1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odor in 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bklein4488, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Bklein4488

Bklein4488 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 Prius. This odor that some have described as a horse smell is actually more like that of a horse stall which is generally moldy hay. Has anyone found a cure? I was told by triple A to run the vehicle with the heat on for a couple of hours. I am thinking using an ozone generator while the cubicle is running may be a better fix. Any other suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't it the vent tubes for the hybrid battery?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3 things cause odor in a G2.

1---Poorly maintained AC evap box under the dash. Smell the ac vents if the smell is there its easy to fix buy Kool It on amazon.com and inject that up the ac condensate drip tube under the car. Kool It is cheap if dealer does that is about $150. If thats never been done the condenser in front of the rad is probably bug caked and killing your ac efficiency. First time use 2 cans. The drip tube may be clogged and its dumping nasty condensate on the front passenger carpet. Again not maintained.

2---Inside the hybrid battery metal box there's 2 long thin black rubber tubes. Many reports of the stench of those as they get old and break down. they smell really bad.. Lots of posts about that. Some cars get it some don't. I am lucky so far. Smell the hybrid battery cooling vent its in the backseat between the passenger seat and the door about shoulder high its a small vent. Smell that vent and see if the stink is in there.if so battery box needs to come out and those rubber tubes replaced.

3---The interior of your car got wet and the carpet is soaked usually in the backseat. Very common as G2's leak.

You may just bought it. It may be a salvage car. Lots and lots of those from flooded states. And carpet got soaked. Yours may have a bad leak in the trunk and the rear hatch is filled with stagnant water. Lots of G2's leak water mine does. Comes from a crack in the body seam where the roof and the quarter panel meet. Easy to see the crack its in the top corner valley of the rear hatch. Usually pass side.

Take the hatch cover out remove the spare tire and look for water. Get a flashlight and look in the bottom of the 12 volt battery well it probably has standing water. There's a rubber plug in that well you can remove and there's a rubber plug below the spare tire you can remove.

donbright and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to track down the source of the odor is the first step, and not necessarily easy.
    Without knowing where the odor is coming from, it's hard to suggest what you need to do.

Is it coming from the air circulation system?
    Is it coming from any particular area?

What you would do for a smell coming from the AC or circulation system is quite a bit different from what you would do if you find a leak, or some area of your vehicle that is molding.

First step is narrowing this down.

5. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you haven't already checked the cabin filter, do so. Mice are looking for warm winter homes now!

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some folks have leaks that fill up the area where the 12v battery resides in the passenger side of the rear hatch area of the car.
    Check there for water. As well as the same area on the driver's side.

Mendel Leisk likes this.