1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd experience at higher speed tonight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rustystew, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey ya'll!

I've been reading about gliding and warp stealth and all that buggermerall, and on my way home tonight I was stuck behind someone going 50, maybe not so bad as it is an excuse not to use too much gas considering the speed limit on the interstates here (I was on the interstate) is 75. However, I decided it was time to get past this guy and when I went to accelerate my engine just seemed to rev up fairly noisily with little to no acceleration. Backing off the accelerator and easing into it again had the same results, seemingly high RPMs (I have no way of really knowing this currently) and virtually no power. I finally just stuck with it and it eventually started doing it's thing correctly again, but I noticed once the panic subsided that my battery level had only 2 bars left. It really felt like trying to accelerate in too low a gear.

Could this have been a cause of using up my battery prior to the attempted acceleration and not having any backup for the ICE? I can't seem to make heads or tails of it, and I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it considering I just got my car tuesday. Any thoughts links or anything else are appreciated.

On the plus side I got 62.7mpg over 22 miles home even with this incident. Once I'm off the highway it's like rolling down a 15minute hill. Quite nice, until you have to go back up in the morning.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When the traction battery charge is really low then yes it does make the engine work harder and rev out more to try and get power. However I'm not sure why your traction battery would have been in such a low state of charge.

At 50MPH the engine should be running most of the time and the state of charge should normally be sitting up around 5 or 6 bars.

- Did you climb any really large hills just prior to this?
    - Was the car still warming up during this event?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I just noticed that part. Keep your eye on the SOC (state of charge) and watch out for any very rapid swings (like 7 bars down to 2 or the other way around). It might indicate that you've got a weak battery pack.

Also note that one place where you can get a rapid SOC swing is starting out with a cold engine. If you have to drive hard or climb a hill with engine still cold then it can use up the battery really fast. Better to let it warm up in park for about 30 to 40 seconds if you need to drive hard from the get go.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could also have a weak 12v battery. Is the 12v the original? If it is, it may be at the end of its useful life. My first step would be to replace the 12v battery and see how the car behaves.

5. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool I'll keep an eye on it. What exactly constitutes rapid swings? I'm pretty sure my SOC goes through all the bars and doesn't jump directly from 7 to 2 or vise versa but will definitely watch it today. I'm pretty sure I'd never seen the SOC at two bars before anyway. As far as the "Did I just go up a hill part" yes, that particular on-ramp drops you onto the interstate to accelerate from about 40 to 70 up a long hill. Not the steepest grade hill, but you can definitely feel it dragging you down in most normal cars. Also, I believe the car was fairly warm however on many days it will be cold. I had done some light driving around town and my last stop I was there maybe 30 minutes before jumping back into my car. I might start taking the access road to the next on ramp where the terrain starts leveling out some on the interstate.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rusty, I live in Eldorado and have the same problem. It is uphill all the way from the house to Bobcat crossing, 4 miles at 100 feet/mile of elevation gain. I can start off with 7 bars on the battery gauge, but by the time I get there it is one or two bars left. I can floor it to pass someone, but the engine is maxed out and instantaneous mileage drops down into the teens. I can imagine, if you start out from Galisteo, you might be down to 2 bars before you even get to the freeway, especially pushing hard over Lamy hill. On the way back, it can be a similar problem, such as starting out from e.g. Zafarano/Rodeo, going uphill to I-25, then getting on I-25 at the uphill onramp and getting up to 75 MPH so as not to get clobbered.

7. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seilerts. Yes. That is precisely what I am working with here. The challenges of beginning your commute both ways up hill are brutal. I was watching my SOC on my way in today. I started with 5 bars and within minutes I was at 2 bars. From my house along 41 to 285 is not completely uphill, just a general incline and slightly hilly. At the bottom of Lamy hill I had 3 bars then up I went, yeah the teens on impg came real quick. A little downhill then another slow uphill grind for a few miles to I-25 which then I have to get up to 75mph. My SOC was back in the upper mid range by the time I got to the office.

Does all this sound like normal battery charge activity?

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know the region rustystew, but it sounds about right if you're starting out up hills. Try the trick of letting it warm up for about 45 seconds (in park) and see if that helps

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, for us, yes. I just wish there was a way to scale back assist on the mild inclines like there is in my Insight.

1 person likes this.
  10. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would an EBH (engine block heater) help with this at all? I kind of let it sit before going anywhere anyway while I get everything situated for my drive.

