1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd Sound coming from A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ingyaningya, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ingyaningya

ingyaningya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all,

I had previously posted a thread under the same title regarding an odd noise originating from my air conditioning unit. One person suggested that the sound might be coming from air in the coolant, while another suggested it might be coming from the air mix control servo. To date, I still have been unable to specify where the sound is originating from: after further observation, I feel as if it might be the air mix control servo but I'm still not sure. I have attached here a .zip file with a audio I recorded the sound in action (the audio quality is not the best, so you might need to turn your volume up). The best way i can describe it is a mix somewhere between gurgling and clicking. Do you guys have any experience with sounds like this?

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Odd sound for sure. Does it change any if you manually change fan speed settings?

iPhone X ?

3. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The sound continuously goes off even when the a/c unit is off. So regardless of fan speed it will continue to sound.

4. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And I'm not sure if you were asking if i have an iPhone X, but i have an iPhone 7 in case you were inquiring what I recorded it on :p

5. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, It’s a Tapatalk thing. If the noise doesn’t change with fans speeds, I’d say it’s a hyperactive Electronic servo motor. The A/C refrigerant doesn’t really make sounds since the liquid turns to gas as it flows through the evaporator. Coolant in the heater circuit could gurgle if the system is full of air.

iPhone X ?

6. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had figured the sound was originating from the servo motor. Is that something that can be fixed DIY? Because I can only imagine the dealer charging an arm and a leg for a repair to that mechanism.

Thanks!

7. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s hard to say. Working under the dash on HVAC components is always a huge pita. As long as the system appears to function properly aside from the noise, I’d leave it alone. I’m a DIY’r and don’t have to much issue digging into the dash like that. But I also research YouTube videos to see if there is something out there the would show the disassembly of the dash to gain access to you components to be replaced.

iPhone X ?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where is the microphone in your recording? Under dash on the driver's side?

See if things/sounds change when you select the air output, change from vent to foot area or defrost. See if the click sound changes or pauses

9. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In that recording I actually had the microphone pointed towards the passenger side A/C vent. As far as I can tell, it sounds like the noise originates more from the passenger side rather than the driver side.

DLC82SV likes this.
  10. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I made a recording of it underneather the driver side too, but the audio quality was poor and there was a lot of ambient noise.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok you most likely have a leaf stuck in your fan blades.

Remove the bottom glove box to access the cabin air filter. Remove the filter and the fan will be underneath it. Reach your hand in there and clean out any debris.

If the cabin air filter is dirty, change it out

DLC82SV likes this.
  12. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would debris in the fan blades still cause a sound even if the air conditioning is off? Because the sound will continue even after I've had the A/C off for a period of time. My car is in the shop right now so I don't have access to it at the moment. But I did change the air filter a little over a year ago, so I wouldn't think it should need to be changed so soon.

13. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't think he was saying change your filter. He was telling you how to get at the leaf without paying someone else to do it. Which would simply require removing your filter, and clearing the fan of debris and assuming the filter was installed properly and is still clean, you can reinstall it.

14. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't think he was saying to change the air filter to stop the noise, I was just throwing that in as any information that might be useful. I also was asking if a leaf or debris in the fan could actually be the cause of the noise, because it continues to sound even when the A/C is off, and I would imagine the fan wouldn't be moving when the A/C is off.

DLC82SV likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the noise is still present with the AC off, then it's probably not debris in the fan.

Last time my 2006 had this noise, it was the motor servo that made a constant clicking noise. The noise would change or go away momentarily when I switch the airflow from Vent to Defrost...or Vent to any other selection. That forces the servo to move.

16. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've read lots of posts on this website saying that cleaning the servo and greasing it may help, could that work for me if I tired it? I have seen lots of YouTube videos showing the actual mechanism, but have never seen where it is actually located. I know that it is underneath the driver's side panel, but I am not exactly sure where.

A few months ago my A/C had a problem where no air would come out of the vents unless I put the A/C on maximum speed, then it would force the air out and it would operate like normal. I haven't had this happen in a long time, but just wanted to mention it in case it gave you any insight.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't read on here about this problem but if you search you tube, you'll find these problems on many other cars. It's an electrical problem and it looked to me it was not a different part to change out. But regarding the strange sound, the servo's make a clicking sound. The sound in your provided clip sounds more like a rubbing sound...like debris

DLC82SV likes this.
  18. ingyaningya

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I'll check the fan when I get the car back, but since the sound continues even when the A/C is off, it seems unlikely.

19. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Debris contacting a blower fan is going to have a constant frequency and somewhat high speed.

The sound in the clip is more irregular

Tick.tick.....tick....tick..tick.......tick.tick.......tick....etc. this is a sound I’ve heard before on a different vehicle with automatic temperature control. The servo actuator would make these odd tick noises from time to time. The system always performed fine but it did always make me wonder when it was going to fail. It Never did in the time we owned it.

iPhone X ?

DLC82SV likes this.
  20. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You said your car is in the shop? Is that be for something unrelated? Or do you expect to get it back with the same problem?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.