1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odometer and actual ICE mileage.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Stratman, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the odometer operates all the time, how do I know the number of actual miles on the ICE? My round trip work commute is less than 15 miles. My wife and I do 3 miles everyday at the park and that's about 4 miles round trip. During the above daily driving I'm in EV mode probably over 50% of the time.

2. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the odometer operates all the time, how do I know the number of actual miles on the ICE? My round trip work commute is less than 15 miles. My wife and I do 3 miles everyday at the park and that's about 4 miles round trip. During the above daily driving I'm in EV mode probably over 50% of the time.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I can't think of any reason to know this, it is just math. If you know the total odometer and the % of Hybrid travel Odometer * HV travel /100 = HV Mileage

4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why do you need to know the ICE mileage?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the same reason on any other vehicle. The odometer is relatively useless if I don't know what is being indicated. Given the type equipment I work on, I'm guessing there are other meters available in a diagnostic mode.

6. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. I don't understand why anyone would not want to know. To me it would be like buying any other type vehicle used and when asked the salesman says "maybe 50k maybe 100k, why would any one want to know".

csp1971 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the liftback have a lifetime hv/ev %? i don't think the ice is only on 50% of the time, but i'm guessing as well. going forward, perhaps a scangauge will help, but i don't know if it records something like an hour meter.

8. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check Techstream for engine hours.

9. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well with any ICE vehicle you never know how many hours the engine has run. Just the number of miles. Lots of delivery trucks never turn off the engine while stopped.

With the Prius there are times when the ICE is spinning with-out any gas being injected. How do you count this time?

I agree it would be nice to know the total run hours of the ICE.

10. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes the ICE spins without using gas. No gas, no injection and no ignition, all computer controlled and are easily tracked. If the engine is spinning without ignition, then it is not running, just turning. Very low load, but still lubricated metal against metal.

So why is it OP wants data on engine running? Keep track of gas used and you might be able to convert that to engine hours. But I would check Techstream and see if there was an engine hour timer.

11. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Odometers measure miles traveled on all cars! You might like an engine hours meter but even that doesn't really tell you much because its how hard the engine works, under what conditions that is important. If a conventional car sits idling in 100 degree heat and coolant at maximum temperature for an hour (no miles) is that the same as 4o mph on a cool day and coolant at 190 degrees for an hour?

The ICE does't have to work for all those odometer miles. It doesn't have to work when you are stopped (ICE off) and perhaps the ICE is off some modest percent of the time at speeds below 40 mph. Just enjoy the fact the ICE (and brakes) will last a really long time!

Stratman and gliderman like this.
  12. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks but I was right about there being other counters including hours on ICE. I'm guessing its in a higher diagnostic level probably inaccessible to the average Toyota technician. Anything software driven has a debug level.

13. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And, adding a little "...flysh!t...to the pepper..." there is likewise the question of engine speeds (RPMs) the engine was turning when its engine-hours are being recorded, ie: stopped; at idle; at low-speed low-load; at high-speed low-load; or at high-speed high-load? It's definitely NOT a simple linear relationship like other vehicles follow.

14. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems that sensor readings and calculations like those used in oil life monitors would make a lot of sense with the Prius. I suspect that Toyota conservatively calculated that the duty cycle of the Prius ICE was safely above 10K, so they just set the oil change interval at 10K.

jhinsc and CaliforniaBear like this.
  15. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some GM have a hour meter you can check.