Back to my original question again then, knowing now that I'm going to struggle with battery charge on a regular basis. Does low battery charge account for what I described in my original post? High RPM/VERY low acceleration? If not, then I need to keep the discussion open to other options and continue troubleshooting.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You probably don't need an EBH unless you get really cold winters. When you let it warm up while in "park" it pre-charges the battery a bit before you take off. Also the pre-warmed engine doesn't hit so much on the battery for assistance in the first minute or so.

The small 1.5L atkinson-cycle engine just doesn't provide a huge amount of power for 3500 pound Prius. The electric motor is meant to offset this by providing extra power for acceleration. So (depending upon your expectations) the prius can be a bit under-powered when the traction battery is too low. What you're described is just what it does, engine rev's harder to try to provide enough power when the SOC is very low.

The best thing you can do is to monitor your state of charge more closely until you're used to it. Try to figure out what part of your drive is depleting it and see if any modifications to technique can help maintain better SOC in this area.

1 person likes this.
  12. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much! That's exactly what I need to know. Last winter was brutally cold here. Not tons of snow, but one of the coldest places in the country during that big snowstorm that swept across america. The winters typically are pretty cold here since we are at a higher elevation, but last year was exceptional so as winter approaches I may get one anyway.

13. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Starting up and waiting 50 seconds before you move (or turn on the AC!) is the best advice. Also, if you have an EV button, don't use it.

14. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through the same thing not long ago, and it seems not so much a hardware problem as soft(as in the head)ware.

Having gone through years of auto transmission vehicles, have gotten used to a passing, or kick-down gear. Need to pass, whomp the accelerator and the trans shifts to a lower gear. Kinda like an afterburner.

Besides the hybrid part of the equation, the Prius also has a constant variable transaxle, so there's no 'lower gear' to kick down to. Couple this with ECU control over the whole process and there doesn't seem to be any real 'passing' gear. Maybe they can add a passing button or program the thing to dump full power to the wheels when the accelerator is rapidly mashed.

In the meantime, just have to learn the limitations of a new vehicle and drive accordingly. After that one experience, I'll not be doing any "squeaker" passing in the future. Little too close for comfort.

15. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to add something to the good advice - not sure if it was made clear why the 50 second wait is a good idea, rustystew.

In the first 50 seconds-minute of turning on your car even though you hear the engine running, all of your acceleration comes from the battery. After that the car rapidly recharges the battery still in warmup mode to get you back to a normal state of charge. That's why people suggest letting it sit if you know you're going all uphill right away for a long time. I've tried idling for a minute or so from time to time, but always just found it got me worse mileage in my particular situation (read: terrain), so I avoid it.

However, I would personally avoid getting up to high speeds like a highway within the first 50 seconds of operation, and it's probably good for you to idle at least a little if you do that routinely. I sometimes find myself at two purple bars after startup just from getting up to 40 mph up a slight hill. If you need the engine badly during this phase, you'll get it - but with aggressively high RPMs just like you described.

16. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's exactly what happens if you fully depress the accelerator, which is why the engine straight away jumps to high RPM - you are getting full power and you will begin to accelerate.

17. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for filling me in Mike. I live right on a highway that just "slows down" through town. Within 1-2 minutes I'm in the 55mph zone already and that never slows down from there only increasing to 75 once I get to the interstate. Then I work right off the interstate so coming home, I'm jumping right on at 75 uphill within only a few minutes. I will definitely wait that minute or so. Should help quite a bit.

Also Mike, I posted a question on your blog from your thursday post.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have the cause and effect reversed. The low battery SOC is why your ICE revved up without producing much acceleration. Much of the power of the ICE was being used to recharge the HV battery, so only a portion was left for acceleration.

Tom

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah that explains it, you definitely should let it warm up (in park).

BTW. The reason I always say to use "park" is that it allows the engine to generate electrical power while it's at idle. Because of the prius's unique power split transmission it is unable to generate electrical power from the engine without also providing torque to the wheels. As such it wont allow electrical power generation if you're stopped (eg to warm up) in either "N" or in "D" with your foot on the brake.

If you're in "P" then while it's warming up you should see the following energy screen (see attachment). So this give the added benefit of giving the battery a little bit of extra charge as well as warming up.

Attached Files:

20. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the explanation guys. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. It will also be my first cold driving trip. Supposed to snow tonight with a high of only 45 tomorrow. And we have been having nice weather too. Has been in the mid to high 60's for a good while now.