1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ODB2 reader options - wired other than techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LKasdorf, Aug 14, 2021.

1. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm really tired of trying to use bluetooth ODB2 adaptors. I current have a blue generic ELM327, a BAFX bluetooth. I cannot get either to appear on my phone (they used to, but must have died). I have a BAFX wifi ODB2 that I have never gotten to work. I can connect to it in the wifi of my phone, but I cannot get either Torque Pro or Dr Prius (I bought the version for wifi) to connect to it.

Why is this so damn hard? I actually have techstream running on an old laptop, but it is a hassle and extremely slow. I have to run a power cord because the battery in the laptop is old.

Is there an affordable wired ODB2 scanner for a prius that will let you look at the battery cell voltages, and maybe even test the battery, like Dr. prius?

Or do I just need to get a better quality ELM327?

Also- am I killing these adaptors by plugging/unplugging when the car is running?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No known issues with plugging and unplugging when car is running... But there have been some glitches for folks who leave it plugged in all the time. Primarily your issue is there's tons of garbage OBD2 readers that'd be illegal to sell if we had adequate consumer protection laws, but we don't, so...

When I bought my first OBD2 reader I had to return it and by another. It wasn't till the fourth reader I bought that things started to work for me. Here's a buyers guide to help you identify garbage readers from good ones: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Meg&Bear likes this.