1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd erosion and clear bubble in paint on 2022 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan Y, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Dan Y

Dan Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have a 2022 Prius bought in late August 2021, and I recently noticed several small oddities in the pain on both the driver's and passenger's side of the vehicle at or near the upper front corner of the back panel on the side above the wheel. I don't know how much this is factory defect, some aspect of my care of car like not washing enough (but like I said only had it 6 months), or the fact that I was rear ended back in September when only had car for 1 month and had minor repairs to back end by shop I was pointed to by Geico insurance -- that was a mixed experience to due to some customer service aspects but I didn't notice anything wrong with their actual work at time. So pictures attached: there are three oddities on passenger's side all within 6 inches of each other along that gap between panels there, two small erosion-like spots and then a clear streak and dot between them like an oddity in the clear coat. Then on the driver's side there is just one small erosion at corner on gap. I noticed this before recent 6 month Toyota Care free servicing but totally spaced on mentioning it. I have included photos. Thoughts on what this is and whether I can just do something myself to fix erosions or should I talk to dealer? I don't really want to deal with insurance and that shop they sent me to again if can avoid it.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there a one year warranty on the paint?

Rmay635703 likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    One would hope paint defects are under the bumper to bumper

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We once purchased a "new" car, 10~20 kms on the odo. A month or so later noticed paint peeling, and orange primer under. Long story short, it had sideswiped all along one side, against a bollard, coming off the ship or somewhere at the dock, and extensive (and poor quality) bodywork had been done then-and-there.

Dealership showed me the sales agreement I'd signed, which stated (in the fine print) that the car could sustain upward of 20% of it's retail value in repairs, without any need to disclose to the customer.

Long story short: dealerships like to pre-print stuff like this on their bill-of-sale documents, but there's nothing obligating you to agree to this. You can for example, cross out 20% and replace with $500 or whatever. If dealership will not sign off on this revision, shop elsewhere.

Anyway, it "might" be one of these dockside repairs. Dealership might go to bat for you; they sorta did in my case, ended up trading to another vehicle, for a generous trade-in value.

5. Dan Y

Dan Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Thanks everybody! I'll definitely check on the warranty details and likely go to the dealer (always a bit of a pain and slightly dangerous since they don't wear masks there and this is the era of pandemic!) If no relief there, what are simple home repair for these littler weird erosions?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with both points about dealers. a necessary evil, even in the best of times.