1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ODBII connector broken

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Ronald Doles, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I recently purchased a 2015 Prius V. I bought a ScanGauge and after finding the location of the ODBII port, I discovered that the ODBII plug has broken away from the bracket that is supposed to hold it.

If I attempt to push the scangauge socket onto the vehicle ODBII connector, it just moves back through the bracket that is supposed to secure it to the underside of the dash.

Does anyone know if the ODBII cable under the dash plugs into the vehicle wiring harness somewhere with another connector or is it just part of the vehicle wiring harness? If it is a plug-in harness, can I purchase just that connectors/harness with the bracket or is this going to be a much bigger job?

I am 71 and standing on my head to try to figure this out is really a challenge.

For now I removed the plastic cover under the dash so that I could reach the back of the ODBII plug. I was able to hold the back of the plug with one hand while pressing the ScanGauge socket into it with the other hand. This worked but I would feel better if this connector was secured to the car.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure how much of the wiring harness you have to buy to replace the odb2 connector. Some might pick one up at a junk yard and splice it in if necessary. A better pathforward would be to go to the dealer's parts department and ask them what you need to replace the connector. Write down the part numbers and pricing and then google it for online pricing. In any case, find out from the parts department if the connector has a short cable with perhaps one end point. Be sure to bring your VIN number as some trims and builds have different parts.

One thing you could do is return the corded ScanGuage (assuming that is what you have) and then buy a bluetooth wireless module for $28 and "permanently" attach it to the OBD2 connector with a zip tie or tape. Then you get a free download of "Car Scanner" or similar and you can read and clear codes. This model powers itself down with the car and so can be left plugged in safely.*

However the downside is that other repairmen may also need that connector from time to time.
    So you could get an OBD2 extension cable for $8 and "permanently" install it in a similar manner. This one is 5 ft but you could probably find one that is shorter. Then anyone can use it and you could still save money with a bluetooth scanner module.* Plus with proper routing there would be no more "standing on your head" to connect.

*Note:
    I have found the bluetooth scanner modules work fine but occasionally don't quickly connect to your IOS or Android phone or tablet. What works for me is to turn off the car's head unit bluetooth temporarily if that happens. Get the scanner module connected to the app and then turn on the car's bluetooth if needed for the phone or other media.

#2 rjparker, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Raytheeagle and Air_Boss like this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From the sound of it, either the 'ears' (retaining clips) have stripped off the OBDII plug or the corresponding material is missing from the lower dash shroud. No reason to start playing with wires.

If the OBDII ears are missing, crazy (gorilla,JB, etc.) glue the OBDII to the shroud.

If there is material missing from the shroud, see above... or replace the shroud.

(Or do as rjparker suggests and go bluetooth, but you'll still want to fill the hole in the shroud.)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have a v, but if the mounting is similar to what I remember from my Gen 1 (where I had occasion to disassemble it once), the connector did just snap into place, thanks to springy plastic 'ears' on the sides, as Air_Boss describes.

It's possible they could be broken, but because I don't think you've said in so many words, have you tried looking closely at it for snap-retention ears, and tried snapping it back into place, to make sure it was not simply released at some point?

5. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I will take a look but I believe that after I took the plastic cover off so that I could get my hand behind the connector, I was able to push the connector back into the bracket but when I attempted to insert the ScanGauge it just slid back out of the bracket. If I held it in place, I could plug the ScanGauge in. Whatever used to secure the connector has probably snapped off.

The car has 60k miles on it. I am new to Toyota vehicles and hybrids. Do they normally run diagnostics thru the ODBII port when you bring the car into the dealer for the oil change and service checks at the 5000 mile intervals?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No they don’t but Hybrids and any modern car are full of sensors and data points that are accessed through that connector. Most of those sensors will only bring up a check engine light so a OBDII reader becomes essential to finding and repairing a fault. The hybrid brings an additional set of sensors. Attached is a look at some of the data.

Attached Files: