused by hotter than normal running engines (hard to do on a Prius since the duty time of the ICE is not 100 % like a standard vehicle) running high compression.

the reason, as the air fuel mixture is compressed, the temp of the mixture rises. the higher the compression, the hotter it gets. if the mixture gets too hot, it starts to ignite too early causing that pinging sound. pinging is basically mini explosions of the mixture before its ready to blow which causes back pressure while on the compression stroke.

the higher the octane, the higher the flash point. it provides no other benefit. if you can use 85 octane and not get ping and its cheaper, do it.
    that option is usually only available at high altitudes... but for 99% of all needs, 87 will do just fine

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So Car dudes, here's a question. I live in Denver. I use 87 octane because the dealership told me to. I'd love to use 85 octane since it's even cheaper than 87. Am I pushing it or does that make sense give my altitude?

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you can use 85 and it dont ping, do it.

7. Prakash

Prakash New Member

can you describe the ping sound, coming from the engine

so i can detect it properly

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm ya well...

kinda sounds like

ping ping ping

oh heck i do not know... take a screw driver and tap on the top of the valve cover about 3-5 times per second... that is close.

the best way to test, is to floor it. if its present, you will have no problem hearing it. in fact, you can usually hear it over your stereo without too much difficulty. it has a much higher pitch than anything sound your engine will make

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

IMPORTANT NOTES:

(Pinging, knocking, detonation are all same.)

Most modern cars today have very advanced ping sensors (or anti knock sensors). The computer "senses" the impending ping/knock then retards the engine timing to prevent it. You may never hear the noise, and won't know that the engine is doing it. The only noticeable effect is the reduced power and... MORE EMISSIONS! I know that is important to Prius drivers!

Anyway, this pinging/knocking/detonation can damage the engine, so it stops it from happening. It may not be noticable in the Prius though, as it is not as powerful as other cars.

In our twin-turbo Volvo XC90, this is very critical. In a turbocharged engine, this detonation can be catastrophic, and the computer goes to great lengths to prevent it. If you fill anything less than premium (91/93 octane), the decreased power actually can be quite noticable under acceleration. In turbocharged cars it is extremely important to use hte highest octane possible, not so much from the danger of detonation, but from the greatly hampered engine. And like I said, the emissions ususlly go up quite a bit.

As I said, in a Prius it's not so much a problem. As someone noted, sue to the intermitent use of the ICE, it rarely gets too hot, and the compression is not so much a factor either. Still, you may never knoe if your engine is pinging or not since the computer cuts it off before it happens. Best bet is to just use the recommended octane, or if you're paranoid, once step higher.

I myself fill regular.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll stick to 87 octane.

11. Prakash

Prakash New Member

So does the Atkins Cycle prevent any advantages a higher level of octane
    than 87 would provide?

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

lower compression under high load and high compression under low load, it automatically strives to get the most power out of the engine under all conditions. Also the knock sensor will retard the timing if it detects spark knock (detonation) occuring.

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I suggest to you, if your up to the test is to put 85 in your Prius and do the mileage test and see if your mileage remains the same as 87 with no loss of power. If the answer is yes, I'd use it. If all of your driving is in Denver or a mile up your probably a prime candidate for 85. Then if your going on a trip and it'll take you down to breathable altitude I'd fill with 87. No sense spending more for octane your car doesn't need.

14. yauman

yauman New Member

It's the higher altitute. The same gasoline tested at 87 octane at sea-level will test at 85 octane or lower at higher altitute. No big deal.. ust the lowest octane you can buy and the Prius will be happy.

15. yauman

yauman New Member

the rule of thumb for many modern car, Prii or otherwise that have computer controlled ignition is to use the lowest octane gas possible - there is absolutely not benefit to using higher octane gas - just cost more and make the electronics adjusting the engine work harder.

If it pings, maybe go to the next higher level - but first have the timing and engine control modules checked.

16. Prakash

Prakash New Member

I hear no ping/detonation/knock using Octane Rating 93.

However, is the following line by Wikipedia true ?

"Fuel Type
    Page 204 of the 2005 Owner's manual. The Prius is designed to run on unleaded 87 octane fuel (85 in high altitudes) (R+M)/2 method [1], and is not calibrated to derive any advantage from slower and cooler burning higher octane, such as higher MPG. The Atkinson cycle effectively prevents it, so engine deposits and higher emissions can be expected due to incomplete burn and the catalytic converter not running hot enough to efficiently clean it. "

17. Prakash

Prakash New Member

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. Prakash

Prakash New Member

Does anybody know if the following line from Wikipedia is indeed true?

"Fuel Type

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    anything over 87 can cause starting problems with long term use. (from the toyota hybrid diagnosis training manual)

i suggest you do a search on "octane" because this has come up many times before.