1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odometer limited to 299,999 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 80Kayear, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems to me Toyota owes owners a decent solution. Re-zeroing the display, with a secure sticker explaining what's been done, for example. Coupled with some documentaion.

DIY hacking the software to rollback the odo sounds like a Pandora's Box, best left alone, for legal reasons.

2. Desertdeals69

Desertdeals69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a 07 with 359,000 + miles on the odometer. It was a Las Vegas taxi.

3. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, mine just froze at 299999 km.

4. NatxoPrius

NatxoPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am stuck also at 299.999 and mine is 2004 (it is spanish so mine are km).

5. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i was hoping this thread would be more helpful like telling you what you could swap out from the junkyard with a newer model to start getting mileage again

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My recollection from reading a while back is that you can buy a remanufactured display with the higher limit. I think the guy was in TX.

7. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look up Texas Hybrids and call Matt. Great guy. He can send you a reconditioned combination meter with a lifetime warranty. You'll actually have to change 2 circuit boards to upgrade to the 06-09, but everything works fine. You have to pull the dash out completely to get to them.

donbright and Another like this.
  8. JDonovan

JDonovan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy to know there isnt anything wrong with my car……hit 299k a couple weeks ago. Did anyone have trouble with insurance? Or registration? Places where you must list your mileage!?! Doesnt sound like there are any easy fixes?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point. Up here you can get a 10% discount with the main auto insurer (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, aka ICBC), if you can prove yearly kms are under 5000. With typical insurance that's at least $100 you'd be missing out on...

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easiest fix is the one mentioned in the post above yours.

11. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it even legal in the US to sell a car where the odometer self destructs like that? Somehow I don't think so. I know it is OK if the odometer rolls over to 0, at least in CA, so long as a permanent plaque is affixed somewhere to show that one must add 100K (or whatever) to whatever is shown to get the true mileage.

I know that Toyota has a way to reset the odometer mileage. When the cap failed (while under a warranty) Toyota replaced that board in the dash, and they set the replacement unit to the mileage of the previous time I had come in for service. So my odometer is about 300 miles lower than the actual mileage. Anyway, the point was, they did have some way of setting that number on the board. Sadly, to do so the entire dash needs to come apart to reach it. (When they did that service they botched the reassembly, failing to reconnect the air routing control wiring, so I could direct the air down, or to the windshield. So back it went to fix that too.)

Mendel Leisk likes this.