1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odometer stuck at 299,999

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Close, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Close

Close Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My 2005 Prius recently hit 299,999 miles and the odometer stopped. Has anyone else had this happen, and what did you do about it?

Thanks

themaryk likes this.
  2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much unless you're willing to swap out your existing combination meter which is not worth the effort or expense IMHO.

I see it as an advantage. If you ever sell it you can honestly state that the odometer reading is 299,999 miles even if
    it has 500,000 miles on it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is the max. that it is designed to display.

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am pretty sure Toyota changed the 299,999 mile odo limit in 2006. You can try and buy a 2006 - 2009 combination meter on a used market and replace yours, but I am not sure what happens to the mileage on that other meter. Perhaps there is a way to set the mileage on the bench?

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a feature not a bug!

Yes there is a way to pair a new odometer with an old car, by programming the higher miles into the donor (or new) dash. But it is a dealer job.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This problem exists in 2004-2005 Prius and was rectified in the 2006-2009 facelift. A dealer cannot (will not) repair this, as it would require retrofitting a 2006-2009 combination meter and light cluster, which they do not do. If the combination meter went out (a different problem to the OP), they would fit a new 2004-2005 combination meter programmed with the current milage. This is of no use to the OP.

However, there is an option which you can read about by clicking on the "Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, who's affected and what you can do about it." link in my signature.

srellim234 likes this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was not aware that the intrusment cluster for the mid-model refresh was incompatible with the 2004-2005. I know it is a little different, but the CAN messages it uses to detect and set everything are the same. I could understand a dealer tech not doing it just because it is "not in the book", but is there actually a real world reason for not doing so?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is incompatible in the sense that a 2006-2009 CM can't go in a 2004-2005 without also changing the light cluster. You will have all sorts of weirdness if you don't change both. Further, you need to locate the LED for the TPMS and remove it, as the 2004-2005 did not have TPMS, and if you don't remove the LED, you will have the TPMS light on forever. That is the only mod you need to make, and it will then work just like a 2006-2009.

If you look at the link I mentioned in my post it gives all the details which was all worked out by Matt @ Texas Hybrid Batteries, so I can't take any credit. Just passing on the information.

As far as Toyota doing this, unless they are up to speed with the fact it is possible, I doubt you will get a dealer to do it. It is not in "the book", so it can't be done as far as they are concerned. There is no real world reason not to do it, and Texas Hybrid Batteries has done a few as they offer it as a value add service, including programming the odo with the correct milage that you supply them.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's the SOP for my Prius lol. TPMS sensors died years ago, the light is my little buddy letting me know the car is still processing errors.

#9 2k1Toaster, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We still sell these meter upgrades on a regular basis. Just like @dolj said it's a combo meter and a light cluster from a 2006 or newer Prius that's had the TPMS warning indicator removed. The odometers are programmed before we ship them so it will match your cars mileage when it goes in. The combo meters are upgraded to prevent the common "blacked out display" issue and come with a lifetime warranty. It's $150 for everything.

Matt

srellim234 and VFerdman like this.
  11. themaryk

themaryk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius hit 299,999 yesterday. I was already with my camera to snap the photo when it rolled over to 300,000. Sadly it never did. Stuck where it's at, but it runs like new. Love my little Prius.. best car, best mileage consistently 52.4+, tank after tank after tank.

12. Yoel Feuermann

Yoel Feuermann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys.. Just happened to me. 299,999km.. Maybe if I changed to miles it would give me some more room lol..

But seriously, how do I order this setup as @Texas Hybrid Batteries offered?

@dolj I cannot see your signature. Please aend the link.. Thanks!

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go. I’m guessing shipping might be slightly higher as it has to go to Israel.

Texas Prius Battery Replacement

14. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you need to replace not just the combination meter, but also the other dash lights. Otherwise you will get strange behavior as they have changed the pinout of the combination meter in '06+ as well as the dash lights. It was all part of the mid-cycle face lift. So you basically have to convert the whole dash to post-facelift and it will all work just fine.