1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

odd noise after being off for hours

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by south central, May 24, 2012.

1. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if this is the right area to post, but something strange just happened with our Prius c.

We got home from a 100 mile trip around 1pm today. It was rather warm and we ran the AC during the trip. I parked in the usual manner, but I left the AC settings in the "on" position. At that time, with the car off, there was a "fan running" type noise near the firewall, passengers side, which we haven't heard before. This is our first hybrid and it makes odd little noises sometimes...

Just now, after 7 hours of being parked, shifter in P, the keys extracted & us passing by it periodically this afternoon, Gary walked by the "c" and it was making a whirring noise. The noise seemed to be coming from the underside rear part of the car.

Gary had me get the keys and turn on the ignition to "ready". The noise quit and the gas engine started immediately and the battery was down to 1/2. Usually we can back out of the garage on battery before the gas engine starts.

Any ideas? We think it has something to do with the AC being left to the on position with the car off. But that's strange...

Deb

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    From the owner's manual:

Noise from under vehicle after turning off the hybrid system:
    Approximately five hours after the hybrid system is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

3. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that's a relief! I guess if all else fails, refer to the manual. hehe
    :)
    Thanks,
    Deb

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prii will make all sorts of hums, whirs and clicks, just the car doin it's thing! If the AC was on when you restarted the car, that's probably why the engine came on right away. But the hvac system does not do anything while the car is off. It's still strange to hear people talk about turning the key in the ignition in a Prius!:p

5. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that. We've heard it whirr and hum, but because this was so later on, it caught us off guard. :)

Humm, OK you must have that new fangled pocket fob with button start all the kids are ravin' about. :D Ours is a Prius c trim 2, so I guess we're Old School. hehe.

2000 + miles and we still look at each other and smile when we pull up to a stop light and the car goes silent. ;)

Deb