1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd Noise After Startup & Shutdown (Inverter Pump?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusNoob86, Jan 25, 2022.

1. PriusNoob86

PriusNoob86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey there,

First posting here! I just bought my first Prius a few weeks back. Used 2007 with 172K miles. When I purchased it from the used dealer, I had it inspected by a third party who told me the sound coming from engine after starting the car and shutting it down was likely the inverter water pump going bad, and that I'd probably expect to have to replace it within 3-6 months. Proactively, I bought an OEM pump on eBay and replaced it last weekend, only to discover the noise remains. It sure sounds like this is the device causing the sound, but I was surprised to hear it after replacing the part. It seems to last about 10 seconds before quieting down.

Thoughts?

Thanks a ton!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What third party did you use? One that knows a prius right?

shut down there is a coolant pump that pumps hot coolant to the thermos and startup it pumps the other direction. I have never had a failure with this pump, it’ll just make whistling noises as it ages. The whistling noises go for about 10 seconds while it’s pumping.

3. PriusNoob86

PriusNoob86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They claimed to know a bit about them, but that was not their specialty. So based on the noise you're hearing, that seems normal for its age? And that is not the inverter water pump?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the inverter pump usual just fails without prior symptoms

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pumps don't always make noise as they age, some do , some don't. My experience with them is they are more annoying than anything else. But the sound only lasts 10 seconds so you can basically ignore it.

You should keep the inverter pump you replaced, keep it as a spare part. Hopefully the one you bought to replace it with, is a real genuine part and not some garbage fake part that's all over Ebay

6. PriusNoob86

PriusNoob86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks. Good advice. It came in an OEM Toyota/Lexus box, so hopefully that means something. But who knows!

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fake parts usually come in a Toyota/Lexus box. If that part fails, you'll have your old spare ready.